The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

2 hours ago, tinker said:

We are leaving without a deal, she will never get this through parliament. Stock up your cupboards and buy gold are my top tips .

Leaving won't happen. The elite won't want to lose their power and ways to sneak money out of the country via their European colleagues. All this messing around is just part of the ply to fail what the majority of voters in the referendum asked for. 

The way it's all going it wouldn't surprise me if the Queen jacked it all in, gave Charlie the reigns and her last act as custodian to be the dissolvement of parliament. 

I'm starting to imagine Theresa May as an heroic figure. Sacrificing herself daily in full view of the public, her reputation, her job, her health, her sanity - pushing this bad Brexit plan at her party with a dogged unending determination, like a parent that's caught a twelve year old with a cigarette and is making him smoke a whole packet. She looks exhausted, no longer able to do more than repeat a phrase that once meant something to her over and over again, a hollow echo of what she was. She know's that this deal is unpalatable, that it's an awful deal, she knows because she knows there are no good deals, that it's not possible to get out of this in a way that can rescue the country - the only way out is not getting out, so she's pushing a plan so bad that she's forcing the party into accepting the truth - shining a light on Brexit as a bad idea through its manifestation as a terrible plan, she's ending her own public life in a desperate attempt to save us. And what do we do? We hound her, we laugh, we mock; because we have to, it's our only buttress against it, because we have to chase her,  because she's the hero Britain deserves, but not the one it needs right now, so we'll hunt her, because she can take it, because she's not a hero, she's a silent guardian, a watchful protector, a dark knight.

I may have watched too much TV today.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

She certainly won't on the first occasion, but I'm now wondering about a TARP-style 'passes on the second vote after an absolute meltdown in the financial markets' scenario. 

The Sun (paragon of truth), just floated a national unity government trial balloon.

Technocrats to the rescue!

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

I'm starting to imagine Theresa May as an heroic figure. Sacrificing herself daily in full view of the public, her reputation, her job, her health, her sanity - pushing this bad Brexit plan at her party with a dogged unending determination, like a parent that's caught a twelve year old with a cigarette and is making him smoke a whole packet. She looks exhausted, no longer able to do more than repeat a phrase that once meant something to her over and over again, a hollow echo of what she was. She know's that this deal is unpalatable, that it's an awful deal, she knows because she knows there are no good deals, that it's not possible to get out of this in a way that can rescue the country - the only way out is not getting out, so she's pushing a plan so bad that she's forcing the party into accepting the truth - shining a light on Brexit as a bad idea through its manifestation as a terrible plan, she's ending her own public life in a desperate attempt to save us. And what do we do? We hound her, we laugh, we mock; because we have to, it's our only buttress against it, because we have to chase her,  because she's the hero Britain deserves, but not the one it needs right now, so we'll hunt her, because she can take it, because she's not a hero, she's a silent guardian, a watchful protector, a dark knight.

Interestingly enough this is roughly what the political commentary was making of things here in Australia today. 

Essentially that May had an up hill battle from the start, doing a thankless task with no obvious solutions and it is to her credit that she is trying to see it through rather than squealing and running away like a number of her ministers. 

Personally I think the uphill battle was of her own making because she triggered article 50 and gave herself a 2 year deadline before having any idea what the UK was aiming for. 

There should have been cross party consultation on what sort of Brexit deal the UK wanted (Norway, Switzerland, Canada etc) and then once some sort of majority was found (even with a follow up ‘People’s vote if required) she could have triggered the clock and used the 2 years to try and improve on that preferred outcome.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Therese_01October.jpg

6 hours ago, LondonLax said:

Interestingly enough this is roughly what the political commentary was making of things here in Australia today. 

Essentially that May had an up hill battle from the start, doing a thankless task with no obvious solutions and it is to her credit that she is trying to see it through rather than squealing and running away like a number of her ministers. 

Personally I think the uphill battle was of her own making because she triggered article 50 and gave herself a 2 year deadline before having any idea what the UK was aiming for. 

There should have been cross party consultation on what sort of Brexit deal the UK wanted (Norway, Switzerland, Canada etc) and then once some sort of majority was found (even with a follow up ‘People’s vote if required) she could have triggered the clock and used the 2 years to try and improve on that preferred outcome.

Nobody asked her to do it.  She so desperately wanted to be leader that she was prepared to take it on, despite the fact that she'd campaigned vigorously for Remain.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Risso said:

Nobody asked her to do it.  She so desperately wanted to be leader that she was prepared to take it on, despite the fact that she'd campaigned half-heartedlyfor Remain.

FTFY (she went missing for almost the whole campaign, her eye was already fixed on the possible prize and wanted to be disassociated with Cameron et al)

Though I completely agree that she asked for it

• Like 2

7 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

And you may have ignored the rest of Theresa May's political career, the kinds of people that she surrounds and surrounded herself herself with (Nick Timothy, James Slack, &c.), the comments about how she and her inner circle blocked out all dissenting opinion on Brexit from Downing Street over the past couple of years and that she is an inveterate liar.

I congratulate you on your imagination but none of us in days like these should lose sight of Theresa May being the nasty, lying politician responsible for the hostile environment, calling a general election solely because she thought it would shore up her position in Downing Street and give her more ability to ignore Parliament,  and is in charge of a government that is continuing to press ahead with Universal Credit (against considerable advice even allowing for a bit of tinkering).

• Like 2

snowychap,  For clarity, I don't actually think of her heroically - I think she's appalling both in her views and in her ability as a politician. I just liked the strange idea that she's secretly driving us toward Remain by shining a light on how bad an idea Brexit really is.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, villakram said:

The Sun (paragon of truth), just floated a national unity government trial balloon.

I'm sure I said this the last time it was mooted, but what the hell. How would it help?

Ditch a third of the current cabinet and replace them with Corbyn, McDonnell, Abbott, Thornberry, Cable, Robertson, Williams, Dodds and Starmer.

Has a path through the woods opened up? Is there now consensus on what we need to do?

Unity Governments are pretty sensible if you have a common goal with a defined purpose, like "we must defeat the French" or "we must drag ourselves out of the Great Depression", but when you have the country and parliament split and wanting two diametrically opposed things, it's not really going to help matters.

11 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

snowychap,  For clarity, I don't actually think of her heroically - I think she's appalling both in her views and in her ability as a politician. I just liked the strange idea that she's secretly driving us toward Remain by shining a light on how bad an idea Brexit really is.

Indeed. To be fair, I get where you were coming from. :thumb:

I just took your post as an opportunity for a bit of a rant because I too watched a lot of telly yesterday and I feared quite a bit of what appeared like revisionism starting to take hold - with politicians and in the reporting not with you.

Edited by snowychap
'get' for 'saw'
  • Like 1

Cameron knew the role as PM woukd be a disaster for those negotiating brexit thats why he walked. May will go down as the fall person. 

Like I said when we left I didn't trust either party to be able to get a good deal for us hence my objection to leaving.  I was mocked and behold here we are a complete and utter shambles.

6 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Like I said when we left I didn't trust either party to be able to get a good deal for us hence my objection to leaving.  I was mocked and behold here we are a complete and utter shambles.

Eh? What you said has been the position of the majority of posters on this thread for as long as I can remember.

Edited by ml1dch
  • Like 3

Â