Tony Xia (no longer involved with AVFC)

Vancvillan

46 minutes ago, TRO said:

Daft as it seems, I still think with what we have and getting 2 critical signings right.....and i am not talking big money.....we could surprise ourselves.

I admire your optimism Tro but I’ve accepted next season will most likely be about survival before anything else. A massive surprise for me would be a push for playoffs.

We need to replace Terry, Snodgrass, Johnstone and Grabban. Those 4 key players before the pre season as even started. 

Xia and the board have got a big summer ahead of them. 

50 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I admire your optimism Tro but I’ve accepted next season will most likely be about survival before anything else. A massive surprise for me would be a push for playoffs.

We need to replace Terry, Snodgrass, Johnstone and Grabban. Those 4 key players before the pre season as even started. 

I don’t think it will be that bad that we will be aiming to survive - I think top half and maybe an outside shot at the play offs .

of course until August and we see the squad and  manager it’s all very much anyone’s guess. 

Edited by Eastie
  • Like 2

Really trying to hold back and wait and see. But after lerner I will not let myself be tricked into believing we have a good owner just because his pr is decent. 

Seriously on the verge of becoming another complete **** up to run the club. Why must we be punished with just **** idiots attracted to owning us? I hope he proves me wrong but i can't help but predict we have another **** idiot in charge.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, TRO said:

Daft as it seems, I still think with what we have and getting 2 critical signings right.....and i am not talking big money.....we could surprise ourselves.

Agreed, as long as we're able to keep Grealish and replace Bruce.

• Like 2

Being a Villa fan over the last ten years has been like living on the edge of an abyss and then falling off at the end of each season.  I can understand the negativity that brings.

i am hopeful that this draws a line under our hairbrained, short termed view of the club and its planning.  Personally, the whole football side has failed, so what do we do?  We can either sit and wallow or look to the future.  Wyness should be our and be replaced by Cortese (Former Southampton CEO), Round should go, he has failed, we need a modern DOF, Bruce and his team should be out.  We missed a trick with Rowett but there are other young, driven and progressive managers.  

We need to change our whole mentality, we are Aston Villa.  We should fear no one, they should fear us.  Let’s go at teams, ditch the dire 4-1-4-1 and play on the front foot with a 4-2-3-1.  Relaease the attacking intent instead of bogging it down with defensive duties by doubling up down the sides.

Lets remind everyone who we are, we are not victims, we control our own destiny.  Let’s get positive and go for it next year!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I am well aware of the 4 players you mention, but i am not daunted by it.

you have to remember we finished 4th with those players and i do not want to enter in to recriminations....but i have been here before, with Gray, Gidman and Deehan leaving....we went on to do even better.....because we bought right.

I am happy to defend my thoughts, but don't really want to volunteer those thoughts.

This is fixable.....I just think we got it wrong......or should i rephrase that by saying we never really got it right.

Edited by TRO

3 hours ago, Eastie said:

I don’t think it will be that bad that we will be aiming to survive - I think top half and maybe an outside shot at the play offs .

I think I will wait and see what sort of squad we have by the first weekend of August to judge that optimistic statement. Reminds me when we all wanted Lambert's young and hungry team to be in the hunt for a Europa cup spot, instead we lost 8-0 to Chelsea.

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, TRO said:

It wouldn’t surprise me.....I’d be amazed if we were NOT in the hunt.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, hippo said:

But in a multi million pound business being naive is a pretty big crime.

Hyperbole is literally the best thing ever. ;)

9 hours ago, vreitti said:

Agreed, as long as we're able to keep Grealish and replace Bruce.

What if we're in a position where the only way to keep Grealish is to keep Bruce?

2 hours ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

I'd be shocked if we dropped down far enough to be a genuine relegation chance.

Most likely we're still competing for playoff spots. A couple of key signings and we could be right in the mix.

Problem is when Villa start sliding we tend to tear ourselves apart. When smaller struggle it seems to galvanise them - at Villa it seems the opposite happens.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

What if we're in a position where the only way to keep Grealish is to keep Bruce?

To me that's an unlikely scenario, but if that'd be the case, I think I'd keep Bruce. The importance of Grealish cannot be exaggerated, he's just that good.

1 minute ago, vreitti said:

To me that's an unlikely scenario, but if that'd be the case, I think I'd keep Bruce. The importance of Grealish cannot be exaggerated, he's just that good.

I agree, and I wasn't coming at it from a perspective of a Grealish-Bruce love in, just financially, keeping the backroom staff and management team in place is probably the cheapest option right?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, terrytini said:

It wouldn’t surprise me.....I’d be amazed if we were NOT in the hunt.

I’d be amazed if we are contention for anything but the drop.

This isn’t me over reacting and being negative. I’m thinking about a few more years in this league with the first being the worst after trying to balance the books. It won’t be pretty. Second season having a push at playoffs. Third maybe being in contention for top 2.

10 hours ago, TRO said:

I am well aware of the 4 players you mention, but i am not daunted by it.

you have to remember we finished 4th with those players and i do not want to enter in to recriminations....but i have been here before, with Gray, Gidman and Deehan leaving....we went on to do even better.....because we bought right.

I am happy to defend my thoughts, but don't really want to volunteer those thoughts.

This is fixable.....I just think we got it wrong......or should i rephrase that by saying we never really got it right.

I remember those sales - but the massive difference today is we sell , Grealish, Chester and none of that money goes on buying players, Furthermore we don't have anyone capable of putting the ball in the net - and those players don't come cheap, and Bruce throughout his managerial career has struggled to find goalscorers. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, VILLAMARV said:

I agree, and I wasn't coming at it from a perspective of a Grealish-Bruce love in, just financially, keeping the backroom staff and management team in place is probably the cheapest option right?

Yes it probably is, but that's short-term thinking, and we've just seen what such an approach has left us with. Although I'm worried, just like everyone else about the finances, I refuse to think we are in the mess so many seem to believe. I happen to think we're better run nowadays, and that there is in fact a well thought out contingency plan in place. The Dr. has already stated there'll be changes, but I don't think selling Grealish is on his agenda. If that does happen, we are surely talking about last resort solutions, where I suppose one just has to accept that the end justifies the means, however painful they may be.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, vreitti said:

Yes it probably is, but that's short-term thinking, and we've just seen what such an approach has left us with. Although I'm worried, just like everyone else about the finances, I refuse to think we are in the mess so many seem to believe. I happen to think we're better run nowadays, and that there is in fact a well thought out contingency plan in place. The Dr. has already stated there'll be changes, but I don't think selling Grealish is on his agenda. If that does happen, we are surely talking about last resort solutions, where I suppose one just has to accept that the end justifies the means, however painful they may be.

Really ? 

We have a £25m black hole in the accounts - and a player probably with a market value of around that. I would say selling Grealish is at the very forefront of his thoughts

• Like 1

Â