Tony Xia (no longer involved with AVFC)

Vancvillan

48 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

Were never going to go forward as a club when we have players like Hutton Cissokho Bacuna e.t.c playing for us

But Bacuna is champions league quality!

Jokes aside, these players obviously have something about them, Hutton is an international and played for Tottenham, Cissokho was deemed good enough for Liverpool at one point, even Gabby got into the England squad at one point, so our squad collectively might be shit at the moment, but maybe RDM has a point, good players, poor management, obviously their attitudes are appalling and that would be reason enough to get rid of them, however, if RDM thinks with a clean slate they can challenge for promotion, then they all have my support and I can forgive the shambles of last season. 

New start, new season, new era. 

58 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

Were never going to go forward as a club when we have players like Hutton Cissokho Bacuna e.t.c playing for us

Not even the full backs get forward :D

1 hour ago, tinker said:

It was reported  he spent 5 years at Havard and 6 months at Oxford, he's English is only a bit better than mine and I went to Mathew Boulton! Holes, big holes  

The other day on Twitter I clocked ex-VT poster IanRobo criticising Dr. Tony as illiterate - I almost fell off my chair laughing at the irony.

9 hours ago, penguin said:

Have to admit I had a bit of a sinking feeling when he tweeted that RDM had told him 'squad full of talent but had been badly managed.' Oh god no. 

I think this is being blown out of proportion. We were never going to do a complete revamp of the squad and there are talented players in there who would show a lot more of their class with better or more hardworking players around them.

Tony has also stated there are a number of players he and RDM want out of the club. I expect the truth lies somewhere in the middle. If after January we are still absolutely woeful and still persisting on playing the bad apples then will be the time to say I told you so. A week before the season starts when the window is open for a few weeks yet is way too early to panic.

• Like 1

Just now, Ginko said:

I think this is being blown out of proportion. We were never going to do a complete revamp of the squad and there are talented players in there who would show a lot more of their class with better or more hardworking players around them.

Tony has also stated there are a number of players he and RDM want out of the club. I expect the truth lies somewhere in the middle. If after January we are still absolutely woeful and still persisting on playing the bad apples then will be the time to say I told you so. A week before the season starts when the window is open for a few weeks yet is way too early to panic.

Agreed - I think it's pretty clear by who wasn't involved yesterday in respect of who they want out.

He has been fairly candid in his tweets about the market and desire to sign new players - if that isn't followed up come 1st September then I think it's fair for him to come under criticism.

Not that all problems will be suddenly be solved then either - it's going to take a bit of time for the team to gel and RDM to get his ideals across.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AshVilla said:

We are never going to go forward as a forum when all we do is repeat the same tired rhetoric.

• Like 1

If we are looking to bring Baker back into the squad for this season, I very much doubt we are looking to get out of the Championship first pop. At the moment it seems we still have Lerner, barr the Twitter rubbish.

• Like 1

We haven't seen him in a year, maybe he's improved? He's also one of our biggest and most imposing CBs whereas Okore and Clark are quite short for the position and Elphick is only 3'5".

Baker also has more Championship experience than Clark and Okore. He might prove to be useful yet. I wouldn't see it as an indictment of whether we'll be successful in our promotion push.

Edited by Ginko
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ginko said:

We haven't seen him in a year, maybe he's improved? He's also one of our biggest and most imposing CBs whereas Okore and Clark are quite short for the position and Elphick is only 3'5".

Baker also has more Championship experience than Clark and Okore. He might prove to be useful yet. I wouldn't see it as an indictment of whether we'll be successful in our promotion push.

Has Baker made a mistake in pre season yet? It was Elphick who lost his man for the Rhodes header yesterday. Thought he's been impressive so far and much improved.

I'm not believing in this, "we need players with Championship experience". It's a load of old cobblers. We have just had a new owner, who, apparently (although I think its bullshit) has money to spend. We need to build like a Premiership club,  no not like the Man United's or Chelsea's, but build and buy good quality players, to smash the Championship and get back into the elite.

As someone has already said, with the team we have, we are not going to threaten the top 6 in this league, its a hard tough league, an unfortunately at the moment, as has already been shown, we don't really have any hard tough players.

• Like 3

I'm not sure we 'need' to buy players with Championship experience, I just think if they have some it helps.

As for buying to shape a PL team, yeah, that's great in an ideal world, but attracting PL quality players to a team in the Championship is near impossible without offering ridiculous wages which we aren't going to do and nor should we.

We already have a huge squad. Buying PL quality players, putting them on massive wages and adding them to a squad as big as ours is a risky gambit. If it fails then we'll be back where we were when O'Neill left. A big squad of questionable talent on ridiculous wages that cripples us for seasons to come. We're not far off that now.

There's time left in the window to shift some out and replace them with smart signings. Let's see what happens between now and when the window closes. If we're left without another creative type and Gestede still anywhere near the starting line up, that is the time to worry and complain.

Edited by Ginko

2 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Only if the point of the site is premature panic.

Thought the point of the site was to debate all views about Villa ,  which is of course what was meant by my post .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jon_c said:

I don't know about Havard, but from experience I can tell you that people that went to Oxford, aren't half as clever as they want people to think it means you are.

And from experience, I can tell you you have to be exceptionally clever to go to Oxford.

• Like 2

What?  Not anything?   Not a Champions League winning manager with a highly rated coaching team?  Not 3 new players?  Not the beginning of last season's dross leaving the building?  Not a CEO with a proven track record in football?  Not a new academy in one of the most rapidly emerging economies in the world?

I think if we want to look for negatives we'll find them, and Villa fans are really good at finding them.  The amount of bed-wetting about the Wolves takeover has been incredible.  At this moment in time I wouldn't swap with them for all the tea in China.

Edited by limpid
fixed quote
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, lexicon said:

I think some are underestimating how big the task of rebuilding is. 

It's massive and we haven't gotten off to a quick enough start in terms of player recruitment. This next month is going to be crucial now.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, lexicon said:

I think some are underestimating how big the task of rebuilding is. 

Agreed.

Really hope Xia and Di Matteo are not among those people.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

It's massive and we haven't gotten off to a quick enough start in terms of player recruitment. This next month is going to be crucial now.

The problem is that there is not a big queue of player wanting to come to Villa. Even clubs like Burnley are more attractive than us now. We have to get the decent players when they become available and when they are willing to come to us. There is not some magic wand that RDM and Dr X can wave and 20 top players will magically arrive. I swear some forumites think it is just like popping to tesco, sticking a few players in a trolley and heading for the checkout. 

Edited by TheStagMan

Â