Relegation thread 2016/17

GingerCollins29

25 minutes ago, Mantis said:

You can argue all you want that we wont get promoted (and there's a strong case for that right now) but we absolutely will not go down this season. I'm sorry but it's pure fantasy to think there's even a decent chance of it.

Let's hope so.

To do so, we'll need to start being able to win games of football.

The fundamentals are there...we are a good team in this league. 

Once these settle we will start to hammer teams; Maybe not soon enough to gain promotion, but sure as anything we wont be anywhere near the bottom.

4 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

But we don't win games that's the problem

Yet... We average like 16 shots on goal per game, we should have scored 5 or 6 again today.

Yes I know it's more could'a, would'a, should'a but we hit the bar, had two goals basically cleared on the line, headers narrowly missed.. This is happening every game right now.

If they went in we would be top scorers in the league by like 20 goals already, but they aren't and I would say "we need to be more clinical" but many of our shots have been on-target they just aren't going in.

We will start winning I just hope it's sooner rather than later.. We have everything we need just not luck right now.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Pilchard said:

Let's hope so.

To do so, we'll need to start being able to win games of football.

We have already won one though and with the way we've been playing should've won loads more.

It's just tenuous reasoning to think that because we've played 6 games so far and only won one of them that means we could be in a relegation battle when when you look at how we've actually been playing it's clear that we're not going to be. Even now we're 2 points clear and that's with getting results that we've clearly not deserved.

I mean, we won 3 out of our opening 4 games in 2014/15 and that didn't stop us almost going down.

Edited by Mantis

38 minutes ago, Mantis said:

We have already won one though and with the way we've been playing should've won loads more.

It's just tenuous reasoning to think that because we've played 6 games so far and only won one of them that means we could be in a relegation battle

We've won one game? Oh, that's ok then.

All I'm saying is that to stay up we need to win football games. And that, for whatever reason, isn't happening. And the longer that continues to go on, then the more likely we will be relegated is. To dismiss it as some people here have done is no different to anyone saying we are going to get relegated.

This football team finds it very, very tricky to win football games. Until that is sorted we will find ourselves in another relegation battle. I'm not sure how anyone could disagree with that. Though I'm sure some will.

1 minute ago, Pilchard said:

We've won one game? Oh, that's ok then.

All I'm saying is that to stay up we need to win football games. And that, for whatever reason, isn't happening. And the longer that continues to go on, then the more likely we will be relegated is. To dismiss it as some people here have done is no different to anyone saying we are going to get relegated.

This football team finds it very, very tricky to win football games. Until that is sorted we will find ourselves in another relegation battle. I'm not sure how anyone could disagree with that. Though I'm sure some will.

Where did I say that? You completely missed the point.

Of course we need to win games but it's pretty clear that the wins will come based on how we're playing, at least enough wins to keep us up comfortably anyway.

I'm not saying "if we go through the season hardly winning we won't be in a relegation battle". What I am saying is that it's highly unlikely that will happen because of the way we consistently dominate teams and create loads of chances.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mantis said:

What I am saying is that it's highly unlikely that will happen because of the way we consistently dominate teams and create loads of chances.

Dominating games is all well and good if you can keep the rare chances out at the other end. Which we can't do on account of having a goalkeeper not good enough and a back up who I think must have let in every shot on target in the past few games he's played.

Let's hope that 'highly unlikely' means it doesn't happen. Because we've had a lot of 'highly unlikely' things happen to us over the past few years. But while we continue to be unable to win games then it will fast become 'likely'. 

We're scoring a point a game even now. You have to go back to 2012/13 to find a season when that wasn't good enough to stay up. In other words, we'd have to get worse than we are currently to be in danger. 

Once again, we're still unbeaten at home. This is not a characteristic of relegated teams. 

7 minutes ago, Pilchard said:

Dominating games is all well and good if you can keep the rare chances out at the other end. Which we can't do on account of having a goalkeeper not good enough and a back up who I think must have let in every shot on target in the past few games he's played.

Let's hope that 'highly unlikely' means it doesn't happen. Because we've had a lot of 'highly unlikely' things happen to us over the past few years. But while we continue to be unable to win games then it will fast become 'likely'. 

I think it's a little early to be writing off Gollini as "not good enough". And yes there have been a few games where the opposition have scored from few chances but that happens sometimes. This is also a totally new defence so obviously they need time to gel.

I just think certain people are over-reacting massively.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

There is literally zero chance we go down. Sticky me, save my quote, whatever people do for if we do go down.

But yeah, I can state pretty much with 100% certainty that we won't.

There were a fair few people saying that last season, too. And saying things like it was an impossibility that we would score fewer goals last season than we did the season before.

Whilst you're most likely correct that we won't go down, you cannot state 'with 100% certainty' that we won't go down or that there is 'literally zero chance' we go down.

For what it's worth, I don't think we'll go anywhere near 'going down' - just stop saying there is 'zero chance' of something which is still a possibility.

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

There is literally zero chance we go down.

That's not actually true, you do know that?

The teams that can't win football games get relegated.

At the moment, Aston Villa can't win football games.

Edited by Pilchard

20 minutes ago, Pilchard said:

That's not actually true, you do know that?

The teams that can't win football games get relegated.

At the moment, Aston Villa can't win football games.

This is statistically wrong.

We have a point a game. If we don't improve AT ALL, we'll have 46 points which is more than enough to stay up.

We're not going down.

Â