Promotion 2016/7

Jareth

Not going to happen next season.  I'd be amazed if we are in the mix for play offs to be honest based on the press conference in china and the business we have not done so far

• Like 1

yeah I think we will struggle for play-offs this season at moment. Norwich, Derby and Newcastle all have stronger squads  and if we are lucky we are probably on level of the chasing teams like Ipswich, Cardiff, Sheffield Wednesday, Brighton and few others

8 minutes ago, Zatman said:

yeah I think we will struggle for play-offs this season at moment. Norwich, Derby and Newcastle all have stronger squads  and if we are lucky we are probably on level of the chasing teams like Ipswich, Cardiff, Sheffield Wednesday, Brighton and few others

I think we've already got a better squad than any of Ipswich, Cardiff, Sheff Wed and Brighton.

Derby are more settled but never seem to pull it together.  Standing still, we should be looking to challenge for a playoff spot IMO.

I don't think we can compare this squad with their performances last season. There was no impetus from above. No motivation (although they should have been motivated regardless). I'm interested to see who responds the most to the new regime.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, gaffmaster said:

We have six competitive games to play before the window closes, so there's plenty of time to assess the squad in the theatre of war.

I thought you'd been made redundant Krulak?

8 minutes ago, gaffmaster said:

I don't think we can compare this squad with their performances last season. There was no impetus from above. No motivation (although they should have been motivated regardless). I'm interested to see who responds the most to the new regime.

I agree with this except I still think we are lacking the right "impetus from above". I like Xia but am underwhelmed with Di Matteo. I don't see him as a manager  capable of bringing out the best in an underperforming squad. 

Think people are getting a little worried a little too early. In the first 4 years of Lerner being here, where he invested a bit - these were the summer signings made before and after July 19th (today).

06/07
Before - 
After - Petrov

07/08
Before - Reo-Coker, Harewood
After - Knight

08/09
Before - Davies, Sidwell
After - Friedel, Guzan, Shorey, L.Young, Cuellar, Milner

09/10
Before -  Downing (16th July)
After - Delph, Beye, Collins, Warnock, Dunne

We've already made more first team signings up until this date (3: Elphick, Gollini, Tshibola) than we had in any of the early Lerner years. The Euros only just finished last week and it's often the big clubs making moves that start to get the ball rolling.

I watched some of the playoff games last season. The quality wasn't great but it was better than the Villa we watched last season. We haven't improved the team much yet. Im not worried cause the Championship is a marathon and if we do the right stuff on the last day of the transfer window that will help us in the end. I am feeling restless though, I want more positive things to happen. This waiting is unbearable. 

Well sports fans, 6 weeks today and the window will be slamming shut on our fingers. 

Better start thinking about pulling them out ehh? 

As things stand, staying in the division should be the priority! 

13 minutes ago, Kingman said:

Well sports fans, 6 weeks today and the window will be slamming shut on our fingers. 

Seriously?

22 minutes ago, Kingman said:

No, not staying in the division should be the priority.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Gary Thomas said:

We were relegated many months ago with one of the worst premier league teams in history. We have some decent players and better coaching staff, but that is a fact.  We have heard endless talk of culls, transformation and big ambition, yet here we are with the same squad (less 2 fringe players and a three 'decent' additions) and 18 or so days to the championship kicks off.  I understand that get RDM wants to be patient and make good decisions and I get these things are always protracted and complex, but I will feel far more confident when we actually see some of this business we keep talking about actually happening, or even looking likely! 

Gary your optimism seems to be waning slightly mate.

I think it was always a big ask to have a squad assembled by September 1st capable of promotion next season and a huge one to think that would be the case by the time the season kicked off.

Given what Di Matteo inherited I personally think it is asking too much to think that can be put right with in one transfer window and we can turn around a squad that not just went down but went down with zero fight and turn it into one capable of getting promoted.  A new season unfortunately doesn’t instantly wipe away what went before and this squad is poor. Perhaps not ability wise as bad as last season suggested but when you combine that with a lack of desire and a losing mentality then it does need a major overhaul and that takes time.

It is not what any of us want but I do think we are going to have to be patient.  There is so much for RDM to do. He has had to come in and access the squad, decide who needs to go, what areas need improving, will have to instil a playing style and then get a squad to gel that even now I would expect by the close of the window will have at least half a dozen new players in it.

Whilst not accepting that promotion is totally out of the question I do think it is asking a lot.

Edited by markavfc40

32 minutes ago, Kingman said:

Staying in the division? Did you watch any championship games last season? Our youth sides could probably stay clear of relegation.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Gary your optimism seems to be waning slightly mate.

I think it was always a big ask to have a squad assembled by September 1st capable of promotion next season and a huge one to think that would be the case by the time the season kicked off.

Given what Di Matteo inherited I personally think it is asking too much to think that can be put right with in one transfer window and we can turn around a squad that not just went down but went down with zero fight and turn it into one capable of getting promoted.  A new season unfortunately doesn’t instantly wipe away what went before and this squad is poor. Perhaps not ability wise as bad as last season suggested but when you combine that with a lack of desire and a losing mentality then it does need a major overhaul and that takes time.

It is not what any of us want but I do think we are going to have to be patient.  There is so much for RDM to do. He has had to come in and access the squad, decide who needs to go, what areas need improving, will have to instil a playing style and then get a squad to gel that even now I would expect by the close of the window will have at least half a dozen new players in it.

Whilst not accepting that promotion is totally out of the question I do think it is asking a lot.

I agree with the tone of this but would like to add that so far I am pleased with the progress. I'm happy with the players we have signed, I'm happy that the manager has taken his time to assess the squad and is looking to move a load of them on as hoped. I feel as though RDM above all else understands the task in hand and whilst the club are being ambitious with their wording there is now an air of professionalism that just wasn't there previous. 

I think we might make the playoffs. I don't think that is asking a "lot". Automatic promotion will be beyond us though and I'm fine with that, assuming there is continued progress and consistency. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.

Maybe the hard reality of the task at hand is finally kicking in.

Its obvious to us as fans who have observed our demise, but even if RDM & Dr X are at one with what needs to be done, its still not 100% in their hands.

The Zog & Richardson have gone

Ideally we need Gabby Bacuna & Lescott out for attitude reasons.

Guzan Hutton & Sinclair for just not being good enough.

That would leave us with an unbalanced but troublefree squad to go on with.

We've added a GK CB & DM and have regained some CH experience with Gardner, Baker & Bennet

The unknowns from our youth team, Lyden, HRM, Green and fee others.

IMHO thats enough for midtable, who we bring in now to gain a few places and in Jan to make a final push for 3-6th is a plan worth going by.

What we dont know is if all the above can be negotiated and indeed comes off.

Dr X & RDM really do have a monumental task on their hands.

How difficult it is for them to get in/out who they want is something they are confronted with as they go on.

I hope for the best but also wary of the turnaround they must undertake.

Â