Tommy Elphick

Demitri_C

2 minutes ago, GENTLEMAN said:

I think we may well offer him a 1 year extension, however he may well get a longer deal elsewhere and considering his age might take that up. 

Possibly and understandably from his point of view. But he does mention how much pride he has at being at such a big club and how he has unfinished business here.

• Like 1

With the presure that was on us all game it didnt surprise me that one would go in, shame it was elphick who got turned. That was a hard done by goal in my eyes at what should of been a draw, our defence looked pretty solid for a team that was getting way to pressured for what was 70 or so mins.

Edited by Dave-R

8 minutes ago, a m ole said:

He’s been brilliant since he came back so although it was rash I can’t put us losing on him, everyone in front and to the side of him and Mings failed to do their job in keeping the ball away and in the other net.

To be fair to Maupay, he did execute a bit of good ball control, to score, jinked his way past.....something we could only admire.

Edited by TRO

52 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

You could argue he is our 4th choice centre half so in that respect he could be a lot worse.

I dunno you know.

i know he’s been playing with an injury, but Tommy’s looked better than Chester’s recent performances. Do miss Chester’s goal threat tho

id go Mings, Tuanzebe, Elphick, Chester, Hause

• Like 2

I dont know why he is being singled out for the Brentford goal, several persons before and after him being turned could and should have stopped Maupay. Thought he has been good since returning and was fine again saturday. I especially remember the sliding tackle in the middle of first half when the WBA player was played through in our left side of the goal area.

• 2 weeks later...

Tommy writes an interesting piece in Tuesday Nights Birmingham Mail...."whats wrong with Aston Villa"

Might be worth reading.....He talks about the players as opposed to the managers, some on here have made similar references to end of contract issues and He talks about ...lacking unity and togetherness.

He says " There are different people in different situations at the moment and I think if we all realised that Aston Villa in the top six, is beneficial to everyone, we will start winning games.

"When things are not going right for us on the pitch, we can become a bit individual and start playing on our own.When things arn't going right people react in different ways.

" I think sometimes we are naive through our own honesty, people chasing on our own, trying to press balls we are not going to get"

"Sometimes we just need to get through the next 5 minutes and build from there"

Just a sample few lines of what he said

take from that what you will.

• Thanks 1

As per @TRO‘s post in the other thread -

Discussing the dressing room spirit, he said: “I think we have got it but there are different people in different situations at the moment. 

“I think if we all realised that Aston Villa being in the top six is beneficial to everyone, we will start winning games. 

“When things are not going right for us on the pitch, we can become a bit individual and playing on our own. 

“The second half on Saturday was a real positive and a performance we have to take forward now.” 

Elphick continued: “The gaffer came in at half-time and gave us a few home truths about looking like a team, being a team and being a good team-mate. 

“It was an important message that he got over to us and something we’ve spoken about in recent weeks. 

“The second half was a real team performance, all pushing and pulling in the right direction. 

“Whether there were mistakes or something going wrong, we all reacted as a group whereas first half we were playing as individuals. 

“That’s an important message and something that we need to learn from and take forward for sure.”

E&S link

Think it paints a picture that had been suggested by a few on here. It adds a bit of weight to the idea that players were made aware of their fate in the summer. If that happened, McGrath knows why.

As for Tommy, he seems to be enjoying life at Villa more than he has done previously. He’s always seemed like a decent sort to be fair to him.

It’s difficult to say for definite as I don’t know what our summer targets will be. But as it stands, I wouldn’t be against offering him a year extension to his contract. 

• Like 3

Â