Pierluigi Gollini

BOF

• 2 weeks later...

Looked better in the last few games. But pretty sure he will have to prove himself to bruce, who might bring in another keep in Jan (In fact I expect to him to).

Can't believe RDM with all his years in the game choose to go with a 21 year old as first choice - basics to be honest.

Nothing against PG - he may go on to be a good keeper in time. 

On 1 October 2016 at 19:19, Genie said:

Gollini is a big part of why we are on the mess we are. I hope the club are working on bringing in an experienced keeper in January for whoever is manager.

Oh my, just read this... Gollini a big part of why we are in this mess?? A young keeper who joined just in the summer responsible for the clubs demise? Hahahaha. 5 years of shit and gollini is a big part?! Really? Actually, like, for real? he's made a number of good saves this year from games I've seen (Newcastle, Ipswich spring to mind) that's not including ones I haven't seen. Is agree, mistakes have been made but the last few games he's grown and showing his strengths. But no, he's a big part of the reason why villa are where we are now! 

8 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

Oh my, just read this... Gollini a big part of why we are in this mess?? A young keeper who joined just in the summer responsible for the clubs demise? Hahahaha. 5 years of shit and gollini is a big part?! Really? Actually, like, for real? he's made a number of good saves this year from games I've seen (Newcastle, Ipswich spring to mind) that's not including ones I haven't seen. Is agree, mistakes have been made but the last few games he's grown and showing his strengths. But no, he's a big part of the reason why villa are where we are now!

Its fairly simple mate, we dropped a lot of points early in the season through personal errors of his. Lost points, low league position, club not where it wanted to be etc.

He seems to have settled down a bit in more recent games which is great news.

1 hour ago, RimmyJimmer said:

Can't believe the level of criticism this guy gets yet mr guzan was given so much slack it was quite unbelievable...and I mean guzans early days. 

5 years of shit will do that to you. Gollini could pick the ball up, do a 180 and drop kick the ball into his own net and I wouldn't be outraged at this point.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RimmyJimmer said:

Can't believe the level of criticism this guy gets yet mr guzan was given so much slack it was quite unbelievable...and I mean guzans early days. 

I have nothing against Gollini - other than he isn't yet ready to be our number 1 keeper. Thats not his fault. 

• Like 1

On 28/09/2016 at 16:16, StefanAVFC said:

A keeper isn't allowed to make a mistake, labelled a clown. Strikers miss multiple chances every game and they're regarded as our best players.

That's true and it is how it has always been, and should be (except the 'clown' bit).  Defensive players are judged on what they do wrong, because what they do wrong ends up as opposition goals.  Forward players are judged on what they do right.  To bring it to its extreme.  A world class defender is not someone who makes a world class clearance every game, it's a defender who never makes a mistake (meaning the opposition rarely score).  Whereas the striker or the attacking midfielder is judged on how they do their particular job.  If that job is scoring goals or creating chances etc, it's how many they do, not how many they don't do.

Right now, Gollini is a good goalkeeper with a clanger in him.  Hopefully that's experience.  But it does make him a potential weak link at key moments.  He can look very good and then look awful (equaliser v Barnsley IIRC).  Right now he's kind of like a goalkeeping Ciaran Clark, and I do mean that in a positive way.  Except Golly has a lot more time on his hands to sort it all out.

2 hours ago, Genie said:

Its fairly simple mate, we dropped a lot of points early in the season through personal errors of his. Lost points, low league position, club not where it wanted to be etc.

He seems to have settled down a bit in more recent games which is great news.

I don't think the goal against Sheff Wed or the one against Huddersfield were "his" errors.  He was part of the situation, but both were errors by the defenders involved initially.

I'd have Gollini as our number 1, personally.

He has made too many mistakes so far for me to deem him 'reliable', I think he has decent talent, but he really needs to sharpen up quickly. Whilst another keeper is not a top priority, I would like to see us sign one in the winter window if we can sort out the utter shit heap that is our midfield.

Just now, Dr_Pangloss said:

He has made too many mistakes so far for me to deem him 'reliable', I think he has decent talent, but he really needs to sharpen up quickly. Whilst another keeper is not a top priority, I would like to see us sign one in the winter window if we can sort out the utter shit heap that is our midfield.

Let him learn on the job - no other way to overcome those things.  A huge part of a goalkeepers' game is confidence.  If you make a few mistakes and just get dropped, you'll suffer for it.  It's an incredibly harsh position on the pitch in that respect and, for me, we'd be better off long-term for keeping Gollini between the sticks and letting him get used to handling pressure after mistakes as well as getting used to his teammates.

As you say, the midfield is a far more pressing concern.

• Like 2

Just now, bobzy said:

Let him learn on the job - no other way to overcome those things.  A huge part of a goalkeepers' game is confidence.  If you make a few mistakes and just get dropped, you'll suffer for it.  It's an incredibly harsh position on the pitch in that respect and, for me, we'd be better off long-term for keeping Gollini between the sticks and letting him get used to handling pressure after mistakes as well as getting used to his teammates.

As you say, the midfield is a far more pressing concern.

I don't think we should be offering keepers on the job training, it has already cost us points. Our immediate goal is promotion and that trumps any player development in my view. 

In fairness to Gollini he had to work for a shite manager, I would be inclined to give him another run under Bruce, if the errors disappear then we have to stick with them, but if they return at a similar rate then he needs to be dropped. 

The problem is while he is gaining confidence..... the outfield players are losing it.

We have to make our minds up what we want......a work in progress team or a team challenging/working for valuable points.

I have suspicion Bruce will secure another Keeper.....unless he can eradicate the soft errors while he's developing.

Bunn & Steer are not commanding enough for me, no presence.

He needs to command his area better. There were a number of balls put into the box tonight that he should have come for to instantly relieve the pressure but he didn't. I'd imagine the Barnsley balls up has left him lacking in confidence in coming out but he needs to get it back as given his size he should be picking balls out of the air. Having said that the is only 21 so it is no surprise our poor start has knocked him.

• Like 1

Â