Keith Wyness

villan-scott

6 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I know what you mean but the implications of being crap now will have a massive knock on affect to achieving all that was mentioned in the interview. I.e. The financial implications of no promotion this year will be disastrous. If Wyness is talking about an overhaul that could take several years which include eventual promotion then build from there then maybe he is on to something. But you really see him, Xia, Round etc sticking around for a plan that involves several years in the championship? 

Teams to get promoted with a lot let resources than we currently have.

The real challenge for XIA & co starts when get promoted. Even without parachute money we are a giant in this division. Pretty confident we will get promoted in the next 3/4 seasons at the outside...less confident that we will be able to stay there.

1 hour ago, hippo said:

Teams to get promoted with a lot let resources than we currently have.

The real challenge for XIA & co starts when get promoted. Even without parachute money we are a giant in this division. Pretty confident we will get promoted in the next 3/4 seasons at the outside...less confident that we will be able to stay there.

I can't agree mate. If we get there the money comes in and Xia can break the bank. I also think at the point there will be much better chances to get round FFP with sponsorships etc.

My worry is us not going up and having to sell all of our best players just to break even. 

• Like 1

We definitely need a plan to aim for, but it does make me laugh 'The Villa Engine ' :) sounds bloody silly . 

As for a 60k stadium I'd forget it. Unless we were regular top 4 and winning trophies with an exciting team then we would never get near that. 50k is more realistic, but even then we need a good team and to be pushing top 4-6 to make it worth while. Start filling the ground regular then have alook at it.

• Like 2

Personally I just thought yeah, yeah I'll believe it when I see it. After having "The General" spout about 5 year plans, followed by Tom Fox's inane PR spin I've just had enough. (I actually didn't think Fox was even that good at spin as he appeared to not even have a basic understanding of soccerball.)

Maybe Keith knows what he's doing and in 3 years we'll have a 60,000 seat stadium and Champions League but I'm not going to get excited about him talking about it now. I like Tony - I think he wants it to all happen. I hope the people he's employed to make it happen can.

Edited by TheAuthority

I think the words 'up to' need to be considered. 60,000 is more than a tad ambitious, but hey lets see what happens.  

Any future development of VP is not going to just be sticking some more seats in the corners. If anything does happen it will be parts of a huge redevelopment of the back of the North Stand and the wider Aston area. Things are happening in Brum with HS2 and possibly the Commonwealths as well. 

Any new development will involve a lot of corporate areas which if you like it or not, is part of modern football. However the problem is the demand for this will be less behind the goal in any new North Stand. That is why the talk of doing stuff to the Doug Ellis is interesting. Something major would have to happen on that side for VP to get anywhere near 60,000 all seater.  I think Liverpool have said something on the same lines after they have rebuilt the main stand they were not sure in adding to the anfield road stand as it is behind the goal.  

As others said we have heard this before with Lerner and even Doug. Promotion is the top priority for now. If that happens then some of this may happen, but for now I am treating this as just ambitious talk. 

• Like 2

We could open up the top of the Trinity to start with ;). It all sounds positive but we need to get up to make it start to happen. 60,000 is a lot of people and other than by filling 25% of the ground with extra Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs, Manchester United/City and WBA fans or reducing admission prices (if only) I doubt that we would get that near to a 60,000 capacity without being in or around the top six ourselves. 

It looks like we may be using the "if you build it, they will come" approach to ground development. I also think that "The Villa Engine" may be used as a stick to beat the club with in the future when and if that opportunity arises. I guess my approach would have been nearer to what Ron Atkinson said to players, "Don't tell me, show me" but as Wenger said "If you do not believe you can do it then you have no chance  at all". So there is a chance! :)

4 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

We're a million miles away from a packed out 60,000 capacity Villa Park. I can't see it happening in my lifetime. 

Spurs and Southampton are two great examples of well-run clubs who have managed genuine progress, without huge financial excess, and seem to be doing it sustainably.

Admittedly feels a long long long way off, maybe more because of the misery we've had for the last 10 years or so, but it has to be possible...or at least I hope...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AshVilla said:

Will we even get close to 50k each week let alone 60k

Thats exactly it. If we are nit successful on the pitch we def wont.

I think we should look at 50k first then once that starts selling out look at 65k

Â