Tony Xia (no longer involved with AVFC)

Vancvillan

1 hour ago, The Fun Factory said:

Why not? It is true though. Villa averaged 33,690 last season which was very good considering the total dross served up. It also proves that we are the biggest team in the area even when we are rubbish. However Albion averaged 24,631 last season, the other lot managed to get 17,603 on average and little old Wallsall on the back of a very good season got 5,382 average punters. That is a grand total of 47,616 people in the area who will never go and watch Villa. And that is not even including Wolves.  What I was trying to say is that we have very decent support base but there is always going to be a lot of people who like football in the west midlands who would not watch us even if we were a serious force again.

That is very true TFF, but equally there is c 8,000 that have walked during these dark days and I guess there is many who are non partisan fans who just like football and go to a game.There could be some like "striker" who have 2 teams i.e Man U & us due to living locally.

5 hours ago, av1 said:

Some of that would be offset by those extra fans spending money at the ground. Another aspect is prize money, whilst that can never be quantifiable, it is generally accepted that a vociferous support can benefit a teams performance/placing. 

This is all guesswork of course, but if a relatively small drop in ticket prices led to another 10k or so fans at the ground every week, i think the overall cost to club would be negligible. 

Agree.

And my original point was that nobody knows.  Some assume the 'accountants' know, but how on earth could they ?  Unless and until they try it, (by applying very reduced prices to a couple of games, well publicised), it is by definition impossible to know what the response would be. Every Club is different, and each Club is itself different year to year.

Put it this way, does anybody doubt we would fill the ground every week if it was free ?  (Again though, only one way to find out !.)

And does anybody doubt the ground would be empty if it was £10000 per ticket ?

Right, so somewhere between the two you can fill the ground but charge something.  All that remains to be found is whether the price at which you fill the ground balances out in terms of other sales, merchandise, food, and so on.

Worth a couple of games to find out, never really been done to my knowledge. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AvfcTheObsession said:

We would lose a lot more money than that. I'm not against reducing the prices (it would benefit me too of course!), but take this weekend's game as an example.

We play Forest at 1.15PM on a Sunday, live on Sky. Say average adult ticket price is £30, projected attendance circa 30k, by reducing this to an average of £20 an adult ticket, no way that will add anything like 10k on to the crowd. You might get a couple of thousand at most that are put off by the price as the main factor, but we are in the hands of Sky and sadly that is one of the more important factors as it had messed up the kick-off time, the day of the game, coupled with the fact it's a second-tier match with us not having a great start after a few bad years, and I don't see a lot of extra fans willing to justify the overall cost of the day out (petrol/parking or train fare, food/drink, their kids tickets if applicable), just because the price of one of the 3-4 things they have to pay for reduces by a third.

But nobody knows.  And you don't know how many we would get at £15, nor how many of them would buy food etc. Who knows, at £10 maybe we could sell 75000 tickets ?

And as for food by the way, there is reason to think they would spend on that, because (a) people are all used to buying food out these days, and (b) even if you stayed at home you have to eat, so resistance to spending on food is 'soft'. 

Edited by terrytini

4 hours ago, blandy said:

This is a bit off topic, but pricing people out of fattening games prices them out of not just that game, or games, but basically a lifetime, or good period of attendance. And maybe their kids, too. Or if they are a youngster, they don't turn into a lifelong fan.

Absolutely. I mentioned this in the 'first game' thread, but my Dad was a baggies fan. He couldn't afford to go to the football, so my first game was when the next door neighbour took me down Villa park when i was 10, the rest as they say is history. 

Had my Dad been slightly better off, or had the cost of tickets been slightly lower, I'd have probably been a baggies fan. Thats a perfect example of at least 1 potential fan lost to the crazy cost of football. 

I suppose i should be thankful that my old man didn't have a pot to piss in :P

Here's a question. Let's imagine that Villa had a stadium right now that holds 70,000 and over the last two seasons we had won back-to-back Premier League titles, an FA Cup and lost in last season's Champions League final to Barca. Going into this season we had a match day squad of something like this:

------------------------Neuer---------------------

Walker---Pique------Hummels---Alaba

--------------Koke-----Pogba-----------------

----------------------Silva-----------------------

Bale-------------Aguero------------Neymar

Subs include: Cech, Lahm, Ramos, Rakitic, Schweinsteiger, Ibrahimovic, Kane. 

Season tickets range from £450-£750 for adults and match day tickets cost between £30 and £60. 

What do you reckon our average attendance could be in that situation? 

1 hour ago, villarocker said:

Here's a question. Let's imagine that Villa had a stadium right now that holds 70,000 and over the last two seasons we had won back-to-back Premier League titles, an FA Cup and lost in last season's Champions League final to Barca. Going into this season we had a match day squad of something like this:

Season tickets range from £450-£750 for adults and match day tickets cost between £30 and £60. 

I wouldn't want to go with that team... I'd prefer kroos over Koke. Wouldn't spend money on that shit! :)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, villarocker said:

I think we could get 70,0000. At that level you get thousands of foreign day trippers. You only have to go down Villa park when United etc are in town and you see hundreds of them 

Being Chinese owned as well we would be an essential part of the tourist trip for any Chinese visitors. 

