The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

It works the other way as well. Businesses excluding goods from the UK to another EU destination have an exceptionally easy process to go through.

After we crash out? 

Haha.

20 minutes ago, terrytini said:

I spent years enforcing ( amongst a lot of other things) a lot of ‘petty’ EU Regulations, things like “children’s hood cords”, “ plugs and sockets”, “stands for carry cots”.....all of which came into force following numerous horrific fatalities....all of which have pretty much eradicated those incidents.

The type of “ red tape” that gets sneered at, that we will be “ free from”.

Throughout my career I've had to operate with these rules.  Also included were "no elasticated hood cord", "waterproof means waterproof, not water resistant" and "restricted substances".

It was always logical, and always helped to substantiate why we were worth the money.  Because the product wasn't shit.

International brands that will have to adhere to those rules after Brexit because the product is sold globally, will likely be seen as a rip off because it'll be even more expensive than the Bangladeshi shit that will inevitably flood the market.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

@terrytini excellent post mate and always good to have some real hands on insight in threads like this. 

Quite. The rebuttal is invariably "we'll just regulate ourselves and make sure that everything is up scratch, which means we'll be fine". 

Which sees the point sail quite far over their heads.

• Like 2

As a wee Postscript, I also had a few years (79-82/83 were the worst) where we DIDNT operate that way......prior to the EU controls taking effect, where we operated without the EU, without Harmonised Regulations, without a Harmonised Standards........nightmare.

To give a very ( very) simple example if Frances Regulations for the Lead Content in pencils was different - in any way - to ours, then imports of the product had to be tested. And of course, they had to be checked each time.....because the lack of legislative or operational integration meant each occasion had to be treated as unique.

And of course France has to do the same in reverse.

And then there was German pencils, Spanish pencils, all with their own rules, all trying to ensure their own traders were not commercially disadvantaged, all making sure their own “ local” safety concerns were met.

Ive deliberately chosen a few “ silly” Regulations ( anything but ) but there’s loads, and loads within loads, Food Standards and Labelling, Construction Products, Package Travel Law, Weights And Measures, etc etc.

So....aside from the inefficiency......

........I  would bet a million billion zillion pounds that those Nations are NOT going to say or do anything at all that circumvents or hampers that, or allows anyone else to.

Ohhhh yes, and the final arbiter on interpretation of the remaining contentious bits - and there still are some - for Business v Business ( so nothing to do with bureaucracy.)....the European Court. Hmmmm....

Edited by terrytini
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, brommy said:

Would and should the election result in Italy be of any concern to the EU and it's status?

Illustrate your answer with relevant examples. Write on both sides of the paper. Additional sheets may be attached with the treasury tags provided. All rough work must be handed in. Careless and untidy work will be penalised. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Illustrate your answer with relevant examples. Write on both sides of the paper. Additional sheets may be attached with the treasury tags provided. All rough work must be handed in. Careless and untidy work will be penalised. 

I expect that explains why this thread had dropped half way down page 2 of off topic despite the recent political events within a major EU country!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I remember some commentators earlier in the thread commenting that the UK would be fine outside the European Market because apparently Trump was an anglophile and would love to help the UK out with a favourable trade deal :crylaugh:

• Like 2

Theresa May confirms EU Digital Single Market exit

Prime Minister Theresa May has confirmed that the UK will not be part of the European Union's Digital Single Market following the completion of the 'Brexit' process, removing recently- and soon-to-be-introduced benefits including the abolition of mobile roaming fees and restrictions on retailer geo-blocking.

The European Digital Single Market - the digital equivalent, if the name weren't clue enough, of the EU Single Market for physical commerce - has brought a range of benefits including the abolition of mobile roaming charges and rules designed to prevent 'geo-blocking' due to go into force this December. Unfortunately, it appears that the UK will not be benefiting from these or any other Digital Single Market regulations going forward.

Bit-Tech

Leaving the EU digital market is really dumb. 

Everything about Brexit is so stupid i'm kinda surprised people are still pushing for it. The whole thing is embarrassing. 

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 2

Â