Tony Xia (no longer involved with AVFC)

Vancvillan

On 02/06/2018 at 13:46, villa4europe said:

I would say his plans for the city are based on HS2 and the commonwealth games both of which are still happening

Im still convinced hes some sort of grand plan for a bit of land in a city that should see a lot of growth but thats still 3/4 years away, i dont know if us not getting promoted yet stops everything else from happening 

What plans do you believe Xia has for the city ?  - do you have any evidence or is this just a feeling ?

Personally I think he saw a big club - with big potential - and parachute payments to fund a promotion bid leading to further funds from Sky.  I don't beleive Xia himself even said anything about developing the city of Birmingham. If he wanted to do that surley he would have brought a construction firm not a football club.

5 minutes ago, hippo said:

What plans do you believe Xia has for the city ?  - do you have any evidence or is this just a feeling ?

Personally I think he saw a big club - with big potential - and parachute payments to fund a promotion bid leading to further funds from Sky.  I don't beleive Xia himself even said anything about developing the city of Birmingham. If he wanted to do that surley he would have brought a construction firm not a football club.

Might come to nought, but it would suggest the intention is there.

Aston Villa Chairman Dr Tony Xia is looking to make a big impression in his “second home” as he eyes big plans for the City of Birmingham.

Dr Tony is a huge fan of the Second City and this week signed a ‘memorandum of agreement’ with Birmingham City Council as Recon Group looks to offer their ‘Smart City’ expertise.

The deal was struck in China and will revolve around development opportunities across the region.

There were also discussions around greater links with Aston University, our official UK university partner.

Dr Tony tweeted: “Good to work with Birmingham City Council towards another Smart City. 

“I hope Recon’s experience of hundreds of cities can help future development.”

https://www.avfc.co.uk/News/2017/12/1/park-life-dr-tony-looks-to-future-and-christmas-on-horizon-at-villa-park

• Like 1

Yep, he made his money is urban planning (for some reason thats what i think his doctorate is in)

He did some sort of advisory role for the commonwealth games bid where i think he was trying to bypass or speed up the planning process with the council to give them something to benefit them for the games but himself and the club after them

Around the time of him buying us the council signed a £2bn deal with chinese housing developers for the city, the biggest deal in their history, several smaller projects across the city are being done with chinese developers

Edited by villa4europe

1 minute ago, Shropshire Lad said:

You do realise that Smart Cities - isn't actually building or rebuilding cities ? 

And as that Article states Recon would only be offering expertise. Given the state of Birmingham City councils finances I would be 99.5% certain nothing is ever heard of that again. Xia goes for the headline - very often there is little substance behind what he says, the theme park, the academy in India, the looking to purchase a 2nd club, his purchase of millennium films....etc

I think if we are to look at a club that we are like at the moment I would say Norwich where Farke has had to work on limited budget and with the young players coming through

• Like 1

On 02/06/2018 at 13:46, villa4europe said:

I would say his plans for the city are based on HS2 and the commonwealth games both of which are still happening

Im still convinced hes some sort of grand plan for a bit of land in a city that should see a lot of growth but thats still 3/4 years away, i dont know if us not getting promoted yet stops everything else from happening 

Yes It will be entirely based on getting promoted. You are not going to sink potentially millions of pounds in redevelopment if we are  a bog standard mid table championship club. Ain't going to happen.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Why would it be good? Xia is a great owner 

It is likely to be a nonsense story given the pathetic rag it is being reported on but Xia is not a great owner. Enthusiastic and his heart is in the right place but he hasn't made the smart decisions to be considered a great owner.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, hippo said:

You do realise that Smart Cities - isn't actually building or rebuilding cities ? 

And as that Article states Recon would only be offering expertise. Given the state of Birmingham City councils finances I would be 99.5% certain nothing is ever heard of that again. Xia goes for the headline - very often there is little substance behind what he says, the theme park, the academy in India, the looking to purchase a 2nd club, his purchase of millennium films....etc

Yep I’m aware of that. I’ve also seen something from Tony talking about being able to offer his expertise in city planning on some of current buildings in the city centre. Seems a bit of weird one for the council to go all the way to China for Tony to essentially just offer his experience (I used to work for a local authority so I know a work jolly is a distinct possibility, but that’s fairly extreme).

