Pierluigi Gollini

BOF

On 1/7/2017 at 19:25, VILLAMARV said:

Yep. But then that's kind of the nature of a site like this.

I think a few people have been a bit harsh writing Gollini off so soon as Ive seen some good bits along the way. Enough to want to persevere with him, and certainly ahead of Bunn. That doesn't mean he's above criticism. Also I'm not SB so I don't get to know what he knows. Maybe it's brilliant man management taking him out of the firing line for a few weeks and it will be the making of the lad? Who knows?

I'd say Friedel was the last good keeper we had. Schmeichel, Bosnich, Spink would be up there in the top bracket in my lifetime/memory. Sorensen, James, Guzan were fine on a good day but hardly comparable to the other 4 imho. I had a soft spot for Les Sealey. Other than that I wouldn't get too excited about the rest.

James got us to the last FA cup final at Wembley before putting the ball on Di Matteos foot so we could lose...
But the fact that his penalty saves vs Bolton got us there, he deserves being put in a bracket above Sorensen...

Sorensen couldnt catch Heptatitis in Essex!!!

Sky reporting that he's back off to Italy to join Atalanta on loan until the end of the season, when he will be sold. 

Really strange one for me. If I remember correctly, the game before he was dropped he didn't actually do anything wrong. I know he made a few blunders early in the season but he seemed to have pulled himself together and was then dropped for the clearly worse Bunn. I suppose Bruce just doesn't fancy him. 

Another cheap, foreign import that hasn't worked out to add to the long list over the past couple of seasons. 

I thought I had seen a rumour that he couldn't settle? If he wants to go back to Italy then there isn't a lot you can do. It benefits no one to keep him here. We just need to ensure we get an adequate replacement on a permanent basis 

One thing I noted concerning Gollini was his kicking. Johnston's first game against Spurs showed how weak Gollini's kicking really was.

Another poor signing and better to move him on now if a better replacement can be found.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

WTF? An 18 month loan? :lol:

Why do we loan so many players out when we don't have much depth? 

It's getting silly. 

So if SJ get's injured we're stuck with Bunn again. FFS. 

I don't get it with the loans. We all know he's never likely to play for Villa again (like Veretout and Gil) so just sell him. 

1 minute ago, Xela said:

I don't get it with the loans. We all know he's never likely to play for Villa again (like Veretout and Gil) so just sell him. 

Atlanta on loan - a far cry from some of the destinations mentioned. - Probably no one wanted to buy him at anywhere near what we paid. If he does well at Atlanta we may get a fee for him.

Daft decision to bring in a 21 year old goalie as first choice. Always a high probability it was going to end like this.  No way back for him at Villa IMO only thing is whether or not we get a fee for him.

18 month loan. Sounds like we're giving him the chance to grow and make mistakes else where and maybe have a decent keeper in 18 months time? I hope :/ 

My concern is Johnstone is loaned till the end of the season? Bunn's contract runs out at the end of this season? 

Just now, Lord Willard said:

18 month loan. Sounds like we're giving him the chance to grow and make mistakes else where and maybe have a decent keeper in 18 months time? I hope :/ 

My concern is Johnstone is loaned till the end of the season? Bunn's contract runs out at the end of this season? 

No doubt Bruce will bring in a new keeper in the summer .

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BOF said:

To be honest I'd rather that than him sitting on the bench.  At least this way both sides get what they want.  Gollini continues to play and Bruce gets his preferred option in goal.  Best of luck to him.  Hopefully he can remove the rough edges and come back the top keeper I suspect he is.

Fair enough but should johnstoNe suffer a bad injury I'd rather gollini than bunn as cover . 

6 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

Agreed. I guess if Johnstone looks good come the end of the season and has played his part in getting us up he might well join us on a permanent deal. I have to admit I have concerns about having Bunn as our back up keeper until he looks for another club in the summer.  

3 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Fair enough but should johnstoNe suffer a bad injury I'd rather gollini than bunn as cover . 

You would and so would I.  But it seems had he stayed he'd have been 3rd choice because Bruce prefers Bunn.  So we wouldn't have gotten our way regardless.

A loan seems a good plan, but 18 months is a bit bizarre. I would guess there's a recall clause in there (or at least hope)

I think Gollini will be a good keeper but he has a lot to learn. Clearly quite inexperienced, yet talented.

Hard to judge on one game, but Johnstone looked much more imposing in his one appearance

29 minutes ago, Eastie said:

So would most of us. Bruce might even agree.

But if Gollini is sat on our bench as cover he's not going to develop. If he's off playing first team football then he will have the best chance.

Bunn isn't going to develop anymore than he is and he's adequate back up at this level. It's not detrimental to his career to be sat on our bench.

Long term it absolutely makes sense to keep Bunn instead. Even if we were looking to offload Gollini, he'll attract a hugher price the more he plays. If he sits on our bench his value will only go down.

Â