Tommy Elphick

Demitri_C

Simply one of those players who is made out to be better because of his attitude. A bit like Martin Laursen for me. Obviously Laursen was better but massively overated due to the way he approached games. When it came to the crux he was an headless chicken, all over the place. I've seen nothing to suggest elphick is a good defender.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LondonLax said:

Are there any players we have had over the last 20 years you do rate?

Yeah. The ones who are actually decent. Not the ones the claret n blue specs say are decent.

Say all you want about my attitude towards villa over the last few years but whilst many have been calling me negative, we've been swiftly drifting to the lower end of the championship.... spending a fortune on crap players like elphick in the process.

• Like 1

I would rather Baker in the side than this guy, looking very limited now and his 'leadership and passion' don't seem to be having the desired affect.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Woodytom said:

Yeah. The ones who are actually decent. Not the ones the claret n blue specs say are decent.

Say all you want about my attitude towards villa over the last few years but whilst many have been calling me negative, we've been swiftly drifting to the lower end of the championship.... spending a fortune on crap players like elphick in the process.

Didn't we buy him for like.... £2m? Hardly a fortune.

10 hours ago, Woodytom said:

But seriously, Martin Laursen not a good defender?  I mean, there's not rating all the average players that others do, that's one thing, but Laursen was actually just a very good defender.  He read the game incredibly well.

(Out of interest, would you like to divulge the names of people you've rated?)

• Like 1

On ‎15‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 10:29, bobzy said:

But seriously, Martin Laursen not a good defender?  I mean, there's not rating all the average players that others do, that's one thing, but Laursen was actually just a very good defender.  He read the game incredibly well.

(Out of interest, would you like to divulge the names of people you've rated?)

Where did I say he wasn't a good defender? I said he was overated due to his likeable approach. So many goals came from him trying to win ridiculous balls and getting caught out of position.

Some players I've rated: and il be honest with it

Milner, benteke, young, petrov, dunne (when off the booze), Delph, weimann, angel, milosevic, yorke, barry.

Players I currently rate at the club atm based on last few games:

Think mccormack is comfortably our best player, not really seen enough of kodjia yet. 

Think we've bought a lot of ok at best players if I'm honest.

• Like 1

Headless chicken and Laursen should never ever be in the same sentence, compared with the crap we've had and have since he retired. Ultimately he didn't play enough games for us but I really rated and miss him.

Edited by Spray
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Woodytom said:

Where did I say he wasn't a good defender? I said he was overated due to his likeable approach. So many goals came from him trying to win ridiculous balls and getting caught out of position.

Milner, benteke, young, petrov, dunne (when off the booze), Delph, weimann, angel, milosevic, yorke, barry.

Think mccormack is comfortably our best player, not really seen enough of kodjia yet. 

So you don't rate a guy who was purchased and played in a team along side Maldini, only to be replaced by arguably one of the best ever defenders in Nesta... But you rate Milner, Benteke (only did well with us so far), Young (decent winger), Petrov (marmite player for most on here), Dunne (WOW), Deph (WOW), Weimann (OMFG), Angel (Love him, but ha), Savo (?!), Yorke (maybe) & Barry (Solid MF'er)..

Image result for rages internally

The only reason Laursen came to us was because he had two broken legs constantly and he was 4th choice out of Maldini, Nesta & Jaap **** Stam - 3 of the best defenders of the last 30 years.

Edited by lapal_fan
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Woodytom said:

Well, you said he was "better but massively overrated".  (I don't think he was at all, by the way.  Absolute class act in defence).

Kudos for naming those you rate.  FWIW, I agree with Milner, Benteke, Young, Yorke and Barry.  Angel maybe, but I think that's more soft spot than good player.  The rest, not so much for me (at the risk of incurring the wrath of Petrov lovers B)).

At the moment, I think our attacking players (in McCormack, Ayew, Kodjia and Grealish) look exciting and absolutely very good at Championship level.  Elphick seems like a good leader and limited defender - I'm happy with that.  As someone stated above, he seems to offer more than Chester right now and cost, what, a quarter of the price?

Â