Promotion 2016/7

Jareth

3 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I agree with this. The Championship is hard, but only because players and teams graft. The quality is not really there as it is in the Premiership

We have nobody that grafts and nobody with any quality.

We are in deep shit

A lot can happen between now and August. Also a lot can not happen. It could go either way. Best case we get a buyer willing to invest soon, recruit a new manager and bring in some solid, quality players to complement the ones we're keeping - the ones that have good attitudes. We stand a good chance of promotion if we get it right. 

Worst case? The sale doesn't materialise, we have no funds and we can't shift a lot of the dross in our squad. Even in this case we will raise money from transfers, my worry is that Lerner won't allow it to be spent on players.

Looking at Championship net spend, it's never much more than £10m. If we can get rid of the likes of Gabby, Richards, Lescott, Bacuna and Guzan and bring in some decent replacements then as long as everyone's pulling in the same direction, we still have a chance at going for it. We've got some very good youth talent. We've got players that have quality. We just need to make sure we're working as a team, together. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, KHV said:

We have nobody that grafts and nobody with any quality.

We are in deep shit

Agree with the graft part. this needs to change. But we have enough quality for the Championship. I mean Brighton will at the least be in the play offs, that team is poor.

5 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Let's be real, Lowton is one of the best fullbacks in that league and he's total shite. The standards are low down there.

true but Lowton is not a dickhead and puts in an effort unlike clearings in the woods in our squad

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Let's be real, Lowton is one of the best fullbacks in that league and he's total shite. The standards are low down there.

But he's probably better than any of our fullbacks.

The standards are low, I personally think you need pace down there as many of the defences are very slow so we need to keep some of our quick players like Adama and Amavi and sign a few more. We would score goals then.

It's all about mentality though, we couldn't put any old 11 out and think we'll win week in week out.

You don't have to win every week anyway.

46 games so 23 wins and 7-8 draws gets you 76 points and play offs. 10 more needed for automatic. 

The current team is comically unbalanced and poorly built.

Goalies are a joke.

Defense need a total rebuild.

Midfield is so unbalanced and lacking in creativity that it will never work. Add to that we have no wingers who are good at crossing the ball...

...meaning Gestede doesn't get to use his one good attribute in the box. Ayew Is left to do everything on his own, and he'll be off in the summer anyway.

Also don't have a manager (the one filling in now describes the dressing room as toxic) and a uncertain owner situation. 

A lot needs to change before we can expect to fight for promotion.

Guest av1
26 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

46 games so 23 wins and 7-8 draws gets you 76 points and play offs. 10 more needed for automatic. 

23 wins, in 1 season. 

130.gif

51 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

this thread is premature imo. can we at least wait until this dreadful season is over and wait for the summer to make an assessment? 

But when exactly do we talk about promotion? It's not a dirty word, it's our target, no matter how close to it we actually are.

Just now, Jareth said:

But when exactly do we talk about promotion? It's not a dirty word, it's our target, no matter how close to it we actually are.

I'm not calling it out as a dirty word and obviously it is our target. Actually, considering this season is dead and buried, why the hell not ^^. But until any there's any actual concrete news about a takeover we might as well open another relegation thread at this point in time. Just as relevant at this point in time.

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Entirely dependant on what happens this summer.

We COULD have a very good season. We COULD also completely balls it up.

At the moment I think most of us fear the latter more than it's actually likely. But we'll see.

Pretty much. Too many people seem to be willing to totally write off next season already, often under the assumption that things will stay exactly as they are right now with regards to the squad and ownership. It's absurd.

I'm not even going to make any predictions about next season at the moment because it's way too early.

2 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Agree with the graft part. this needs to change. But we have enough quality for the Championship. I mean Brighton will at the least be in the play offs, that team is poor.

LIke who?

4 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Pretty much. Too many people seem to be willing to totally write off next season already, often under the assumption that things will stay exactly as they are right now with regards to the squad and ownership. It's absurd.

I'm not even going to make any predictions about next season at the moment because it's way too early.

Until something actually, measurably, changes, people can only judge on what they see in front of them.

Zero chance of promotion at this stage and given the events of the last 6 years unless the club is sold relegation to League One is far more likely. IMO. 

Â