Tony Xia (no longer involved with AVFC)

Vancvillan

We don't have to sell Grealish. We just have to make up the shortfall. Grealish fetches a lot of money, perhaps most of, if not all of, the shortfall we have to make up. Also, clearly a lot of clubs want him, so it all combines into a convenient media narrative. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

He backed the wrong horse. Backed it really well. Backed it so well, it was incredibly hard to fail. How Bruce managed to strangle this squad into not going up is quite a feat.

Yes, he should have sacked him last summer. He should have sacked him in pre-season. He should have sacked him in September. He could have sacked him at the turn of the year. His big error was trusting Wyness and Bruce.

The only horse Xia backed terribly was RDM. 

Frustration doesn't change the position we were in when Bruce came in. Anyway we all know this and I am just procrastinating and refreshing this site until there is good news. 

12 minutes ago, praisedmambo said:

The only horse Xia backed terribly was RDM. 

Frustration doesn't change the position we were in when Bruce came in. Anyway we all know this and I am just procrastinating and refreshing this site until there is good news. 

Hope you’re prepared for a long wait.

• Sad 1

I've thought for a long time, sticking with Bruce was more Keith Wyness than Tonys.

I've also seen other people intimate that especially in the face of what has happened this season, it has put Tony and Keiths relationship on a rocky path.

Personally I don't blame him, they have let him down.

2 hours ago, Jareth said:

Not sure i understand any shock here, we knew what the plan was these last 2 seasons spending to get back quick. We all new the consequences of that failing. We take our medicine and start down a new path, with Tony. 

Hmm. The way I look at it is I support the club and he is currently it’s custodian and if he isn’t fulfilling that role well, I will criticise him, just like with Lerner. 

It’s not like he’s the messiah & we’re his disciples, following wherever he goes even if we don’t know where that is.

And I must say I was disappointed in his statement about the future. We need more of a picture of where he thinks the club is going - this time a practical one, not all that visionary stuff he came out with 2 years ago.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, briny_ear said:

Hmm. The way I look at it is I support the club and he is currently it’s custodian and if he isn’t fulfilling that role well, I will criticise him, just like with Lerner. 

It’s not like he’s the messiah & we’re his disciples, following wherever he goes even if we don’t know where that is.

And I must say I was disappointed in his statement about the future. We need more of a picture of where he thinks the club is going - this time a practical one, not all that visionary stuff he came out with 2 years ago.

Hng on though, you've been a big supporter of Bruce, can't have it both ways surely? Bruce punted some massive wages on some loans/short term signings, spent big on a striker he then couldn't get the best out of etc. etc. Tony bankrolled it but the failings aren't his per se, the people he trusted to get us back up failed. He's proved he will back us financially, he needs to find a way round some FFP and get a good caoching and scouting set up in...

We need to get the big earners off the books now and concentrate on signing a few younger, more athletic players to combine with our good, experienced players. Adomah goes wide with Green out left. Hourihane, Grealish in front of Bjarnason. Elmo at right back, Hutton or Taylor at left back. New younger, quicker and taller centre back to partner Chester. Kodjia up front, or out left if Green not up to it and then have Hogan or Davis etc up top. No idea what happens to the keeper. 

O'Hare needs to be regularly getting game time this pre-season as his chance is close now. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, villarocker said:

We need to get the big earners off the books now and concentrate on signing a few younger, more athletic players to combine with our good, experienced players. Adomah goes wide with Green out left. Hourihane, Grealish in front of Bjarnason. Elmo at right back, Hutton or Taylor at left back. New younger, quicker and taller centre back to partner Chester. Kodjia up front, or out left if Green not up to it and then have Hogan or Davis etc up top. No idea what happens to the keeper. 

O'Hare needs to be regularly getting game time this pre-season as his chance is close now. 

O hare definately won’t be getting pre season games - he has a bad knee ligament injury and is expected to be out at least 3 months 

Edited by Eastie
  • Sad 3

22 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Hng on though, you've been a big supporter of Bruce, can't have it both ways surely? Bruce punted some massive wages on some loans/short term signings, spent big on a striker he then couldn't get the best out of etc. etc. Tony bankrolled it but the failings aren't his per se, the people he trusted to get us back up failed. He's proved he will back us financially, he needs to find a way round some FFP and get a good caoching and scouting set up in...

I din’t think this has got anything to do Bruce but for the record you are wrong. Like I said, I support the club. 

