Pierluigi Gollini

BOF

34 minutes ago, weedman said:

As a goalkeeper I can assure there is no 1 thing keepers are trained to do. Sometimes it is better to parry than to try and catch, just like sometimes it is better to punch the ball rather than catch it from a cross, but even if you're not 100% sure you'll be able to bring it in he should be trying to claim that shot all day long, no power on it and parrying it was only ever going to put it right out in the danger zone. If he had tried to hold it and failed he probably would have been in a better position to get it at the 2nd attempt or save the rebound (by virtue of being closer to the ball), I can only imagine he had his positioning a bit off and in the split second assumed he was closer to the post than he actually was. He's young and this sort of thing will happen and he will improve on it in time. In the meantime we need to start putting games to bed when we have the opportunities as Gollini clearly has some work to do before these mistakes are removed from his game 

But 'Mjw' told me keepers are coached to do specific things. Now I don't know what to believe.

Can we just agree on one thing, if Gollini manages to hold onto the shot that led to their first, he wins the Ballon d'or. I mean, he had no option but to palm that ferocious shot straight to their striker. 

3 hours ago, JPAngel said:

I'm not one for condemning a young goalkeeper after a few games. I think he'll be fine.

Is it worth the risk?

What if you're wrong and he ruins our season?

We can't depend on Bunn or Steer.

12 hours ago, AVTuco said:

Is it worth the risk?

Please don't hold me accountable if he cocks up our season :lol: I just think he'll be okay. Having said that, I don't think it would be the worst idea to sign a backup who is actually decent as I don't think Steer or Bunn are good enough for this club.

I like Gollini and I think he'll improve but I do worry about his willingness to parry into danger. Hopefully it's something that can be worked on. He's only, what? 21?

12 hours ago, AVTuco said:

Is it worth the risk?

this - one thousand times.

Whats the point of £50m spend on players - yet you end up with a rookie in goal. Poor decision.

• Like 1

Just now, hippo said:

this - one thousand times.

Whats the point of £50m spend on players - yet you end up with a rookie in goal. Poor decision.

I assume by the same logic clubs shouldn't have let de Gea or Courtois play in the first team because they had no experience...

• Like 1

Let's not forget that Gollini was brought in by Battara who seems to know a thing or two about the art of goalkeeping.  The fact that he signed him and persuaded RDM and Xia to spend a decent amount of money on signing him - suggests to me that he is pretty confident that this kid can turn into something special.  I'll take a couple of months (or longer) of settling in - if it means that we have signed someone who can star in this position for the next 10 - 12 years.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, allani said:

Let's not forget that Gollini was brought in by Battara who seems to know a thing or two about the art of goalkeeping.  The fact that he signed him and persuaded RDM and Xia to spend a decent amount of money on signing him - suggests to me that he is pretty confident that this kid can turn into something special.  I'll take a couple of months (or longer) of settling in - if it means that we have signed someone who can star in this position for the next 10 - 12 years.

That maybe the case. I don't beleive anyone doubts his potential. But do we a chance a promotion to improve Gollin'is carrer.

36 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

Gollini will not be the reason we don't get promotion. Don't be silly.

No he won't be the sole reason. 

Equally I don't think he is helping our cause.

In 40 years of watching the villa the only youngish keeper to perform at first team level consistently has been Mark Bosnich. We need a more experienced keeper between the sticks IMO. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hippo said:

No he won't be the sole reason. 

Equally I don't think he is helping our cause.

In 40 years of watching the villa the only youngish keeper to perform at first team level consistently has been Mark Bosnich. We need a more experienced keeper between the sticks IMO. 

Yeah but Bozzie had Barret, McGrath, Teale and Stauton in front of him, he would have been exposed so much.

I have never liked Bunn, he gave me kittens against Notts County last year but Steer did well at this level with Huddersfield last season and can be a decent enough backup.  Steer was also very highly rated.

2 hours ago, allani said:

I assume by the same logic clubs shouldn't have let de Gea or Courtois play in the first team because they had no experience...

Its not an experience thing, its an ability thing. There are lots of goalkeepers around with lots of experience who are not very good.

1 minute ago, NIVillan said:

Yeah but Bozzie had Barret, McGrath, Teale and Stauton in front of him, he would have been exposed so much.

I have never liked Bunn, he gave me kittens against Notts County last year but Steer did well at this level with Huddersfield last season and can be a decent enough backup.  Steer was also very highly rated.

Bozzie was a once in a lifetime keeper. He could perform at the required level at 21 years of age. There are very few keepers who can do that. That doesn't mean Gollini can't go on to be a solid keeper in a few years time. But him learning his trade isn't (again IMO) WILL HINDER OUR PROMOTION PUSH.

In his first 6 or so competitive games for us he's played badly and made a number of errors that have directly lead to opposition goals and dropped points.

He'd be dropped without question in any other position. 

If his form continues for another 5 or 6 games then I think its time he took a break from the first team, I don't think Bunn would be worse.

Edited by Genie

28 minutes ago, Genie said:

In his first 6 or so competitive games for us he's played badly and made a number of errors that have directly lead to opposition goals and dropped points.

He'd be dropped without question in any other position. 

If his form continues for another 5 or 6 games then I think its time he took a break from the first team, I don't think Bunn would be worse.

Bunn is a lot worse, play Steer if we drop him

1 hour ago, NIVillan said:

I'd actually prefer Steer to be in goal 

Â