Relegation thread 2016/17

GingerCollins29

13 minutes ago, GENTLEMAN said:

It is far too early to make predictions, we will learn a lot more in the next few weeks. I think we are only missing a proven goal scorer to have a squad worthy of being in the top 6. It is obvious the media want us to fail further, but I think we will have the last laugh.  UTV

We are missing a lot more than a proven goalscorer, Gentleman. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Not his biggest fan, but agree with what he's saying.

I'd be surprised if we finish higher than 12th with our current squad. We simply won't score enough goals. 

Teams at the top tend to score between 70-100 goals. As it stands we wouldn't even score 40. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

bristol city 10th and us 16th? 

This pretty much sums up how pointless his predictions are at this stage. If we sign Kodjia off them then that's going to instantly change those particular predictions. Predicting the finishing positions of the league with a month of the transfer window left is pretty pointless.

I also think part of him predicting Villa to be way down the table is to generate interest in the article itself. In reality there's not much between a lot of teams in the league and therefore its pretty difficult to predict anyway. Teams like Leeds, Ipswich and Blues who he has up near the playoffs could easily finish bottom half and teams like us, Reading and Fulham could easily be playoff contenders even with the squads as they are now. 

If we continue to employ the same players who have a tendancy to gift goals to the opposition, and then capitulate then we are gong to find ourselves in the wrong half of the table. I would hope that the penny has dropped for RDM in that the defence needs tearing up and rebuilding, the majority have been here years and continue to make the same errors every week. We also need to find a decent couple of forwards who will cause problems to the opposition, as things currently stand we offer little threat to the opposition and are easy to defend against. The fact that us fans have known this for about 12+ months, makes me think that it must be blindingly obvious to any half decent manager, so hopefully RDM will start to make some serious moves in the transfer window soon otherwise my doubts about RDM will resurface.

Just now, Delphinho123 said:

We are missing a lot more than a proven goalscorer, Gentleman. 

We created a few decent chances against Boro - we would have scored a few more if we had a forward with better movement.  I think we may need another two players - a creative midfielder and another forward (RDM has said up to four new players - I imagine he will learn a lot about the players over the next few weeks). As things stand, I think this current squad is good enough for the top 10. 

4 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

He has two promotions from this league...

So why hasn't anyone touched him with a barge-pole? 

Says a lot when clubs are willing to go with untried and untested managers then him. 

It's his opinion, so fair enough but people should take it with a pinch of salt. 

FWIW, I think we'll have a tough start to the season, but we will find our feet and will be up there come the end of the season. 

45 minutes ago, useless said:

For the amount of hate Holloway receives from Villa fans, his opinion still seems to hold a lot of sway. Before this prediction of his I hardly saw anyone else suggesting that we'd finish in the bottom half, now suddenly a plethora of fans on social media, are suggesting precisely that.

Or perhaps he voiced an opinion held by many but one which few were willing to say due to the optimism surrounding the club and a perceived pressure from other, vocal, fans who think breaking the party line (positivity! promotion!) is tantamount to treason.

13 minutes ago, Jay.P.A said:

So why hasn't anyone touched him with a barge-pole? 

Says a lot when clubs are willing to go with untried and untested managers then him. 

It's his opinion, so fair enough but people should take it with a pinch of salt. 

FWIW, I think we'll have a tough start to the season, but we will find our feet and will be up there come the end of the season. 

It didn't work out for him at Millwall so maybe a combination of that and him working for TV for a bit and enjoying it like so many.

It's funny but if someone like Dean Saunders came out and said we'd win the league people would probably be lapping it up "Villa legend Deano says we're going to be fine" etc when he's been proven to be clueless at that level particularly with Wolves.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Holloway has us down for 16th in his predictions. Top 4 are Newcastle, Brighton, Derby and Sheff Weds.

And before most of you mock him he has two promotions and one relegation from that league so I'd say he's a good predictor of teams chances.

Fair enough, but it's common knowledge he doesn't like us. I think we would have to be exceptionally shite to finish 16th, I believe if their were signs of anything close to this after the first quarter of the season RDM would be gone.

8 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Fair enough, but it's common knowledge he doesn't like us. I think we would have to be exceptionally shite to finish 16th, I believe if their were signs of anything close to this after the first quarter of the season RDM would be gone.

And Bruce can save the season.

16th is probably too low , but currently I don't see a top half finish  .. unless RDM is a better manager than I give him credit for and he can do amazing things with average and below average players .

We still need 5 or 6 new players , that we don't already have them with the season close to kicking off is  a big worry , when Gaye goes our net spend will be close to £5 m ?  still time to spend the £30m of course :rolleyes: , but we should have done it much sooner to allow for a pre-season

• Like 1

Â