The whole obsession on this site with extreme opposition to Bruce, and the labelling of anyone who doesn’t take up such an extreme position as “pro-Bruce”, has been extremely annoying and tedious and I suppose it is interventions I have made trying to unpick the more ridiculous absurdities of the anti-Bruce arguments that has led you to label me as “a big supporter of Bruce”.

Read what I say - I get bored with writing “Bruce would not have been my first choice”. But by the time we had faffed around floundering with that loser RDM, he probably was the only realistic choice and at least it seemed he had a fair chance of getting us promoted.

However, that is all by-the-by. The issue now is that our owner has made a statement purporting to be about the future which says we can’t go on like we have, we have to rethink the last 10 years (still waiting for any explanation of that one) but failing to say anything concrete about what he thinks the future will be like. I was disagreeing with a post that seemed to say we just have to follow wherever he thinks he is taking the club. Well, No.

The sooner people can start thinking about the future of the club in terms of the real issues facing it, rather than this stupid and childish division of the world into pro- and anti-Bruce, the better.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Eastie said:

I agree now in hindsight Warnock probably would have done a better job but imagine the ructions had Warnock got the job 2 years  ago.

oh absolutely.....perhaps the rethink....should not be just confined to the club.

• Like 1

I was in a good mood until I opened this thread. Let’s see where we are in August before we all top ourselves. 

As for Grealish I’m pretty sure we won’t sell our number one chance of promotion to balance the books. If he leaves it’s because he will want to and his value is met.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

I din’t think this has got anything to do Bruce but for the record you are wrong. Like I said, I support the club. 

The whole obsession on this site with extreme opposition to Bruce, and the labelling of anyone who doesn’t take up such an extreme position as “pro-Bruce”, has been extremely annoying and tedious and I suppose it is interventions I have made trying to unpick the more ridiculous absurdities of the anti-Bruce arguments that has led you to label me as “a big supporter of Bruce”.

Read what I say - I get bored with writing “Bruce would not have been my first choice”. But by the time we had faffed around floundering with that loser RDM, he probably was the only realistic choice and at least it seemed he had a fair chance of getting us promoted.

However, that is all by-the-by. The issue now is that our owner has made a statement purporting to be about the future which says we can’t go on like we have, we have to rethink the last 10 years (still waiting for any explanation of that one) but failing to say anything concrete about what he thinks the future will be like. I was disagreeing with a post that seemed to say we just have to follow wherever he thinks he is taking the club. Well, No.

The sooner people can start thinking about the future of the club in terms of the real issues facing it, rather than this stupid and childish division of the world into pro- and anti-Bruce, the better.

I wasn't on a wind up and I'm not interested in labelling, I was just pointing out that a big part of getting us here was Bruce, so you know casting doubt on Tony for trusting Bruce when trusting Bruce was something you were well in line with is having your cake and eating it isn't it?

Personally Bruce won me round after Christmas, especially during the time Hogan scored a few in a row and we were playing actual football and winning. I'd been saying he should have got the boot before christmas and after the poor start. Still though as you say water under the bridge. Big thing for Tony now in the immediate future is Wyness and Bruce's future. Hopefully we can get a good director of football in and take it from there. It's clear he knows the focus is going to have to change I think, at least I didn't think his comments were purely financial anyway. 

As I said not interested in pro and anti myself, my point was more to do with Tony trusting Bruce being in line with your own thoughts is all. So not a reason to doubt Tony.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Eastie said:

I agree now in hindsight Warnock probably would have done a better job but imagine the ructions had Warnock got the job 2 years  ago.

I can say with confidence in hindsight that Santo, Warnock or Jokanovic would have got us promoted.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

I can say with confidence in hindsight that Santo, Warnock or Jokanovic would have got us promoted.

I’m guessing you missed Tro’s original post .

13 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

It depends on what you base your theory on.....If its just they did it with 3 others teams so they are bound to with us....I'll leave it there.

It was not my reasoning when I mentioned Warnock.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, romavillan said:

Warnock would have been the most divisive of the 3 by miles though :)

its not about being divisive, its about getting the right man.

we all have to accept ,many views championed ,are wrong.

Edited by TRO

23 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I was in a good mood until I opened this thread. Let’s see where we are in August before we all top ourselves. 

As for Grealish I’m pretty sure we won’t sell our number one chance of promotion to balance the books. If he leaves it’s because he will want to and his value is met.

Daft as it seems, I still think with what we have and getting 2 critical signings right.....and i am not talking big money.....we could surprise ourselves.

• Like 1

Â