The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

12 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

If the remain camp had used Roaming charges as part of their campaign they would have comfortably won. 

Maybe, but possibly our annoyance on this reflects the socioeconomic make-up of the forum members here, ie. more likely to travel to Europe on holiday than the average Leaver. Or maybe no more likely to travel to Europe, but more likely to worry about the cost. Or maybe none of those things!

9 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Maybe, but possibly our annoyance on this reflects the socioeconomic make-up of the forum members here, ie. more likely to travel to Europe on holiday than the average Leaver. Or maybe no more likely to travel to Europe, but more likely to worry about the cost. Or maybe none of those things!

I think it would reflect the mentality of many voters and what they deem as important. I heard of many people that voted remain for the simple reason they may have to get a £20 Visa to travel to Spain. 

48 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

If the remain camp had used Roaming charges as part of their campaign they would have comfortably won. 

Nah. It would have just been another thing for pernicious little toads like Johnson and Hannan to add to their list of false scaremongering claims.

"Just because we're leaving the EU, doesn't mean our place in the Single Market  / existing trade agreements / passporting of financial services / rights of UK citizens abroad / Irish relations / European roaming / etc / is under threat. Why would our neighbours want it to change?"

Sadly believed and lapped up by people who should really should know better.

Coming soon to a ranty moron near you : "them EU types, punishing us patriotic Brits wanting to leave by taking our roaming away. Just shows how right we were..."

Edited by ml1dch
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Drip, drip, drip, drip...

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

They wernt but surely somebody must have known it was on the agenda. Or maybe they didn't...

Yes but telling people they are going to lose something they haven't yet got isn't going to win many votes is it?

6 minutes ago, bickster said:

Yes but telling people they are going to lose something they haven't yet got isn't going to win many votes is it?

True but my original post was that some people voted for reasons - such as roaming charges! 

Edit: ok maybe it's quite a big deal to people that travel a lot. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

True but my original post was that some people voted for reasons - such as roaming charges! 

Edit: ok maybe it's quite a big deal to people that travel a lot. 

Im guessing here but I would imagine people that travel a lot didn't vote for this shambles in the first place

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

Im guessing here but I would imagine people that travel a lot didn't vote for this shambles in the first place

I bet you thousands of sun readers voted remain when found out they may have to get a Visa to go Benidorm. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

30 minutes ago, bickster said:

Oh I don't know. There's a fair bit of evidence to suggest the vote was swung by well off retirees iirc, particularly in the South East. I wouldn't be surprised if they were the kind of people taking regular trips to the continent.

Roaming charges aren't that important, it's true. It's only a couple of years ago since you just didn't roam on your phone; most places have free Wi-Fi anyway. But it's a good example of something tangible that has been lost, replaced by nothing but waffle. In that sense it's very predictive of what's to come.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I kinda get where @Vive_La_Villa is coming from. 

Roaming charges is a minor thing in the grand scheme of all things brexit.  But such is the mindset of a lot of the voting public that they we’ll vote for purely selfish reasons. 

Tell them it it will plunge the economy into a recession or put the future of UK residents of European origin in jeopardy, and they won’t bat an eyelid. But tell them they’ll have to pay £1 a mb when they’re posting photos of their holiday to Benidorm on Facebook and they’ll be up in arms. 

I've never spoken to anyone - even people who are weighing up the options rationally as they appear to them, who don't end up voting on 'the thing that swings it for me is.....' or 'I could never vote for them because....'

Finding out what that is and how you need to appeal to it is how to win votes

18 hours ago, Chindie said:

Oh I don't know. There's a fair bit of evidence to suggest the vote was swung by well off retirees iirc, particularly in the South East. I wouldn't be surprised if they were the kind of people taking regular trips to the incontinence clinic.

fixed :mrgreen:

Hammond: UK could reject any Brexit deal excluding financial services

Philip Hammond has put Britain on a fresh collision course with Brussels after he warned the government could reject any Brexit trade deal not including financial services.

Speaking in Canary Wharf at the headquarters of HSBC on Wednesday afternoon, the chancellor said a trade deal would only happen if it balanced the interests of both the UK and the EU.

“It’s hard to see any deal that did not include financial services can look like a fair and balanced deal,” he said.

So the negotiating position is that we will reject a deal that doesn't give us what we want and in its place we will get no deal which does not give us what we want either.  He then goes on to say:

“This is not a zero-sum game, where any loss of market share in London is automatically a gain to another EU capital … The real beneficiaries are more likely to be New York, Singapore and Hong Kong,”.

Which is still a daft as a brush position to take.  It accepts that we will lose market share in London in both scenarios.  His main point is that by offering us no deal on financial services it may only be a bit good for Europe rather than really good.  This isn't a collision course with Brussels, they can shrug this one off without a second thought.  The only thing colliding here is my palm and my face as I watch these numpties continue to negotiate like cats in a bag at the edge of a river.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Straggler said:

Hammond: UK could reject any Brexit deal excluding financial services

So the negotiating position is that we will reject a deal that doesn't give us what we want and in its place we will get no deal which does not give us what we want either.  He then goes on to say:

Which is still a daft as a brush position to take.  It accepts that we will lose market share in London in both scenarios.  His main point is that by offering us no deal on financial services it may only be a bit good for Europe rather than really good.  This isn't a collision course with Brussels, they can shrug this one off without a second thought.  The only thing colliding here is my palm and my face as I watch these numpties continue to negotiate like cats in a bag at the edge of a river.

Or

They still haven't realised that they can't just stroll in to Brussels, and shout their demands in a louder and louder voice until Johnny Foreigner caves in to the might of the British Empire.

8 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

They still haven't realised that they can't just stroll in to Brussels, and shout their demands in a louder and louder voice until Johnny Foreigner caves in to the might of the British Empire.

The Euro's will realise we're British soon

Â