Tony Xia (no longer involved with AVFC)

Vancvillan

I'm very much in the positive camp regarding Xia. What does confuse me slightly is that Xia, Wyness and RDM have all said promotion is the absolute priority, but little evidence of this.

Whilst promoting the Villa brand in China and India, make some good changes in management personnel and apparent moves to bring youngsters through is all good for the future, doesn't say to me that promotion is the number 1 priority first time of asking.

What would say that is potentially paying over the odds for proven Championship players, who due to age or lack of ability to cut it at Premier League level (McCormack?) we may make a loss on but Xia prepared to take the hit because of financial gains of getting back into the top flight.

Perhaps I just need to have more patience!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BOF said:

Richard, mine was more an observation on the posting style of those sceptical posts.  Not the content.  There is a clear narrative in some of those posts when a question is being asked or an issue raised, that the answer is already assumed and that the eyes are already being rolled.  Now we can play silly buggers all we want, but in my mind if a lot of those 'questions' were phrased better, they wouldn't betray the poster's default position as much.

To be honest Brian I dispute that a bit.  To me regardless of how a question or opinion is framed or worded or phrased in such a way not please or displease anyone who is reading it,  some posters look at the who not the what and immediately take a stance pro or for the post before actually digesting what is said in a similar way that they then do when someone post a contrary stance there seems to be an automatic like. I dont think it is content or style

Just now, Richard said:

To be honest Brian I dispute that a bit.  To me regardless of how a question or opinion is framed or worded or phrased in such a way not please or displease anyone who is reading it,  some posters look at the who not the what and immediately take a stance pro or for the post before actually digesting what is said in a similar way that they then do when someone post a contrary stance there seems to be an automatic like. I dont think it is content or style

I don't doubt that what you describe does take place to a degree, but that also doesn't mean my accusation is not true either.  As a mod I may read more than most and I certainly come across plenty of 'questions' that are quite clearly not really questions at all.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BOF said:

No we're quite clearly not saying that, and you asking the facetious question is precisely an example of why reasonable discussion is very difficult.

No I am challenging the view that it is too early to discuss,  or that because we are only 6 or so weeks in some of the questioning is out of order,  which seemed to be the point being made?

29 minutes ago, dounavilla said:

I think the biggest thing we have learned so far is twitter is poison. 

28 minutes ago, Richard said:

Do we blame a gun when it shoots someone or the person pulling the trigger ?

I'd definitely be more likely to blame be the person pulling the trigger than the guy who owns the gun shop!

• Like 1

By adding "2 or 3 years down the line" which is clearly not a realistic timeline, I felt you were exaggerating to ridicule the point.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BOF said:

By adding "2 or 3 years down the line" which is clearly not a realistic timeline, I felt you were exaggerating to ridicule the point.

Well to put the boot on the other foot a bit,  I do feel similar when accused of "totally against everything" or "pessimistic" or "Totally negative" or already having made up my mind as an exaggeration by people who do not share my stance either.

Not at all saying I posted my response above to make that point by the way,  it was a legitmate challenge to the opinion that it is too early to judge

Edited by Richard

1 hour ago, Richard said:

It seems only when someone is trying to prove that there will be 3 or 4 leaving by the end of this week.

Look DCJonah,  I've tried to debate this with you time and time again.  I've answered your posts and framed my opinion.  I've dealt with why I and skeptical and you still seem unable or unwilling to accept I am entitled to the opinion without calling me pessimistic or negative. You wont change from your stance it is clear,  maybe you think I wont change from mine well to be frank if actions of the next few weeks calmed me then I would be less skeptical.  But it seems prety pointless to keep responding to my posts and me yours at this point.  Just agree to disagree .

Richard, you are absolutely entitled to hold whatever opinion you like, but it is pessimistic whichever way you look at it.

Viewing events that have yet to unfold in a negative or worried fashion constitutes pessimism.

