Dalian Atkinson

Pongotastic

To the tune of spirit in the sky

Dalian Atkinson, oh my oh my

Up with the Holte Enders in the Sky

Atkinson you were one of our best

We’re gonna sing your name and not forget

Don't have a go if you think it's crap - just thinking about him and wanting to remember him.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Brumerican said:

If any of the younger posters have never seen this game then put it on your "must do" list.

Is this the greatest ever match Villa played? Bar finals for the ultimate prize perhaps, but this match was amazing. I've watched it hundreds of times and I'll watch it another hundred times no doubt.

Atkinson with the leveller was great, but that mazy, Wimbledonesque, attempt right at the end would have been the best goal ever scored by a Villa player. A true Villa legend.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tinker said:

Tranmere semi, best goal in my greatest ever Villa game, I can see him heading the ball in now right in front of the Holte end , seemed to float like an angel, thanks Dalian RIP 

My favourite villa moment of all time

RIP Dalian.

A key member of the best Villa team I have seen live, the 92-93 team. 

Some great memories and great goals. Tragic end to his life

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Brumerican said:

If any of the younger posters have never seen this game then put it on your "must do" list.

I feel truly honoured that this was my first Villa match, sends a shiver down my spine whenever I think about it. Wasn't in to football much at the time, hooked from that day onwards!!!

Deeply saddened by the news about Dalian, he was part of the team that made me a Villa fan.

RIP Dalian, gone but not forgotten.

Dalian Atkinson was shot three or four times as he lay on the ground, according to eyewitnesses. 

The 48-year-old former Aston Villa footballer was apparently banging on the door of his father’s home before police were called.

Officers arrived at 1.30am to the home in Telford, Shropshire, before deploying a stun gun ‘multiple times’ before he suffered a cardiac arrest and died at 3am, according to witness accounts.

Mr Atkinson is said to have stumbled towards officers in a non-threatning manner, who warned they would fire unless he stopped.  

Paula Quinn, who lives in a first-floor flat near the Atkinson property in Trench, told the BBC: "They were shouting and kicking so much all I could hear were the boots hitting him.

"And then the officer who released the Taser stepped back while the other officer still continued to kick and then I could hear him shout to the other officer that was still kicking, 'Back off, back off, back off.'

"And then the officer with the Taser asked the gentleman to put his hands behind his back and did so probably two or three times and reactivated the Taser another four or five times after that."

It has been claimed that Mr Atkinson had been suffering health issues and was battling kidney problems and a weak heart. 

Speaking near where his uncle was hit with the stun gun, Fabian Atkinson said: "He had some health issues that he was trying to get through and that's why his heart was weak.

"When a Taser is deployed, as soon as a Taser is deployed, they need to automatically call an ambulance. How do they know the health of the guy or the girl that they are affecting?"

Deborah Coles, director of Inquest, a charity that supports families bereaved by deaths in custody, said there will be particular concern over the latest incident because Mr Atkinson was black.

"There's a lot of disquiet over the disproportionate number of people from BME (black and minority ethnic) communities who are dying at the hands of the police. This will understandably raise questions about whether the use of the Taser was proportionate in the circumstances.

"The risks are not fully understood. It's vital that the death is subject to the highest scrutiny to establish why it was used."

The police watchdog, the Independent Police Complains Commission, has confirmed it will examine the ‘use of force’

Independent.

41 minutes ago, Brumerican said:

I remember this match so well, what a feeling when Bozzy saved that last penalty. Brings it all back watching it again now. That team was my favourite of all time. Bosnich, Teale, McGrath, Richardson, Houghton, Daley, Deano and of course Dalian were all class acts. When people ask me why I support Villa, I can't explain how this team made me feel as a teenager. I feel bad for the young Villa fans of today that have never experienced this level of glory. 

Still can't believe Dalian is gone, over something so trivial (when compared to a life). 

RIP Dalian 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Gary Thomas said:

To the tune of spirit in the sky

Dalian Atkinson, oh my oh my

Up with the Holte Enders in the Sky

Atkinson you were one of our best

We’re gonna sing your name and not forget

Don't have a go if you think it's crap - just thinking about him and wanting to remember him.

I feel the same Gary.

Here's my effort in tribute to the Wimbledon goal, to The Wombles theme tune no less!

Selhurst Park was the ground, the Wombles we beat,

Dalian Atkinson beats one, two and three,

Crosses the halfway line, how can we forget,

Over the keeper and into the net!!!

• Like 1

like most on here I started supporting Villa around early 90s and he was always an entertaining player, Saunders was probably more composed around the box but Dalian made things happen. I think he one of England footballs lost talents, left Villa at 27 and he never really got going again

this is probably 1st time I ever got upset about death of somebody who you would say is famous but it is tough especially regarding circumstances. my thoughts are with his family and I expect club and fans to have a fitting tribute tomorrow

• Like 2

Wow, just saw that lady 'witness' interviewed on bbc news. Says she saw him tasered, him fall, and then the police pile round and start kicking him.  ''They were kicking him and shouting at him but i couldnt hear what they were saying, erm coz of the sound of the boots hitting him''....

Not the most convincing statement, and i hope its just the ramblings of a nutter. Poor Dalian, im **** gutted, a proper hero of mine growing up.

25 minutes ago, Rodders said:

I grew up on vhs tapea of the 92/3 and 93/4 seasons. How often I must have watched those tranmere semi games! RIP Dalian.

Same here Rodders, I must have played that 92/93 season tape to its tangled worn out end. We were so close to winning the league back then. 

28 minutes ago, jackbauer24 said:

Is this the greatest ever match Villa played? Bar finals for the ultimate prize perhaps, but this match was amazing. I've watched it hundreds of times and I'll watch it another hundred times no doubt.

Atkinson with the leveller was great, but that mazy, Wimbledonesque, attempt right at the end would have been the best goal ever scored by a Villa player. A true Villa legend.

Probably. I dont know how Tranmere fans come to terms with this game. We had about 15 get out of jail cards. Its amazin how we didnt lose.

Late goal in the first leg to bring us back into the tie

Bosnich not getting sent off for taking Aldridge out

Atkinson's late equalizer in the second leg

O'Brien hitting the post with that free-kick in stoppage time

Them having a penalty to win it and missing.

God was a Villa that day! What amazes me about the 3rd Villa goal is that not one Tranmere player even approaches Daley when he gets the ball from that free-kick despite us passing over there before it was called back to be re-taken. The worst defending I've ever seen. Also Nixon the Tranmere keeper didnt even dive for a single goal, awful performance.

6 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

Same here Rodders, I must have played that 92/93 season tape to its tangled worn out end. We were so close to winning the league back then. 

I remember playing a VHS called Goals, Goals, Goals until it was worn out and attempting to recreate several of them with a ball in the back garden. It was the goals of the first Premier League season so Villa (and Dalian) featured a lot on it! 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, carlitobrigante said:

Wow, just saw that lady 'witness' interviewed on bbc news. Says she saw him tasered, him fall, and then the police pile round and start kicking him.  ''They were kicking him and shouting at him but i couldnt hear what they were saying, erm coz of the sound of the boots hitting him''....

Not the most convincing statement, and i hope its just the ramblings of a nutter. Poor Dalian, im **** gutted, a proper hero of mine growing up.

I question why the BBC released released that part of the witness interview as they sat on it all day.

Absolutely disgusting if true.

Edited by Holtern8

Â