Tony Xia (no longer involved with AVFC)

Vancvillan

4 minutes ago, BOF said:

:P The irony is that a parody twitter account of Xia would involve starting an account and not posting anything.

Cant like as Ive used 40 already on all the anti Xia posts today!!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Richard said:

The people making the perception

Take my post about Ayew in the transfer thread.  Someone says they have it on good authority that Ayw is going,  I post the quote from the owner and then get subjected to all sorts because of that.  Tell me how my post was perceived and why

It's perceived that way because of all the other criticism you've posted. If you hadn't that particular post wouldn't have been met with the same response.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I still haven't come to a firm conclusion one way or another regarding Tony Xia

Me either. But I will continue to have doubts .

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

It's perceived that way because of all the other criticism you've posted. If you hadn't that particular post wouldn't have been met with the same response.

Thanks.  So perceived that way because of the poster ,  not the post.

• Like 2

I'm going to cease posting in this thread for the time being. I'll be honest, I find the accusation that I'm 'moaning for the sake of moaning' to be quite offensive. Anyway, it's probably better that I leave the thread. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

You've made some good points here, but to address the bolded, the reason to question a 10-year target after just 6 weeks is because the target in question is self-evidently ridiculous and unachievable in time frames far far longer than 10 years. 

Yet Leicester achieved it in less time 

18 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

You're right, I am criticising it. I'm not 'desperate' to do so, but I will criticise when I see something to criticise. Aims and targets should be SMART, ie. Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant and Time-bound. His target meets the last two criteria (relevant to Villa, yes) and time-bound (yes, ten years) but it isn't specific (we don't know in what way we will be one of the three biggest globally, as my conversation with @Godders shows it could be anything from 'trophies won' to 'social media followers'), and therefore it is not measurable, and if it involves being better on the football pitch than all of Juventus, Bayern Munich, PSG, Atletico Madrid, both Manchester teams, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal and whomever else all at the same time it isn't achievable either. 

You ask 'what's the major issue with stating such a high ambition'. The answer is that studies show employees (read: players) find unrealistic targets demotivating. They breed an attitude of 'well, we'd never achieve what management want anyway, so why bother trying'. A more sensible, more motivating target might have been 'get promoted from the Championship at the first time of asking', which could have been failed but would still have been plausible. 

On the 'only 6 weeks' point, you don't need to wait until a target has been failed to say that it is a bad target. 

EDIT: To develop this point further, the other reason ridiculous targets are demotivating is that they suggest management have a poor grasp of the industry, which is an impression Xia would have done better to avoid giving in his first interview. 

Objectives should be SMART, aims and ambitions don't need to be .  Objectives are for the employees to use to work towards the business aims in a unified way.  

I work for one of the fastest growing businesses in the UK.  We have the aim, as a business, to make xxx the most popular sport in the world.  It won't ever be, as xxx is not football, cricket, baseball etc, but that is still the ambition we have as a business.  We aim for that with challenging plans for 3-5 year growth and annual budgets and objectives that are (just about) attainable.  The point is to have everyone constantly striving to be the best.  

To come back to Villa, if the height of Tony's ambition is mid-table premier league that's as far as we'll get.  Shoot for the moon etc.  We almost certainly won't be one of the top 3 clubs in the world in 10 years, but let's see where we can get to.  We've been the best (if not biggest) club in europe before, so let's keep that ambition.  The objectives on the way are promotion this year, champions league in 5 etc - still challenging but (possibly) achievable.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

1. Well if none of the people who could possibly help to achieve the target feel affected by the target, then it's a bad target because nobody will be working towards it. See my example of 'get promoted from the Championship at the first time of asking' for an example of a target that would be directly relevant to the players and management we have today. 

2. Obviously I can't disagree with you. People are individuals, and can be motivated in different ways. But most people don't react in that way, which is why being 'achievable' is one of the measures of a good target. 

3. I know it can be difficult to follow a thread in a conversation with many parties, especially in a high-traffic thread like this one this morning. So to be crystal clear, I responded initially to a post by @DCJonah that stated it was too soon to judge Xia on a target with a 10-year time horizon. I have only been addressing this issue this morning. I am criticising this target, and currently nothing else. I am not 'moaning for the sake of moaning'. If I didn't feel that the subject was worth addressing, I wouldn't have discussed at length in several posts. 

I've numbered your points so I can respond coherently. I can't seem to do that splitting the quote up schtuff. 

1. Did he not also set the target of promotion within 2 years? I would suggest the 10 year target was more for us/media/PR purposes than the current bunch. RDM included. Heck, Wyness likely won't be here in 10 years either. Perhaps Xia himself won't be. 10 years is a loooooong time in football. Think about where we ourselves were 10 years ago and all that has happened in between. We were a decent striker (some may say manager) away from Champions League, perhaps even more.

2. I don't agree that most people in the field in which we (as a club) operate, professional sports, do not react that way. If they don't then they're unlikely to have the required mental strength to make it to the very top. Aside from that I'm not sure players ever really pay much attention to that stuff and if they do, it will be drowned out by the day to day activity within the confines of the dressing room itself. Generally, at most clubs, the manager sets the tone which is occasionally advised to them by the board. I would be surprised if RDM is reminding them of this particular target on a day to day basis. 

3. Fair point. I should have separated out that final line and made it a more general point aimed at the message board as a whole.  

By the way, I was in Rome last weekend. Sat outside eating my dinner al fresco I looked into a bar opposite and on the TV, the Italian version of Sky Sports, they were showing Leicester vs Oxford in a friendly.

Are Leicester City one of the top 3 clubs in the world? No, of course not. But that's a decent runner up prize. I'd take it. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.

19 minutes ago, useless said:

Finally I think this might just be it, Xia has big plans for us and he hopes as a consequence of those plans we become one of the best known clubs in the world. He hasn't promised anything. Also his objectives are distinct, first promotion then maintaining Premier status, before aiming for top six. What we do now in trying to get promoted, is a thing apart from what we might do once back in the Prem.

Save your breath for cooling your soup mate. No one cares what you think.

Edited by useless

Right so, after our little discussionary tangent, and in the hope that we've found some middle ground and better understand where the counter-arguments are all originating from, can we get back to discussing Tony full time now thank you :)

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I've numbered your points so I can respond coherently. I can't seem to do that splitting the quote up schtuff. 

1. Did he not also set the target of promotion within 2 years? I would suggest the 10 year target was more for us/media/PR purposes than the current bunch. RDM included. Heck, Wyness likely won't be here in 10 years either. Perhaps Xia himself won't be. 10 years is a loooooong time in football. Think about where we ourselves were 10 years ago and all that has happened in between. We were a decent striker (some may say manager) away from Champions League, perhaps even more.w

Well 1972-1982 is ten years which was how long this great club took to be 3rd Division Champions to Champions of Europe.

Edited by NIVillan
  • Like 4

Â