I believe that earlier in the year Keith Wyness gave a radio interview (which I sadly can’t find) and he intimated something along the lines of wanting to have Aston as a second city centre (or words to that affect).

All sounds great and ambitious. It probably might never happen and I understand the scepticism. But I personally don’t see any reason to doubt that was/is the intention.

4 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Yep I’m aware of that. I’ve also seen something from Tony talking about being able to offer his expertise in city planning on some of current buildings in the city centre. Seems a bit of weird one for the council to go all the way to China for Tony to essentially just offer his experience (I used to work for a local authority so I know a work jolly is a distinct possibility, but that’s fairly extreme).

I believe that earlier in the year Keith Wyness gave a radio interview (which I sadly can’t find) and he intimated something along the lines of wanting to have Aston as a second city centre (or words to that affect).

All sounds great and ambitious. It probably might never happen and I understand the scepticism. But I personally don’t see any reason to doubt that was/is the intention.

OK - Well we will have to agree to disagree. The extent of xia's  redevelopment so far is a refit of the club shop - so he has a way to go in that area.  

• Like 1

Everything feels up in the air atm with the club so wouldn't dismiss this story at all.

Obviously Dr Tony knew the implications of us not going up but I imagine like most people put bad news to the back of his mind and now the reality is dawning on him. Now he could well be open to offers.

He's said consistantly in interviews he did first six months he expected us to be back in the premier league within two years so we have failed in that target so understandbly he'll be frustrated and questioning himself privately whether it's worth it.

He's certainly had a harder rap from us after what happened with Lerner so we're a far more sceptical fanbase now regarding an owners motives. I would say I have sympathy for him as I do think he'd spend and show ambition if we went up and would be interested on the scale of his off the field plans which would tie in with the premier league.

Of course predictably we're making trying to get promoted the hardest thing in the world so the plans are very much in the vault atm.

Edited by VillaChris

1 hour ago, hippo said:

Probably rubbish - but would be good if true.

Surely any new ownership would have the same FFP restrictions on them. Makes me question why would any consortium just wait for us to ride this season out and then pounce next summer when we won't be so restricted in transfer activity. We'd very likely still be a championship club.

4 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Everything feels up in the air atm with the club so wouldn't dismiss this story at all.

Obviously Dr Tony need the implications of us not going up but I imagine like most people put bad news to the back of his mind and now the reality is dawning on him. Now he could well be open to offers.

He's said consistantly in interviews he did first six months he expected us to be back in the premier league within two years so we have failed in that target so understandbly he'll be frustrated and questioning himself privately whether it's worth it.

He's certainly had a harder rap from us after what happened with Lerner so we're a far more sceptical fanbase now regarding an owners motives. I would say I have sympathy for him as I do think he'd spend and show ambition if we went up and would be interested on the scale of his off the field plans which would tie in with the premier league.

Of course predictably we're making trying to get promoted the hardest thing in the world so the plans are very much in the vault atm.

Its the timescales that make me doubt it - just over a week ago we were 1 game away from a return to the prem. Takeovers IME don't move that fast. Barring a massive upturn in fortunes on the pitch next season I am convinced we are at the beginning of the end for Dr Tony.

I doubt any takeover is happening imminently.

What wouldn't shock me is if Dr Tony has put our name out there to test the water and see if any legitimate bids come in.

Big problem is if there is any thought from the owner he seriously wants out it needs to be wrapped out by start of next season as we've seen how bad seasons can get when an owner is half hearted and dosen't really want to own the club anymore.

3 hours ago, PieFacE said:

oooooooh, that looks interes..... 

.... oh, it;'s the Sun! pffffft!

• Haha 1

I call bull to the sun's 'story'.

Whats his reason for selling suddenly?

As a side note if it was true a british consortium sounds like none of us have the money to put in on our own.

I miss the talk of Larry Ellison.

Please god let this be a mischievous story.  Talks of "a consortium of a British Businessman" scares the shit out of me. Confirms an extended stay in this league as we dwindle away to a Leeds, Sheffield Wednesday, Nottingham Forest status. 

45 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Please god let this be a mischievous story.  Talks of "a consortium of a British Businessman" scares the shit out of me. Confirms an extended stay in this league as we dwindle away to a Leeds, Sheffield Wednesday, Nottingham Forest status. 

Wonder if Simon Jordan is involved 

Â