Tommy Elphick

Demitri_C

We need a quicker defender alongside either of them especially If we ever play 3 at the back again.

A shame Okore produced that luton horror show and was quickly moved on, he could've been useful this season.

Clark was good as he has a quicker player like Lascelles to complement him, Elphick and Chester are both slow so we can't push them up the pitch too much.

32 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

We need a quicker defender alongside either of them especially If we ever play 3 at the back again.

A shame Okore produced that luton horror show and was quickly moved on, he could've been useful this season.

Clark was good as he has a quicker player like Lascelles to complement him, Elphick and Chester are both slow so we can't push them up the pitch too much.

Richards ;)

• Like 1

I did say in another thread or maybe even forum I didn't want Richards starting at any cost.

In any case with all the injuries and his lack of motivation I don't think he's that quick anymore.

Okore was one of the quickest players at the club wasn't he? I always remember that Newcastle game when he did his ACL he gave Remy a yard or two and caught him up no problem.

He will have better games....but both centre halves are being exposed too much from Centre midfield.

They are both not commanding enough for me, but hope they both improve with the team strengthening.

Think we need to be mindful of not conceding too many set pieces.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Johnnyp said:

I really like the look of suliman, should of kept him in the squad.. Taller than Elphick, class on the ball. Yes he's very young but so is Tammy Abraham. Not working out too bad for him. 

one is on loan at Cheltenham and the other is playing for Bristol City. I imagine different talent levels at moment

Harder for defenders as they get better with experience. Strikers can have bad games and score one tap in and its forgiven. 

Elphick for mine has been the most disappointing signing. Off the field I'm sure he's worth the price we paid.. he just seems to be lacking confidence of his own right now.

On 25/09/2016 at 18:39, Dr_Pangloss said:

Chester is a far greater disappointment. He has looked crap and no where near the hefty sum we blew on him.

This all over.  Elphick for £3m(?) is decent business IMO - he's exactly the sort of character we needed in the defence even if he's limited.  FWIW, I think he'd have made a decent partnership with Clark.

Chester at £9m is bonkers, though.

9 hours ago, KSV said:

Harder for defenders as they get better with experience. Strikers can have bad games and score one tap in and its forgiven. 

Elphick for mine has been the most disappointing signing. Off the field I'm sure he's worth the price we paid.. he just seems to be lacking confidence of his own right now.

He's not been the most disappointing signing at all?  He had a poor game against Newcastle (the own goal was poor but those people saying he needed to go with his left foot should have a word - look at how his stride is ffs) but he kept showing for the ball and kept spirits up on the pitch after scoring an own goal and almost gifting Gayle a goal.

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

He's not been the most disappointing signing at all?  He had a poor game against Newcastle (the own goal was poor but those people saying he needed to go with his left foot should have a word - look at how his stride is ffs) but he kept showing for the ball and kept spirits up on the pitch after scoring an own goal and almost gifting Gayle a goal.

I agree. I like him, yes he had a stinker but I would imagine that wouldn't bother anyone as much as it bothers him. It didn't even compare to some of the defensive horror shows we saw last year.

Centerback partnerships are better when built over time to develop understanding. We need to stick with Elphick and Chester imo, even if Chester seems limited. 

Edited by alreadyexists
  • Like 1

On 28/09/2016 at 07:25, It's Your Round said:

I wish he'd learn to pass the ball quickly, he's so ponderous and indecisive! The amount of times he passes back to the keeper only to get the ball back and do the same thing again is a joke. 

Was just about to post this. He really needs to work on his distribution. He is so slow and hesitant, you can almost see him panicking and waving his hands around. He telegraphs short passes as well so the receiver is then under enormous pressure. 

8 minutes ago, maqroll said:

I wonder why people are surprised he's not that great a player. He was let go by Bournemouth, after all...

This is villa talk, where very often what is staring us in the face is completely ignored.

Take the jack grealish incident the other week. Oh it's the daily mail it won't be true. It's wrong to criticise him while there is no evidence that it's true..... why the ****, would a national newspaper need to make up a story about a 2nd rate championship footballer, to sell newspapers. To anyone who is not a villa fan, and to most who are, it's a completely nothing story. 

Why would mile jedinak be anything but bang average? Not wanted by crystal palace tells us everything we need to know. Same with Adomah. 

Every football fan is the same but it's madness how we are completely blind to logic most of the time when it comes to villa.

Â