• Like 1

I don't think Xia ever said that three or four would be leaving by the end of the week. Similar with being one of the top three clubs in the world, he might have said it's an ambition, but I don't think he said it's definitely going to happen.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

No, I'm just going to stop you there. It is not too early at all to draw conclusions about how realistic this target is. 

I think most people would agree that Barcelona and Real Madrid are the two biggest teams in the world, currently. So our owner has set as his target, being unambiguously bigger (in some way) than Juventus, Bayern Munich, Atletico Madrid and PSG, as well as all of Chelsea, both Manchester teams, Arsenal, Liverpool etc etc. Not just one of those teams, all of them. 

So what would we have to do to meet that? Well, winning the PL once wouldn't count. I didn't mention Leicester and I bet you didn't notice. To become clearly 'bigger' than all of those teams, we would need to win the Champions League multiple times. 

It's a nonsense. That I'm even explaining this to you is ridiculous. It's like explaining why Abu Hamza isn't going to be the next Prime Minister. 

You have a bit of a dim view of the few optimists here when you think explaining why a known terrorist and all round ass hat isn't Prime Minister is as easy as saying Tony Xia's comments are pie in the sky.

Well played sir, a true Villan at heart!

11 minutes ago, Hoof hearted said:

You have a bit of a dim view of the few optimists here when you think explaining why a known terrorist and all round ass hat isn't Prime Minister is as easy as saying Tony Xia's comments are pie in the sky.

Well played sir, a true Villan at heart!

I certainly didn't mean to imply any moral equivalence, and I apologise if you've taken it that way, though I have to say I think that's a fairly tendentious reading. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

No, I'm just going to stop you there. It is not too early at all to draw conclusions about how realistic this target is. 

I think most people would agree that Barcelona and Real Madrid are the two biggest teams in the world, currently. So our owner has set as his target, being unambiguously bigger (in some way) than Juventus, Bayern Munich, Atletico Madrid and PSG, as well as all of Chelsea, both Manchester teams, Arsenal, Liverpool etc etc. Not just one of those teams, all of them. 

So what would we have to do to meet that? Well, winning the PL once wouldn't count. I didn't mention Leicester and I bet you didn't notice. To become clearly 'bigger' than all of those teams, we would need to win the Champions League multiple times. 

It's a nonsense. That I'm even explaining this to you is ridiculous. It's like explaining why Abu Hamza isn't going to be the next Prime Minister. 

Would we need to win the CL multiple times? The guy who started posting on here after Tony took over, Deisler I think it was, suggested that a lot of Chinese people would have an alliegence to Villa if we had a Chinese player in the team.

I think Tony said something along the lines of maybe top 3 in the world inside 10 years. He didn't say top 3 by Domestic or European titles won. If he means top 3 by fanbase, then I would think cornering the market for talent in both China and India could well send us that way without the need to win the CL each season.

11 minutes ago, useless said:

I don't think Xia ever said that three or four would be leaving by the end of the week. Similar with being one of the top three clubs in the world, he might have said it's an ambition, but I don't think he said it's definitely going to happen.

Yes, Xia said '3-4 be informed next week to farewell the old days'. So it's one thing being told you are going to leave and another actually leaving. 

4 minutes ago, useless said:

Xia seemed to have won a few people over and then there seemed to be sudden spike in negativity that coincided with the news of the Wolves takeover.

or the fact that were not signing as many players as we thought we would. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Richard said:

No I am challenging the view that it is too early to discuss,  or that because we are only 6 or so weeks in some of the questioning is out of order,  which seemed to be the point being made?

Is anyone saying its too early to discuss? I'm only seeing people say its too early to judge, which it is.

I'm disappointed that we haven't signed more players, as well. If we'd have done the business that we've done so far, under Lerner there would probably have been something of a meltdown. But some of the negativity that I mentioned directly references the Wolves takeover, so I think some of it does have to do with that.

Â