You would certainly draw in people from all over the midlands and m5 corridor who previously wouldn't even have considered Villa. And of course drop the local drain of kids supporting the Sky club teams. 

3 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I think we could get 70,0000. At that level you get thousands of foreign day trippers. You only have to go down Villa park when United etc are in town and you see hundreds of them 

Being Chinese owned as well we would be an essential part of the tourist trip for any Chinese visitors. 

You would certainly draw in people from all over the midlands and m5 corridor who previously wouldn't even have considered Villa. And of course drop the local drain of kids supporting the Sky club teams. 

Let's look at the example of Leceister. Before promotion in 2014 they were average 22,000 at home. After promotion and before the title win the average attendance was already an extra 10,000 fans and a sell out; almost 50% increase. In the title winning season they of course continued to sell out the ground at 32,000. Does anyone doubt that they could happily sell out 40,000 or more now if they had the means? Many of them foreign I'd bet. Success will bring the fans. 

20 minutes ago, mikeyjavfc said:

Let's look at the example of Leceister. Before promotion in 2014 they were average 22,000 at home. After promotion and before the title win the average attendance was already an extra 10,000 fans and a sell out; almost 50% increase. In the title winning season they of course continued to sell out the ground at 32,000. Does anyone doubt that they could happily sell out 40,000 or more now if they had the means? Many of them foreign I'd bet. Success will bring the fans. 

And quite rightly away fans would sing at us "where we're you when you were s**t" 

8 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

People seem to be tweeting him absolute rubbish. Kit not arriving, can't book tickets etc fair play to him for responding but I can see that getting annoying very quickly. 

I dunno, I reckon he'll be more frustrated in 5 years time when people are asking him "Dr Xia, why buy Griezmann for £65m when you could have gotten Neymar for £60m?" :P

3 hours ago, villarocker said:

Not a lot, our team's average age would be through the roof ;)

The quality of a product is paramount to its success, but equally pricing is crucial to balance.

I accept that both pieces of criteria are central to its success.

One without the other leaves an imbalance that affects volume.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, sidcow said:

700000 might be a bit optimistic and one hell of a stadium. I'm not sure I'd fancy a seat towards the back.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, dudevillaisnice said:

People seem to be tweeting him absolute rubbish. Kit not arriving, can't book tickets etc fair play to him for responding but I can see that getting annoying very quickly. 

Saw a tweet this morning that was being retweeted telling some villa fan to leave him alone, had a look, about 50 tweets to him...last couple were moaning that the junior lions didn't send him a birthday card followed by the birthday card they did send him had the wrong age on...contact the junior lions then! 

Im from kiddy, my ST has bromsgrove lions on it, if I want it changed am I going to contact the bloke who runs the lions clubs formally or contact our chairman by tweeting him? Or even worse when he doesn't reply am I going to start berating him?

What he's doing is being abused, it's why we're not allowed nice things

• Like 2

6 hours ago, sidcow said:

I'd like to also add on that Stratford-Upon-Avon is very popular with Chinese tourists, and Villa Park is barely an hours drive away from there on a good day.

Edited by meme
  • Like 1

I wonder if we could do something over at Resorts World perhaps?  New store?  No idea on costings here, but a new store in the Bullring or Grand Central would be good for income and exposure.  Footfall must be good in those areas. 

Edited by ferguson1

46 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

I wonder if we could do something over at World Resorts perhaps?  New store?  No idea on costings here, but a new store in the bull ring or grand central would be good for income and exposure.  Footfall must be good in those areas. 

It's a good point and certainly an area that needs addressing. I needed to pop in to the Villa Park store during the week - I was the only person in there. Financially speaking I doubt there is little point keeping either the shop or the ticket office open on non-match days at Villa Park. If people need either service in person, they can easily get it in Birmingham City Centre. No-one is in Aston on non-match days! 

Personally I'd close the New Street store and make the Villa Park store only open match days. Reinvest the cash on a prime spot in the Bullring/Grand Central that caters for both services. More footfall, advertising the club and more sales (merchandise AND tickets) from people who are just passing and get enticed in! If desperate maybe make Villa Park a pick up point (counter rather than shop), but still doubt it'd be used.

I wouldn't bother with Resort World yet, I don't know many people who have even visited yet. 

4 hours ago, meme said:

I'd like to also add on that Stratford-Upon-Avon is very popular with Chinese tourists, and Villa Park is barely an hours drive away from there on a good day.

I live in London so can't buy a Villa shirt anywhere, old dear and step dad live in Stratford, I went back for a mates wedding last weekend and thought to myself "aah I'll pop down sports direct and get the new home shirt" 

They had 1 Large Boys and 1 Medium boys shirts hidden away behind a bunch of random teams in the whole store, no away shirts. 

Thats pretty shocking considering its proximity and the fair number of Villa fans that live there. 

Was also in Tokyo 2 weeks ago, went into 2 under armour stores... Not one villa shirt 

Edited by spiezels
Adding point

Â