The 2016 Takeover Thread

Sam3773

9 minutes ago, maqroll said:

His youth and Western education are good things IMO...he seems to have a passion for football and will probably have a more nuanced base of knowledge of the sport than Lerner and his flunkies. He might even keep the Villa Park name if he's smart. High hopes, let's enjoy the honeymoon...

didnt Lerner get a passion for football while studying in the UK ;) 

46 minutes ago, Daweii said:

Seems like he's insinuating that there is more to Recon than meets the eye. Perhaps why we heard talk of the deal being game changing? Seems like Recon is a bit more of a shell corporation than a real one that has big Chinese government backing. 

Would be a win win. What better first step to show China as a world football power than to own a team who win the worlds highest ranked competitions. 

Teams in the Chinese league aren't going to play at the same level as top European clubs for a long long time. If the government want to push football forward the best way is immediate success.

This might be a blessing or a curse. We will probably get huge backing for the next few years... But if we don't get results there's the risk that the government will lose interest, and we lose funding.

We will no doubt get a handful of obscure Chinese signings, dodgy advertising deals, preseason tours of China and a lifetime supply of MSG. But as long as we get back to where we actually belong it could all be worthwhile. 

• Like 1

If he was worth that much, surely we'd be able to find out more about him. That's an obscene amount of money and would place him in the top 20 wealthiest people in the world.

Fortunately, he doesn't need to be that rich to drastically improve us.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

If he was worth that much, surely we'd be able to find out more about him. That's an obscene amount of money and would place him in the top 20 wealthiest people in the world.

Fortunately, he doesn't need to be that rich to drastically improve us.

It's likely that because he is so secretive like almost all business men in China it's just been impossible for Forbes and other sites to get his full worth. I mean only people like Wang Jianlin are less secretive but only because they are business mega stars due to the work they do. It's possible that this is the deal that puts Tony Xia on the rich list map, I mean I am sure China holds many people that would make the likes of Ellison look less impressive but it's a land of immense secrecy. 

Reading all this stuff makes me confident that not going straight back up won't be an option for the new owners, and they will spend accordingly.

Even if they are football mad over there, It's not like millions of people are all of a sudden going to start supporting a team stuck in the second tier, regardless of who owns them.

57 minutes ago, maltesemike said:

I'm currently on a 2 week work visit to China. This makes my visit all the more sweet. All this nonsense about China being this evil communist state with its people living in fear bla bla.. What a load of nonsense, fuelled by our own western propaganda. This is an open, forward thinking country with big ambitions and the money and manpower to fuel it. And it's one of the most capitalist societies I've come across. Yes they sensor some of the web, not ideal but if our governments could they would do the same. And it's argued that they have been filtering it already. China is what the US and EU would aim to be, two states smeared with more than fair share of sinful activities. Any ways, not to digress, but welcome to Dr Xia. The potential for us to now tap into this market can only be a big thing. Football is popular here and as has been posted already, they have ambitions to succeed. Our glory will be a vehicle for this in my opinion. UTV

Why don't you ask one of them to publicly condemn their government? 

• Like 4

Interesting that the announcement was made in the 18th hour on the 18th day of the month. 8 is considered lucky for Chinese, so I am hoping we dont have to wait until the 28th for the manager to be appointed.

Lerner's failings have made me feel pessimistic this morning. It's got me wondering why the Doctor hasn't said that he will return us to being a top four side, rather than saying he wants us to be a top six side again?

Maybe he's been advised not to set his sights too high by Lerner. If so, don't listen to him Doctor. Set your sights as high as possible!