Promotion 2016/7

Jareth

Talking about past teams is irrelevant. However, looking at our current squad and ownership circumstances make it far more likely than you are making out, in my opinion. We are a **** mess and to suggest anything else is the stuff of fantasy. 

To suggest we will have the same squad next season is also fantasy

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

All this 'we'll be people's number one target' stuff seems like nonsense to me. I mean, don't get me wrong, if we don't change owner I think we'll struggle massively next season. Currently our board consists of a moron, an oaf and a cheapskate, that doesn't sound like a winning combination. But we'll lose those matches because we're crap, not because other teams 'raised their game' in some way. All SHA could possibly care about is beating us, and lo and behold they failed to do so, even in a season when we lost 95% of our matches. 

I agree. its ridiculous. If sunderland/ newcastle come down will be the same for them. Midlands teams perhaps like blosers, wolves and forest of course but bring them on. I am hopeful a takeover will happen and then its a completely different ball game

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

All this 'we'll be people's number one target' stuff seems like nonsense to me.

I actually think it's valid. We're the biggest club to get relegated from the Premier League, and for that reason among many others, Villa will be every other team's big prize, including Sunderland.

Guest av1
2 hours ago, Richard said:

I believe us playing in the championship will be like a police man going in prison, all the inmates will want to kill him

At least a prisoner has a release date to look forward to. Until Lerner leaves its more like Death row. 

15 minutes ago, maqroll said:

I actually think it's valid. We're the biggest club to get relegated from the Premier League, and for that reason among many others, Villa will be every other team's big prize, including Sunderland.

Don't you have to look even a little bit good for that to happen?

I think a new relegation thread is much more what we'll need to be using

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Just like Newcastle were when they won the league straight after going down - getting over 100 points in the process.  Being a scalp doesn't mean shit.

• Like 1

Just now, bobzy said:

Just like Newcastle were when they won the league straight after going down - getting over 100 points in the process.  Being a scalp doesn't mean shit.

Newcastle kept their decent players got a few decent pro's in and importantly a solid manager in Houghton who got them straight back up.

Our advantage over previous relegated teams is we will lose cash but not in a sense we will be facing stripping the whole squad to stay afloat.What we need now is a quick resolution to the take over or / and appointment of a manager.We need a solid pre season and hopefully some favourable early fixtures to get us back to winning and stop the losing momentum   

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

You say that, but we play a different team every week. We're not going to get to Rotherham in November with them thinking "well, we were excited to travel to Villa Park to try and take Aston Villa's scalp, but that was back in August. Not that bothered now". 

The novelty might wear off for YOU, but don't confuse your feelings with those of fans/players of other clubs. 

The one thing going for us in that respect however is that there are a fair few clubs down there who have recently been in the Premier League or whom aspire to who won't see us as a cup final in the slightest. QPR, Fulham, Hull, Cardiff. However, also be aware that the likes of Leeds and Forest, at least the supporters and thus the media hype surrounding those games, will also think blimey, a proper big club at last. Then we've got to play the scum, Wolves, Burton and possibly Walsall twice, to whom we are the biggest of the biggest scalp they could possibly imagine in their puny, wretched existence. 

Honestly mate, I get your need to try and find the positive. But in doing so you are missing reality. It's going to be tough and as things stand, impossible. So let's hope something drastic changes, soon. I came to the conclusion a while back that by living in denial, I was giving him the remit to carry on butchering us. 

Honestly, it will wear off. The fact that we've been so tremendously shit all season not to mention floating around the relegation zone for years has already lessened our stature amongst other fans. Of course we'll be a bigger target and as I said it'll probably be like when PL teams used to play Man United. But to suggest that every game will be like a cup game but even worse is pure fantasy. After a few weeks and months teams will have got used to us being there and while we'll still be a target it won't be to the extent some are suggesting.

Honestly, I'm not even being positive. I really wish people would stop with this BS. I wouldn't say I'm looking at next season very positively at all - most of the time I'm just trying to assess the most realistic option and often I've readily admitted that I have no **** clue what could happen because so many things could change between now and the beginning of the season. I've never once denied that things would be tough. Please find me one post where I've or implied things will be ok if Lerner is still here and the squad remains similar.

The problem here is that there are so many on here who see things through an ultra-negative viewpoint that anybody who tries to look at things on balance appears positive or optimistic even when they're not.

