Pierluigi Gollini

BOF

51 minutes ago, Genie said:

In his first 6 or so competitive games for us he's played badly and made a number of errors that have directly lead to opposition goals and dropped points.

He'd be dropped without question in any other position. 

If his form continues for another 5 or 6 games then I think its time he took a break from the first team, I don't think Bunn would be worse.

I wouldn't actually calling it dropping him.  He should have been eased in more gradually. I would take him out of the firing line for a few games.

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Its not an experience thing, its an ability thing. There are lots of goalkeepers around with lots of experience who are not very good.

Battara seems to think he has the ability and his cv / experience suggests that he knows a thing or two about keeping.  I think you need to give a player more than 4 matches before writing him off.  That's "you" as in a collective of people rather than "you" as in you personally.

5 minutes ago, allani said:

Battara seems to think he has the ability and his cv / experience suggests that he knows a thing or two about keeping.  I think you need to give a player more than 4 matches before writing him off.  That's "you" as in a collective of people rather than "you" as in you personally.

There is a difference between writing him off - and saying coming from overseas , at 21 years of age - he is not yet ready to be no 1 keeper for a full championship season. 

Edited by hippo
  • Like 2

I personally think we need to see him play with our chosen back 4 and our new front line before deciding whether it is too soon.  If we are scoring two a game and he makes the odd mistake here and there surely it is better to be learning now and then being ready to take on the big boys next season? Of course if we are not scoring and continue conceding then the question mark may be valid. But Battara seems to be sticking his neck out (new job first recommendation) when it might have been easier to go with someone more well known. That suggests he is pretty confident that the guy deserves a chance.  Of course I reserve the right to change my mind if he turns out to be rubbish. I just hope that at the end of the season it is me saying "told you so" rather than the other way around!! :-)

15 minutes ago, allani said:

I personally think we need to see him play with our chosen back 4 and our new front line before deciding whether it is too soon.  If we are scoring two a game and he makes the odd mistake here and there surely it is better to be learning now and then being ready to take on the big boys next season? Of course if we are not scoring and continue conceding then the question mark may be valid. But Battara seems to be sticking his neck out (new job first recommendation) when it might have been easier to go with someone more well known. That suggests he is pretty confident that the guy deserves a chance.  Of course I reserve the right to change my mind if he turns out to be rubbish. I just hope that at the end of the season it is me saying "told you so" rather than the other way around!! :-)

But if he is conceding 2 a game then its odds against us playing in the prem (the big boys) next season. 

A 21 year old keeper is a development player. Not a first choice keeper. 

• Like 1

How old was Michael Owen when he played in the World Cup and scored THAT goal against Argentina??? At some point you need to give someone a chance... If he proves not to be up to it then move on.  But I don't think we can make that call without giving him a decent shot at it.

PS - and I am leaving it here for the moment.  A quick look at the Championship table shows that we have played 5 and conceded 5. This is on a par with the 6 teams currently occupying the promotion and play off places. Meanwhile we have only scored 5 which is why we are where we are.  Not unhappy at conceding a goal a game as long as we are scoring two! :-)

• Like 2

He has already proven he is a good shot stopper, but he needs to work on his parrying. Two times now he has pushed a ball straight into an attacker for a tap in. If you can hold it, you have to make sure you are pushing it out of danger. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, One For The Road said:

I wonder if we could send him out on loan for the season and develop him that way?

What to another championship team while we are stuck with Bunn or Steer? Probably best to let him develop here and hope he doesn't cost us anymore points this season. He clearly is talented and can be a great keeper, but reminds me too much of early Guzan. 

3 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

I wonder if we could send him out on loan for the season and develop him that way?

We have reputedly one of the best GK coaches in the world. Hardly much point in sending him away from him in order to develop.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

We have reputedly one of the best GK coaches in the world. Hardly much point in sending him away from him in order to develop.

The point would be to develop him without it costing us points.  We would need to bring in a replacement tho as neither Bunn or Steer are good enough but it could be good to send him off for a season.

8 hours ago, JPAngel said:

Please don't hold me accountable if he cocks up our season :lol: I just think he'll be okay. Having said that, I don't think it would be the worst idea to sign a backup who is actually decent as I don't think Steer or Bunn are good enough for this club.

I like Gollini and I think he'll improve but I do worry about his willingness to parry into danger. Hopefully it's something that can be worked on. He's only, what? 21?

This was exactly my point.

5 hours ago, Czechlad said:

He has already proven he is a good shot stopper, but he needs to work on his parrying. Two times now he has pushed a ball straight into an attacker for a tap in. If you can hold it, you have to make sure you are pushing it out of danger. 

A good 'shot stopper'. That's the go to phrase for poor goalkeepers. He's paid to shot stops. What he isn't paid for, is not coming for crosses and costing us a goal every other game.

10 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

A good 'shot stopper'. That's the go to phrase for poor goalkeepers. He's paid to shot stops. What he isn't paid for, is not coming for crosses and costing us a goal every other game.

Petr Cech is a good shot stopper. Lloris is a good shot stopper. They are not poor keepers. They are paid to stop shots, but calling them a good shot stopper implies they make quality saves that typically wouldn't be saved by other keepers. Gollini has already made numerous stops that seemed to be going in and a worse keeper would not have saved. 

10 hours ago, hippo said:

But if he is conceding 2 a game then its odds against us playing in the prem (the big boys) next season. 

A 21 year old keeper is a development player. Not a first choice keeper. 

he has conceded more than 2 in only 1 game and averaging a goal a game conceded

he made a couple of errors but you are making him sound like a complete leak

• Like 3

He's coming under a lot of unfair criticism, The clearance that rebounded in was just unfortunate - not a mistake like when Guzan gifted Agguero.

The other mistake was a save which went straight to the opposition for a tap in, something Friedel used o do a lot but got away with it as we still won the games.

Lets wait for a real howler or 2 before deciding he's no good please lads.

• Like 1

A lot of these mistakes wouldn't have been punished so harshly if our attacking players actually did their job. 

I'm not giving Gollini a pass here as mistakes are mistakes, but they have all largely come in games that we should have been 4-5 goals up in. So heres hoping with two of last seasons highest scoring strikers in the team we will start scoring enough that Gollini with 20 minutes to go can't cost us the match. 

Â