The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

4 hours ago, peterms said:

If you found yourself cast adrift in a small boat with Michael Gove, not enough food and water, and a sharp knife, however tired you became, would you fall asleep?

I'd wear him like a cheap suit.

• Haha 1

Ignoring the MPs who will vote mostly on self-interest (including the DUP and SNP) it seems the MPs intending to vote against the deal fall into two camps: the leavers who think the failure of the deal will lead to a preferential hard brexit; the remainers who think a failed deal will eventually lead to the possibility of not leaving.

Assuming all the predictions that the deal will not be passed by parliament are correct, I’m really not sure which of the two camps will win.

8 minutes ago, brommy said:

Ignoring the MPs who will vote mostly on self-interest (including the DUP and SNP) it seems the MPs intending to vote against the deal fall into two camps: the leavers who think the failure of the deal will lead to a preferential hard brexit; the remainers who think a failed deal will eventually lead to the possibility of not leaving.

Assuming all the predictions that the deal will not be passed by parliament are correct, I’m really not sure which of the two camps will win.

Well, No Deal is the default outcome and it's always easier to waste time than to actually do something in politics.

That said, as I said before, my current expectation is a TARP-style second vote on May's deal. 

5 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Well, No Deal is the default outcome and it's always easier to waste time than to actually do something in politics.

That said, as I said before, my current expectation is a TARP-style second vote on May's deal. 

Are there many MPs who genuinely believe voting against the deal will lead to a better withdrawal deal? If not, what is the point on voting against the deal and then voting for the deal in a second vote?

Stephen Barclay appointed Sec of State at DExEU - no, me neither.

According to the Wiki:

Barclay was named by Conservative Home as one of a minority of loyal Conservative backbench MPs not to have voted against the government in any significant rebellions.

Ah, I see. :)

Edit: Having just checked the link that list from Con Home was done in 2012! Might not apply still.

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, brommy said:

Are there many MPs who genuinely believe voting against the deal will lead to a better withdrawal deal? If not, what is the point on voting against the deal and then voting for the deal in a second vote?

They don't know that they're going to vote for it on the second occasion, yet. I'm just assuming that they'll reject it, then the FTSE will crash like a thousand points and a run on the pound or something, and then they'll vote for it in blind panic. 

I don't know this obviously, but it's my best guess at the moment. 

7 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

They don't know that they're going to vote for it on the second occasion, yet. I'm just assuming that they'll reject it, then the FTSE will crash like a thousand points and a run on the pound or something, and then they'll vote for it in blind panic. 

I don't know this obviously, but it's my best guess at the moment. 

Possibly. It would be unusual for there be a large loss on the FTSE100 and the pound.

7 hours ago, mjmooney said:

There should have been cross-party consultation on what Brexit would actually entail upfront, rather than a referendum. Indepth investigation involving Parliament, business leaders, trades unions, police and the military, local councils, environmentalists, etc. At that point, both parties should have had a pretty good idea on what their stance was. If the majority of their MPs had doubts, then no Brexit. If there was a clear party split, put it all in their manifestos and call a general election. 

But no. What did we get? A TV game show vote. Criminal. 

That’s all true but I was more looking at what May should have done once she became leader. 

My basic premise was that she should have gotten the UK’s own house in order before triggering article 50 and going to the EU with a united position to negotiate from. 

Edited by LondonLax
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Chindie said:

They may as well shutter that department. It did nothing and now the job is over.

It seems the job of Brexit secretary in a May government appears to be preparing the country for ‘no deal’ whilst May herself tries to negotiate the deal. Hence Raab’s resignation. 

So if 20 MP'S are publicly against May and presumably the deal on the table - then even if she survives - she can't hope to get the deal past the house of commons ....unless:-

Once the EU bless the deal - there becomes an end game in sight - maybe not the end many wanted - but can they all sigh and move the political agenda on

If they oust May - will the Tory party stomach a right wing brexiteer , Mogg, Johnson , etc - and a no deal Brexit  ?

Could labour ride to the rescue and consider the May deal better than a no deal - or would they be unable to resist toppling the tories - ? even if Labour went on to win a GE (and thats an almighty if) would they be able to put anything other than the May deal re worded on the table 

an unholy mess - perhaps it will only end when there is a will to end it - a bit like a military conflict there comes a point when everyone just says "end it" - and we dig ourselves out of where ever we are 

I've just watched the tv news for the first time in a while. They did some vox pop piece from Burnley or Barnsley or some northern town that voted leave.

They had a guy on the market that wanted a proper Brexiteer in charge of the country. I couldn't help noticing the hand written sign on his poultry. He was selling them individually, as a brace and as 3 brace.

Anyone that writes a sign offering three brace of chickens instead of 6 chickens is an absolute nob.

I don't doubt for a second that if he was selling string he'd have it priced in yards, with a yard being the distance between his arse and his elbow at midnight on the eve of the feast of Saint Micklemass.

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I've just watched the tv news for the first time in a while. They did some vox pop piece from Burnley or Barnsley or some northern town that voted leave.

They had a guy on the market that wanted a proper Brexiteer in charge of the country. I couldn't help noticing the hand written sign on his poultry. He was selling them individually, as a brace and as 3 brace.

Anyone that writes a sign offering three brace of chickens instead of 6 chickens is an absolute nob.

I don't doubt for a second that if he was selling string he'd have it priced in yards, with a yard being the distance between his arse and his elbow at midnight on the eve of the feast of Saint Micklemass.

I'll keep saying it.  The only hope we have to save ourselves lies with sterilization vans.

11 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Brace in that sense is applied to animals killed in hunting, it's not just another word for "two".

I imagine yer man creeping round a chicken coop, dressed in camouflage gear, stalking the unsuspecting creatures before striking.

• Like 1

Â