Relegation thread 2016/17

GingerCollins29

Oh Christ, the "funds were made available for Garde" line. 

Very limited funds were made available and we missed out on several targets due to insufficient funding. £4m won't get us out of the championship. 

Sell who and for what? We could sell our 5 best players and barely scrape £25m. 

£4m is funds, whether you like it or not.

Sell who for what? If we manage to employ somebody half decent in a footballing position this summer, I would hope we could get around £8m for Ayew, £2m for Cissokho, £500k for Guzan, £3m for Richards, £1m for Lescott, £8m for Gana, £6m for Adama, £500k for Bacuna, £3m for Okore, £500k for Sinclair and £1m for Gabby. (Cue the 'we won't get that much!!!111' posts because we're little old Villa and we must sell all of our contracted players for cheap because we like to roll over to have our bellies tickled).

If that managed to happen, we'd have around £35m including the January money. Bring in Joey Barton on a free (with much disapproval), and you've then got £35m to spend on the other 5 players we need. Easy. We'll be back up in no time.

Just another note to point out that only Derby and Boro spent more than £10m last summer in the Championship.

Yes we need a lot of players, but it doesn't take much money down there to be big spenders.

I would also like to add that Brighton are one of the top sides in their league and one of their best players is...steve sidwell. Thats the level we are going to and people think we are going to get relegated again??

15 hours ago, Mantis said:

I doubt he'll have much direct influence, presuming there's no takeover.

Our new "football board" just quit because of him. How much more evidence is necessary to prove that he remains in control? He can't be anything but, it's just not in his nature. 

His influence is terrifying. Pull your head out of the sand, before it's too late. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Rob182 said:

£4m is funds, whether you like it or not.

Sell who for what? If we manage to employ somebody half decent in a footballing position this summer, I would hope we could get around £8m for Ayew, £2m for Cissokho, £500k for Guzan, £3m for Richards, £1m for Lescott, £8m for Gana, £6m for Adama, £500k for Bacuna, £3m for Okore, £500k for Sinclair and £1m for Gabby. (Cue the 'we won't get that much!!!111' posts because we're little old Villa and we must sell all of our contracted players for cheap because we like to roll over to have our bellies tickled).

If that managed to happen, we'd have around £35m including the January money. Bring in Joey Barton on a free (with much disapproval), and you've then got £35m to spend on the other 5 players we need. Easy. We'll be back up in no time.

Who are we employing to carry out this miracle work? 

23 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I would also like to add that Brighton are one of the top sides in their league and one of their best players is...steve sidwell. Thats the level we are going to and people think we are going to get relegated again??

As you have highlighted Steve Sidwell I would say as a collective the midfield we have now is the worst I can remember. It is lightweight, it gets over ran, it doesn't protect the defence, it doesn't create, it has hardly got a goal in it.

You add into that we have a diabolical defence, that you could take the best attributes of all our senior keepers and you still wouldn't make a decent keeper from the three of them, and that aside from Ayew, who will almost certainly piss off, we have a poor group of forwards, then I think it is safe to assume we have a huge rebuilding job to do if we are to compete in the Championship and not face another season of struggle.

In fairness this isn't just down to ability. This is also about the majority of our players lacking a heart and a pair of balls. When the going gets tough we have way too many who go missing. The Championship isn't blessed with ability but it does have a number of teams full of players who will give nothing less than 100%.

The way I look at is had this squad played in the Championship this season and with anything like the same attitude they played in the Prem then I believe it would  have struggled. We took 17 points FFS and three times that amount in the Championship would have seen you only finish 20th.

There is a massive job to be done over the summer and the sooner we get a decent manager who can begin that process the better.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

As you have highlighted Steve Sidwell I would say as a collective the midfield we have now is the worst I can remember. It is lightweight, it gets over ran, it doesn't protect the defence, it doesn't create, it has hardly got a goal in it.

You add into that we have a diabolical defence, that you could take the best attributes of all our senior keepers and you still wouldn't make a decent keeper from the three of them, and that aside from Ayew, who will almost certainly piss off, we have a poor group of forwards, then I think it is safe to assume we have a huge rebuilding job to do if we are to compete in the Championship and not face another season of struggle.

In fairness this isn't just down to ability. This is also about the majority of our players lacking a heart and a pair of balls. When the going gets tough we have way too many who go missing. The Championship isn't blessed with ability but it does have a number of teams full of players who will give nothing less than 100%.

The way I look at is had this squad played in the Championship this season and with anything like the same attitude they played in the Prem then I believe it would  have struggled. We took 17 points FFS and three times that amount in the Championship would have seen you only finish 20th.

There is a massive job to be done over the summer and the sooner we get a decent manager who can begin that process the better.

I agree with a majority of that, but I think poor management didnt help either and either lerner giving up on staying up when he didnt back remi so they gave up too (no excuse of course) but i fail to believe this current squad would get relegated again. it might not be good enough for top 6 granted but to be relegated again? Not for me

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Our new "football board" just quit because of him. How much more evidence is necessary to prove that he remains in control? He can't be anything but, it's just not in his nature. 

His influence is terrifying. Pull your head out of the sand, before it's too late. 

If there's no takeover I expect more people will be recruited - that was my point.

Oh cut the "pull your head out of the sand" BS. Just because I'm keeping my mind open about what might happen doesn't mean I don't accept how bad Lerner's been for the club.

5 minutes ago, Mantis said:

If there's no takeover I expect more people will be recruited - that was my point.

Oh cut the "pull your head out of the sand" BS. Just because I'm keeping my mind open about what might happen doesn't mean I don't accept how bad Lerner's been for the club.

