Pierluigi Gollini

BOF

watching highlights and in 1st half they took a weak shot from outside the box and he parried it out for a needless corner

he needs spend next 10 days or so working on gripping long shots

I just watched the goals again about 10 times here: 

I really have no idea what the **** you're all on about

Goal 1: It bounced in front of him. Keepers are coached to parry bouncing balls. Could have been MAYBE a bit more to the side. Amavi asleep for the rebound.

Goal 2: Wtf was Westwood doing for the assist, holding the midfielders hand? Chester up out of the line. Finish was decent for 1v1

Goal 3: He didn't need to take any steps before the leap, so positioning was fine for me, finish was top corner.

Where's the problem? Or are you all just looking for a scapegoat?

Edited by mwj
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, Richard said:

5m asset been here 5 minutes and about to be destroyed . Typical villa 

At this point they have to keep playing him and hope for the best and that their initial judgement has been correct. If they bench him now it could destroy him. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Richard said:

5m asset been here 5 minutes and about to be destroyed . Typical villa 

Unfortunately Richard he has cost us points thus far, people were ok after the first, second but he was poor against bristol city so righly he is getting critised. The only way for him to turn it around is improved performances. I think we need another keeper as competition for him. Imagine he makes a clanger against blose at the sty for example? Fans will never forgive him.

24 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

I remember De Gea getting slaughtered for pretty much his whole first 12 months. Armchair experts at it again. Kid will be fine.

Are you not equally being an armchair expert by saying he will come good? What are you basing that off exactly? For me he has looked pretty good at times but he is costing us too many points, if this continues then he has to be dropped. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Unfortunately Richard he has cost us points thus far, people were ok after the first, second but he was poor against bristol city so righly he is getting critised. The only way for him to turn it around is improved performances. I think we need another keeper as competition for him. Imagine he makes a clanger against blose at the sty for example? Fans will never forgive him.

I'd forgive him when he saves a penalty from Messi to win the Champions League...

5 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Are you not equally being an armchair expert by saying he will come good? What are you basing that off exactly? For me he has looked pretty good at times but he is costing us too many points, if this continues then he has to be dropped. 

Just that at this stage id rather give him the chance and support him rather than completely knacker him.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

He's going to make mistakes, he isn't the finished article. If he was then he wouldn't have come to us and even if he would come to us he would have cost three times as much. He's a kid , I would prefer a decent back up as I don't rate steer or bunn but the important thing is this kid will improve and we want it to be with us. Just typical for us that we demand perfection and in so doing will do our best to finish his career before he is finished .

• Like 3

We have a couple of options with Gollini

Either drop him, or start scoring 2 - 3 goals a game so the mistakes he makes do not matter

Harsh but if we want to be promoted we need a solid goalkeeper to build from i'm not convinced

Edited by AshVilla

international break comes at a good time for him. More time to spend working together and relaxing before the next match. I'd stick with him for a while longer before taking him out of the firing line. It would help him and the defence a lot if the forward lot could actually give the side a breather by scoring 2nd and 3rd goals more often!

19 minutes ago, Richard said:

He's going to make mistakes, he isn't the finished article. If he was then he wouldn't have come to us and even if he would come to us he would have cost three times as much. He's a kid , I would prefer a decent back up as I don't rate steer or bunn but the important thing is this kid will improve and we want it to be with us. Just typical for us that we demand perfection and in so doing will do our best to finish his career before he is finished .

I don't think from my point of view anyway, it's demanding perfection it's just the mistakes are costing us. I would rather have someone challenge him for number one to keep him on his toes. As you say bunn, I dont rate him too. 

He is young so foes have potential that's why I think we need someone competing with him.

We aren't scoring many goals. That highlights the defensive/goalkeeper errors even more. Strikers/midfielders get more chances to get it right during a match, the defensive unit get one chance. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BG_Villa_Fan said:

At this point they have to keep playing him and hope for the best and that their initial judgement has been correct. If they bench him now it could destroy him. 

If they continue playing him while he is making mistakes it could destroy him. Its a tough call

Think he has potential but it's the one transfer I felt with we might regret - didn't need a fancy keeper this season, just a solid one with a bit of experience. Gollini might develop to the extent he is an international regular but the points we've dropped already might prove crucial come the end of the season.

14 hours ago, Richard said:

5m asset been here 5 minutes and about to be destroyed . Typical Villa Talk

Fixed for you. In all seriousness the the capacity of us as fans to shoot a player down in flames just because they are not twice as good as we expect them to be is astounding. 

Back on topic Gollini will be fine, we just need to have some experience as back up and that's not Bunn.

I watched the Boro / Sunderland game last weekend and observed Guzan making his usual error of not holding onto shots. He got away with it that time but I did heave a sigh of relief that he no longer our keeper. Is Gollini worse than Guzan? I don't think so.

Â