3 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

All this 'we'll be people's number one target' stuff seems like nonsense to me. I mean, don't get me wrong, if we don't change owner I think we'll struggle massively next season. Currently our board consists of a moron, an oaf and a cheapskate, that doesn't sound like a winning combination. But we'll lose those matches because we're crap, not because other teams 'raised their game' in some way. All SHA could possibly care about is beating us, and lo and behold they failed to do so, even in a season when we lost 95% of our matches. 

Exactly. 

Edited by Mantis

1 minute ago, Nabby said:

Newcastle kept their decent players got a few decent pro's in and importantly a solid manager in Houghton who got them straight back up.

Our advantage over previous relegated teams is we will lose cash but not in a sense we will be facing stripping the whole squad to stay afloat.What we need now is a quick resolution to the take over or / and appointment of a manager.We need a solid pre season and hopefully some favourable early fixtures to get us back to winning and stop the losing momentum   

It doesn't particularly matter what they do - the point is that being "number one target" (if any player actually thinks along those lines rather than just wanting to win every game?) didn't stop them winning the league.  They finished 23 points ahead of 3rd.  23 points!!

• Like 2

Agreed,  I think the number one target for everyone else just does not happen.  The last time we went down a mere few years earlier we were Champions of Europe and we still managed it.  It's not as if we are taking any big name players with us either,  we are a Derby or a QPR now in terms of club stature.  

@Mantis I don't think there is a valid, balanced and realistic opinion available that wouldn't be seen as negative. Maybe I'm missing something, but I cant see anything overtly positive about our club right now aside from "if Lerner goes". Oh, and the fans are great and I'm looking forward to finally going to Preston North End away.

So yes, I think anything positive (like talk of promotion) is at this stage entirely unrealistic. 

We NEED change now. The Championship is like quicksand, if you don't get out of it straight away you'll sink slowly and slowly into it.

With this clown in charge we'll continue to sink, of that I have no doubt.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

@Mantis I don't think there is a valid, balanced and realistic opinion available that wouldn't be seen as negative. Maybe I'm missing something, but I cant see anything overtly positive about our club right now aside from "if Lerner goes". Oh, and the fans are great and I'm looking forward to finally going to Preston North End away.

So yes, I think anything positive (like talk of promotion) is at this stage entirely unrealistic. 

At the same time though I think people saying promotion is out of the question are also being overly negative because the fact is we just don't know how the summer will go.

Also, my original point was that while we'll be a target, we won't be as big as a target as some are making out. That's not being positive, just realistic.

1 hour ago, maqroll said:

Well I don't, I think it's nonsense on stilts to be honest. 

What even is supposed to be the mechanism here? I think we can all agree that this has been our worst season in a very, very long time. I'm 29, and I've never seen a worse season. We've played lower league teams, in this terrible season, four times in cup competitions. Our record is won three, drawn one. So what does it matter? Were those teams trying really, really hard? Did it make the slightest bit of difference to the outcome? 

In summary, I question a] whether this dynamic even exists (when it seems to imply footballers aren't trying that hard in the other 90% of games they play), and b] whether it matters in the slightest even if it does exist. 

If we have a good team next season (I find this possibility very unlikely) then we'll win lots of matches. If we have the same shit team, we'll lose lots of matches. But it'll because we're good or we're shit, not because other people were trying really really hard

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Like 1

To see us getting promoted requires so many things to improve that it takes a big leap of faith to believe all those things can happen over the summer.

It is improbable but certainly far from impossible to be in a position to compete for promotion though. First though we will need an owner with the means, where with all, desire and ambition to give us any chance and we don’t currently have that. Without it we will have no chance.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, maqroll said:

I still can't believe we've actually been relegated. Missing out on the TV money is catastrophic if we don't find some sugar daddy to save us. Christ Almighty.

The drop in revenue will kill us, we don't break even with premiership tv money so unless we slash our outgoings massivley we are screwed. If this takeover doesnt come off we will drop like Man City and Leeds did.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Southampton, Leeds, Charlton, Blackpool, Wigan...

You might say "oh but we are bigger than those teams". That is an illusion, under Randy Lerner we are not. We never will be again for as long as he is around. 

Utterly ridiculous hyperbole - on the last 3 in particular - not even a fervent fan of Charlton, Wigan or the Donkey Lashers would claim they are level with or bigger than Villa as a club.

• Like 4

Â