The 2016 Takeover Thread

Sam3773

1 hour ago, lexicon said:

Why don't you ask one of them to publicly condemn their government? 

that's cool. I can ask that as soon as you ask a few people from Egypt, Libia, Syria or Afghanistan what they think of our British or American governments. Nothing is black or white.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Duck said:

Would be a win win. What better first step to show China as a world football power than to own a team who win the worlds highest ranked competitions. 

Teams in the Chinese league aren't going to play at the same level as top European clubs for a long long time. If the government want to push football forward the best way is immediate success.

This might be a blessing or a curse. We will probably get huge backing for the next few years... But if we don't get results there's the risk that the government will lose interest, and we lose funding.

We will no doubt get a handful of obscure Chinese signings, dodgy advertising deals, preseason tours of China and a lifetime supply of MSG. But as long as we get back to where we actually belong it could all be worthwhile. 

I wouldn't get too excited... If they were wanting success that quickly and  we're willing to spend they wouldn't have bought a club in the Championship. 

The Man City owners wouldn't have bought City if they were in the Championship. 

We have been bought as an investment, not for fun IMO. Don't expect anything other than mid table PL at best. 

• Like 1

Exciting times, obviously there is a lot more to this than just having money. Plenty have spent money and failed (to varying degree's). Hopefully he surrounds himself with people who know English football.

Edited by Genie
  • Like 1

Lerner's failings have made me feel pessimistic this morning. It's got me wondering why the Doctor hasn't said that he will return us to being a top four side, rather than saying he wants us to be a top six side again?

Maybe he's been advised not to set his sights too high by Lerner. If so, don't listen to him Doctor. Set your sights as high as possible! 

To be fair I don't think the Doc has said anything publicly on the issue just yet. So far as we know that top 6 statement came from Lerner saying this is what the Doc wants to do.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ponky said:

To be fair I don't think the Doc has said anything publicly on the issue just yet. So far as we know that top 6 statement came from Lerner saying this is what the Doc wants to do.

I was actually hoping he didn't talk about European Champions etc as its just completely unrealistic in the short or medium term. Even Man City and PSG with limitless money are struggling to get close to it.

An initial goal of top 6 is perfect as far as I am concerned, and we have a very long way to go to achieve that.

• Like 2

A couple of days ago we had Randy Leaner and only rumours to give us hope now we have Dr Tony and don't know what the future holds. I'm going to think positive at least until they appoint manager. Welcome Dr T I hope this is the start of making Villa competitive again. 

7 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Can I renew my season ticket now? 

Yes Sid and convince your mates to come along for the ride!  It is not going to be a walk in the park as some think but as long as we see we are going in the right direction I am happy to give the new owners time.

51 minutes ago, AstonMartin82 said:

We have been bought as an investment, not for fun IMO. Don't expect anything other than mid table PL at best. 

I would snap your wrist, arm and shoulder blade off right now in one big omnomming bite for that.

34 minutes ago, Genie said:

I was actually hoping he didn't talk about European Champions etc as its just completely unrealistic in the short or medium term. Even Man City and PSG with limitless money are struggling to get close to it.

An initial goal of top 6 is perfect as far as I am concerned, and we have a very long way to go to achieve that.

Not only that, but it's what we are. A top 6 club. Restoring us to that and winning the odd trophy, usually in glorious fashion, is all any of us want really isn't it? We want our Villa back.

Had to pinch myself this morning! 

• Like 2