Who will want to come? Serious question. We hit the jackpot with Bernstein, as good an appointment as we could possibly hoped to have made. 

Who in their right mind would want to work for Lerner after that shitstorm? 

And yes, apologies. That was below the belt. I'm frustrated because I do genuinely believe we are still sleepwalking into the abyss. 

2 minutes ago, Richard said:

By who

Hollis presumably

3 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Who will want to come? Serious question. We hit the jackpot with Bernstein, as good an appointment as we could possibly hoped to have made. 

Who in their right mind would want to work for Lerner after that shitstorm? 

And yes, apologies. That was below the belt. I'm frustrated because I do genuinely believe we are still sleepwalking into the abyss. 

I don't know but I think it's pretty hard to speculate either way at this stage. That's all I'm saying. I've always said that it's pointless trying to gauge how we'll do next season without seeing how the summer goes.

Well, Hollis is still here, he hired the football board originally, I don't see why he wouldn't do it again?

Obviously if a takeover fails then Lerner's position changes a bit too, in the sense that football decisions will have to be made by AVFC, not by potential new owners (because there wouldn't be any).

I'm sure there are plenty of people who work within football who would like a job at trying to sort out Villa. If you get it right then you'll look like a miracle worker. 

I'm just looking at the facts. 

Club for sale, absentee owner who has proved impossible to work for, job cuts, stand closures (assumption - financial cuts), broken squad, managerless, vision-less, rudderless. We are, without doubt, an absolute **** shambles. 

These 'miracle workers' won't be looking and thinking "I can't lose here", they'll be looking at what has happened to Fox, Bernstein, Faulkner, countless managers, employees at all levels, players too and thinking "I can't win here". Not under Lerner. Everybody loses. 

There is over a decades worth of evidence, even longer if you look at the Browns, to show that Randy Lerner can only and will only fail. Miserably. 

Look at what happened with Bernstein and King. It's no surprise that as soon as Krulak came on board emails between the two are being leaked to Lerner. Nobody worth their salt would want to work under those conditions and as they both rightly alluded to, we need a sale and we need it fast. Or we are going nowhere but down. Again.

Edit - I should have said "facts as I see them"

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Richard said:

Hollis appointed Bernstein and King.  A month later they left after a chat with Lerner

It's pretty apparent that the reason why they left was takeover linked, more importantly, Randy refusing to let them do their jobs whilst a takeover is in progress. I don't think that's particularly unreasonable of Randy to be honest. Had there been no takeover in progress, i'm absolutely certain that Bernstein and King would still be at the club and we would have hired a manager by now. 

Now assuming a takeover falls through, any potential football board would have the freedom to go get a manager and make changes. I don't see Randy holding them back from doing that if there's no serious takeover negotiations in place. Maybe you do? That's where our opinion could differ.

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I'm just looking at the facts. 

Club for sale, absentee owner who has proved impossible to work for, job cuts, stand closures (assumption - financial cuts), broken squad, managerless, vision-less, rudderless. We are, without doubt, an absolute **** shambles. 

These 'miracle workers' won't be looking and thinking "I can't lose here", they'll be looking at what has happened to Fox, Bernstein, Faulkner, countless managers, employees at all levels, players too and thinking "I can't win here". Not under Lerner. Everybody loses. 

There is over a decades worth of evidence, even longer if you look at the Browns, to show that Randy Lerner can only and will only fail. Miserably. 

Look at what happened with Bernstein and King. It's no surprise that as soon as Krulak came on board emails between the two are being leaked to Lerner. Nobody worth their salt would want to work under those conditions and as they both rightly alluded to, we need a sale and we need it fast. Or we are going nowhere but down. Again.

Edit - I should have said "facts as I see them"

Has Randy proved to be impossible to work for? He let Tom Fox do whatever he thought was best resulting in us being relegated. From Fox's point of view, i'd hardly say Randy was impossible to work with at all. 

At the end of the day, it will be a job and a pretty well paid one at that. If you really think there would be no people interested in being on a football board of AVFC  then that's fair enough, but I have to disagree. As for the e-mails being leaked to Lerner, I can only assume what was said on those e-mails was pretty damming towards Lerner, their boss, it's not exactly a bright thing for your "football board" to be doing is it?  It's not like Krulak was "spying" on them, what was said was obviously incredibly unprofessional and they shouldn't have been sending e-mails like that anyway. So I don't really know how that's Lerner's fault too. 

Don't get me wrong, I think Lerner is a prize pillock and I cant wait for him to leave the club. But we're not in some unrecoverable mess just yet. People will want to work at Aston Villa, managers will want to manage here, players will want to play here. Regardless if a takeover does or doesn't happen, people will be coming to work at Aston Villa and it only takes a half decent manager to start putting things right. 

Edited by PieFacE

3 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

You can't be basing that on anything but a hunch though Dem. Certainly not on ability. They're easily shit enough. 

I just think as a collective group they are shit. get rid of the bad seeds like crappy, lescott, bacuna and that tub of lard richards and replace them with some battlers with championship experience and I think you will see players that have talent. Look at grealish for example he has been shit this season and his stats have been poor. But we know he has ability and can do a whole lot better. I think the same with some of these players if they were in a team of winners not losers and players that dont give  a shit like bacuna, crappy and lescott

Edited by Demitri_C

1 hour ago, Richard said:

Hollis appointed Bernstein and King.  A month later they left after a chat with Lerner

So true

I don't see how anyone can have faith in RL doing anything good for AVFC. The best thing he can do is sell us and the D*mbF**k cant even do that

Â