Tommy Elphick

Demitri_C

Was his worst game in a villa shirt he isn't a top class defender but he is a top class leader really like the way he stopped Kodjia and Tish celebrating he wanted to go on and win the game it's more players like him that we need .

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, BigAl said:

Was his worst game in a villa shirt he isn't a top class defender but he is a top class leader really like the way he stopped Kodjia and Tish celebrating he wanted to go on and win the game it's more players like him that we need .

This. He was terrible yesterday, but he does lead the team and is a fairly solid defender generally. Seems to have the character to write the game off and move forward. 

• Like 1

It's like he riles himself up so much that he makes mistakes. Separate the two and he will be good for this club, if he can't and we continue to expose him the same way he's going to have a good end of season real of clangers.

That first half performance was arguably the worst centre half performance I've ever seen for Villa. When Clark and Baker were first being brought into the team, and they were being labelled the 'chuckle brothers', they were mostly making one absolute howler between them. Elphick made two howlers on his own, and in an easier division. The own goal was bad - just use your left foot FFS - but being robbed by Gayle on the edge of the area was even worse. 

I missed the second half, it sounds like he got better, so at least that shows some character. But one decent half of football doesn't make up for a one half of calamity, and I would hope he knows that. Must do better. 

If you are going to invite teams on to you then the risk that one of your defenders will f up becomes far greater.

Chester and Elphick have looked comfortable in a lot of games aside from when we have sat deep and invited teams on to us. They aren't then helped by a lack of protection in front of them.

Elphick had a shocker in the first half yesterday but he wasn't helped by the fact that we were way too negative and stemming the Newcastle tide pretty much right from kick off. I also don't think the 3 at the back suited any of the centre backs.

Overall I would give him a six out of 10 from his performances so far and I think he can and will do better.

1 hour ago, markavfc40 said:

If you are going to invite teams on to you then the risk that one of your defenders will f up becomes far greater.

Chester and Elphick have looked comfortable in a lot of games aside from when we have sat deep and invited teams on to us. They aren't then helped by a lack of protection in front of them.

Elphick had a shocker in the first half yesterday but he wasn't helped by the fact that we were way too negative and stemming the Newcastle tide pretty much right from kick off. I also don't think the 3 at the back suited any of the centre backs.

Overall I would give him a six out of 10 from his performances so far and I think he can and will do better.

I fully agree that if you invite teams on to you, the risk of mistakes becomes higher. However, for some unknown reason, he decided to mess about with the ball and got robbed on edge of his area instead of getting it away first time. The own goal, he should have been able to put it into the stand. Two personal errors that were avoidable, not dependent on inviting the other team onto us, in my opinion.

Edited by AntrimBlack
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, AntrimBlack said:

I fully agree that if you invite teams on to you, the risk of mistakes becomes higher. However, for some unknown reason, he decided to mess about with the ball and got robbed on edge of his area instead of getting it away first time. The own goal, he should have been able to put it into the stand. Two personal errors that were avoidable, not dependent on inviting the other team onto us, in my opinion.

I'd agree with that. Like I said he had a shocker in the first half.

• Like 1

281226C200000578-0-image-a-30_1430162967

"Kick off  gathers, and now my game  begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my goal post. I am the defender in the darkness. I am the watcher of the balls. I am the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the nets of Gollini. I pledge my life and honor to the back four, for this game  and all the games  to come."
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Brumerican said:

281226C200000578-0-image-a-30_1430162967

"Kick off  gathers, and now my game  begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my goal post. I am the defender in the darkness. I am the watcher of the balls. I am the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the nets of Gollini. I pledge my life and honor to the back four, for this game  and all the games  to come."

*Scores an own goal*

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Well that's not true. We spent £15m or so on the defence. 

It was an exaggeration, somewhat, but still - a lot of that went on Chester. We bought a bargain basement defender in Elphick and we're getting performances reflective of his price tag. We needed two solid centre backs and more of the money should have been spent there. 

I can't believe Elphick was the best we could get given the supposed funds at our disposal.

Â