Tony Xia (no longer involved with AVFC)

Vancvillan

2 minutes ago, Richard said:

Agreed and his naivety of football world is something that was suggested some days ago.  He would be better deleting his twitter account

Yeah TBH I've probably said it often enough already, so I'm not going to continue beating that drum.  At this point I'll just go on staring in baffled amazement and hope that the straw that finally breaks the camel's twitter back is a relatively minor one, and not something more serious.

2 minutes ago, Bunnski said:

Can anyone enlighten me to what 'D now G!' means?

We suspect it means Delph now Gana, relating to release clauses and betrayal.  Y'know.  Fairly standard owner to fan interaction.

39 minutes ago, Richard said:

Clearly Gana as the release clause in Gabby's contract is not worth mentioning

Yeah, had it been Gabby the tweet had probably been the other way around.

"Said leaving one day, and didn't bugger off anyway. N'Zog now G"

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Richard said:

Agreed and his naivety of football world is something that was suggested some days ago.  He would be better deleting his twitter account

Owner recognises release clauses are rubbish - this is something we all agree on. Like Useless says, Ayew don;t need one, nor Amavi.

Just now, Jareth said:

Owner recognises release clauses are rubbish - this is something we all agree on.

Not really.

The amount of posters here proclaiming we wouldn't be able to sign 'talents' like we did in the summer without relegation clauses was very amusing.

Just now, rodders0223 said:

Not really.

The amount of posters here proclaiming we wouldn't be able to sign 'talents' like we did in the summer without relegation clauses was very amusing.

Ok, so they are a good thing?

1 hour ago, BOF said:

Which is all very well but it will mean you often end up not getting the player you wanted.  It's idealism and has little basis in modern footballing reality.

It's an interesting subject for debate. Player power has increased substantially over the years but in my view, this will change. As all other things, the balance will swing from one side to the other and player power is now so strong that I can see the balance starting to swing the other way. For example,  I do not see clubs in  the future accepting to pay shitloads in wages and not being able to terminate contracts for cause as in all other employment relationships (Read: the "Gabby situation"). Clubs will IMO, due to better financial positions  (both due to rich owners, TV deals and other substantial revenue streams and the pure fact that player contracts have become quite extreme), be able to start commanding more balanced contracts. I am not saying that Villa will be the "first mover" on this but; why the hell not: In the championship we are, despite what some of our more depressed fans are saying, one the most attractive prospects and we may, just may, be able to say more than before that "we want you but it will be on our terms". I for one would welcome such a development and if Dr Mr Tony Tweet wants to champion this I will be cheering him on. 

Edited by Hughes
Typo
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Hughes said:

It's an interesting subject for debate. Player power has increased substantially over the years but in my view, this will change. As all other things, the balance will swing from one side to the other and player power is now so strong that I can see the balance starting to swing the other way. For example,  I do not see clubs in  the future accepting to pay shitloads in wages and not being able to terminate contracts for cause as in all other employment relationships (Read: the "Gabby situation"). Clubs will IMO, due to better financial positions  (both due to rich owners, TV deals and other substantial revenue streams and the pure fact that player contracts have become quite extreme), be able to start commanding more balanced contracts. I am not saying that Villa will be the "first mover" on this but; why the hell not: In the championship we are, despite what some of our more depressed fans are saying, one the most attractive prospects and we may, just may, be able to say more than before that "we want you but it will be on our terms". I for one would welcome such a development and if Dr Mr Tony Tweet with wants to champion this is will be cheering him on. 

I agree to an extent, and my attitude towards release clauses as I alluded to earlier very much depends on the status of the player.  I think if you're bringing in relatively run of the mill 5 or 6 million pound players then there's no reason to have to bow down to a buyout clause unless they've a different set of circumstances like Adama from Barcelona.  I do think if you go up into the 20m region, which granted we're not in right now, then you're into players who probably have aspirations and maybe delusions of grandeur and the only way to placate them may be to go along with a clause, but hopefully one which will keep both parties happy in the event of it triggering.  I suspect the clause in Gana's case was linked to relegation because otherwise the numbers don't add up.  A £7.1m clause on a player who cost £9m is bonkers.  I think you're right though when you say that right now, in this league as the biggest fish, we should be better able to negotiate everything to our satisfaction, and I like the profile of the players that have been brought in so far.  Here's to many more :P

1 minute ago, BOF said:

I agree to an extent, and my attitude towards release clauses as I alluded to earlier very much depends on the status of the player.  I think if you're bringing in relatively run of the mill 5 or 6 million pound players then there's no reason to have to bow down to a buyout clause unless they've a different set of circumstances like Adama from Barcelona.  I do think if you go up into the 20m region, which granted we're not in right now, then you're into players who probably have aspirations and maybe delusions of grandeur and the only way to placate them may be to go along with a clause, but hopefully one which will keep both parties happy in the event of it triggering.  I suspect the clause in Gana's case was linked to relegation because otherwise the numbers don't add up.  A £7.1m clause on a player who cost £9m is bonkers.  I think you're right though when you say that right now, in this league as the biggest fish, we should be better able to negotiate everything to our satisfaction, and I like the profile of the players that have been brought in so far.  Here's to many more :P

Gana's case is possibly different, in that he arrived with the avowed intention of moving on as soon as possible, clearly thinking he was already too good for us, therefore it was probably not possible to get him without agreeing an `escape' clause.

3 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Certainly not, and when I argued as much I was shot down by nearly every poster on here.

Ah, sorry, read yer post in a rush then got all hissy. Wife has stopped my cider thursdays, I'm well up tight.

1 hour ago, Villan_of_oz said:

I bet if id gone round in 2014 saying Leicester will win the Premier League in 15/16 I would've been locked up in a asylum..............

You already are

Australia ;-)

Â