Tony Xia (no longer involved with AVFC)

Vancvillan

19 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

See, I remember it but I must remember it wrong! It was mid to early 90's or so and it was Spurs at home. I thought it was 0-0 and we battered them and Colin calderwood cleared on off the line with an overhead in from of the holte... But u can't find it so I must be wrong!

On a wednesday night. It happened. Most one sided 0-0 I've ever seen, I think.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, blandy said:

On a wednesday night. It happened. Most one sided 0-0 I've ever seen, I think.

Thank you blandy!! That's the one. I remember being taken out of school early to go and watch (wouldn't get away with that anymore). Can you remember what year it was at all?

Edited by Mjvilla

My first match was in the relegation season to Div 3

I only remember it being against a team in all white (Swindon/Swansea seem to come to mind)

I was 7/8yrs old at the time and can only really remember the feeling of joy of experiencing a live AV game.

I can clearly remember players of that era, whether they were in the team that first game I dont know.

Tony Dunn

Wright Turnbull Brian Tyler Charlie Aitken

Brian Godfrey - ?

Rudge - Willie Anderson

Peter Broadbent (?) Pete Simmons

Other names spring to mind

Barry Hole

long time ago........

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

I only remember it being against a team in all white (Swindon/Swansea seem to come to mind)

I was 7/8yrs old at the time and can only really remember the feeling of joy of experiencing a live AV game.

I can clearly remember players of that era, whether they were in the team that first game I dont know.

Tony Dunn

Brian Godfrey - ?

Rudge - Willie Anderson

Barry Hole

long time ago........

Team section in that era that could have been picked but wasn`t would have read,

Wright, Brown, Aitken, Arce, Hole :D

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

Thank you blandy!! That's the one. I remember being taken out of school early to go and watch (wouldn't get away with that anymore). Can you remember what year it was at all?

Yes, it was the year we came second, 10 March 1993.

Sticks in my mind, apart from the game, because I got followed home all the way by @LancsVillan, who wanted to lift share ( we didn't know each other then). Now good buds, all down to his car pursuit skills :)

51 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

Tony Dunn

Brian Godfrey - ?

Rudge - Willie Anderson

Barry Hole

long time ago........

Yes the doc was manager. I know the great Peter Broadbent was at the club then but not sure how many games he played. Simmons scored the winner against Blues in front of 54000 the year before. Tont Hateley was playing for them and Dave Latchford. 

3 hours ago, Phumfeinz said:

I don't remember the team, but the one thing I do remember is being in total awe when we walked up the steps and out to the pitch for the first time. That was awesome.

Exactly that for me, couldn't tell you one player but I know it was Leeds in 91/92 and we were late so by the time I walked out of the tunnel it was full and loud and it just hit me, my older brother still remembers the look on my face. 

I was 4 years old but that moment stuck with me forever.

epic. Hope one day if I have a boy I'll do the same, even if I live in London. 

2 hours ago, Grasshopper said:

Tony Dunn

Brian Godfrey - ?

Rudge - Willie Anderson

BARRY HOLE

long time ago........

he's fat,he's round and he's in the rose and crown,barry hole,barry hole.

2 hours ago, blandy said:

Yes, it was the year we came second, 10 March 1993.

Sticks in my mind, apart from the game, because I got followed home all the way by @LancsVillan, who wanted to lift share ( we didn't know each other then). Now good buds, all down to his car pursuit skills :)

So, I had just turned 7!! Very good to know that I didn't make it up! I shall google it and have a look what I can find when the kids are in bed! 

I love little stories like that and how friendships can be made... All because the villa family brings us together! Despite the disagreements I here!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Grasshopper said:

You are absolutely spot on

But!

If we want promotion, we need 1-0 up after 5mins to be 2-0 up eventually and 3pts home or away, especially against teams like BrC.

After all we are AVFC with (even some shit players) a good enough team to win such games

I'm confident it will come, once we click there will be no stopping us, for this level we have an embarrassment of riches going forward.

Just a moment to reflect.

When Bernstein and King Resigned, it felt like the Titanic going down......did they know that it was going to turn out like this? ( obviously RDM still has his bit to do)

Steve Hollis obviously stood his ground, kept his own council and the rest as they say is History.

I do think despite a few adverse comments , Hollis did us proud in the short time he was there, albeit we did deserve a bit of good fortune.

He will always be welcome to VP in my eyes ( for the bit that I know and see)

Well over to Dr Tone now ......and I wouldn't swap him for all the tea in China.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, TRO said:

Just a moment to reflect.

When Bernstein and King Resigned, it felt like the Titanic going down......did they know that it was going to turn out like this? ( obviously RDM still has his bit to do)

Steve Hollis obviously stood his ground, kept his own council and the rest as they say is History.

I do think despite a few adverse comments , Hollis did us proud in the short time he was there, albeit we did deserve a bit of good fortune.

He will always be welcome to VP in my eyes ( for the bit that I know and see)

Well over to Dr Tone now ......and I wouldn't swap him for all the tea in China.

I remember Hollis coming in for a lot of flak but he got the job done didn't he?

• Like 1

Â