Tony Xia (no longer involved with AVFC)

Vancvillan

11 minutes ago, jim said:

Tony now saying we have many good players in the squad just the wrong management.

Looks to me like he is getting his excuses in already.

He said that they've had the wrong management.  He's probably right.  Grealish is looking back to his old self, Bacuna was industrious, and we don't know what he's seen in training.

1 minute ago, NurembergVillan said:

He said that they've had the wrong management.  He's probably right.  Grealish is looking back to his old self, Bacuna was industrious, and we don't know what he's seen in training.

I'm not so sure. Outside of Grealish and Ayew the rest were pretty damn shite. Bacuna was awful outside of that cross which a half decent keeper would have claimed anyway.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Unfortunately such a lackadaisical approach is going cost us. We need ruthless change, a manager to step in and immediately address the issues of last season, rather than someone who out of ignorance is going to repeat the same mistakes.

Exactly. And what does he need to look at anyway!? Did he spend last season in a cave with his eyes closed and his fingers in his ears. He should know how bad some of this squad is just on last season's showing. 

• Like 1

And again it's Di Matteo (according to Xia) that has said the good players have had the wrong management. Xia's just putting his faith in the football professionals, that he's hired.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, jim said:

Or speaking on the reality of what has been reported to him by a coaching staff which have had day to day interaction and observance of the group, as well as get paid millions to do so.:ph34r:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jim said:

Tony now saying we have many good players in the squad just the wrong management.

I think the money for player spend  (£30m, £40m) is there and Xia had every intention of spending it when he said this.

RDM has obviously looked at the squad and been impressed by the quality (worrying!), feels strong management can improve attitudes / resilience etc, and has not yet really gone to Xia cap in hand.

8 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

A bad defeat at Sheff Weds (which looks more likely than a decent win to me) and we'll sign 2-3 before Rotherham I reckon.

It's always the way of clubs to knee jerk after a bad defeat.

I hope you are right. The past few years it has seemed nothing causes the club to panic. They always smugly nod and insist they know what they are doing. 

Now is the time for knee jerk reactions and panic buys. Our squad is terrible. They are not going to come good, we do not have a good "spine" of a team. We are awful.

Spend and spend big now.

Deals take time. Selling clubs hold out. It's difficult business. One thing I'm sure if is that they're trying to get new players in. It's not like before, where we were actively trying to not spend money. I don't think there is any reason to believe they would lie about wanting to shift a few players and sign a few.

Hopefully the hard work they put in to deals pays off.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, TrentVilla said:

No, pre-season results matter very little.

What does matter is when you see the same issues in a side heading into a season as resulted in you being relegated the season before.

Agreed and I said as much in the promotion thread on Boro's 2nd goal. But I still feel as though at least 3 or 4 players that started today won't be starting the majority of our league fixtures this season. I'm concerned like everyone else but I think it's too early to get extremely worked up over the game today.

1 minute ago, NSmith22 said:

Agreed and I said as much in the promotion thread on Boro's 2nd goal. But I still feel as though at least 3 or 4 players that started today won't be starting the majority of our league fixtures this season. I'm concerned like everyone else but I think it's too early to get extremely worked up over the game today.

I agree as the outcome today was largely what I expected.

• Like 1

we have been woeful accross the field for 3+ seasons . So no preseason doesnt matter but the fact we have been terrible for so long and it doesnt look like its changing yet

4 minutes ago, NSmith22 said:

sadly I think that will be our mainly starting XI minus Amavi for Cissokho and Tshibola for Gardner

Â