The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

2 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I just don't get why so many people suddenly give such a massive toss about the fishing industry.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/fishing-industry-in-2016-statistics-published

i'm not saying that I want 11,800 people to be out of a job, but firstly that's not going to happen, and even if it did happen, that's about as many employees as BHS had. I'm not sure it's an issue that should be dictating national policy.

Two points, which I think are important for balance (as everyone who actually voted for this and is still paying attention is now rocking back and forth, crying into their pillow)

11,800 is the approximate number of fishermen. That's not the number who are employed by, or rely on the fishing industry which is a much higher figure.

(to be disingenuous) It's a bit like saying that we don't need to worry about the airline industry because there aren't all that many pilots. Edit - a less disingenuous version, there not being all that many jockeys employed by the horse-racing industry.

Also the argument, "there aren't really very many fishermen anyway". Plenty in those communities would answer: "we know. That's the effing point. There used to be a whole lot more, and we don't like what it's turned into".

Balance added. As you were.

Edited by ml1dch
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, bickster said:

Are you sure? I thought he was from Rocket Polishers with Shitty Beards

Given what most fishermen of my acquaintance look like, they could quite easily be the same organisation.

2 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Given what most fishermen of my acquaintance look like, they could quite easily be the same organisation.

You acquaint yourself with fishermen?

**walks across the road**

Just now, bickster said:

You acquaint yourself with fishermen?

**walks across the road**

The home of the in-laws. 

One island, 12,000 people, four surnames between them.

You meet a few characters, that's for sure.

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

I'll add another one. The number of coastal constituencies that return a Conservative MP, and the higher likelihood of mobilisation in that type of community to change that if they feel they are being screwed over by a Conservative Government.

Scottish Conservative MPs know that they are toast if / when fishing isn't delivered to local satisfaction (and it won't be). So they need to shout from the rooftops in the hope that "we tried our best" will be good enough to keep their jobs.

There's an interesting dynamic in some of these communities, combining villages, small towns, big rural areas, a small port or two.  Traditional, slow-moving, natually conservative.  The SNP won some of them, playing to the more right-wing, Fergus Ewing side of their party and playing down the more adventurous side; then they lost some again.

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

Dutch company to make new Blue Passports :mrgreen:

Hating to be contrary for the second time in three posts, this isn't really all that embarrassing for the Brexity position.

"We'd love to have given the contract to a British company. BRUSSELS say that while we are in the EU we legally have to go with the best bid, wherever they are from. This is why we need to take ba..."

It feels like I'm going native.

Just now, ml1dch said:

Hating to be contrary for the second time in three posts, this isn't really all that embarrassing for the Brexity position.

"We'd love to have given the contract to a British company. BRUSSELS say that while we are in the EU we legally have to go with the best bid, wherever they are from. This is why we need to take ba..."

It feels like I'm going native.

But you can write the tender to make sure you've included stuff that makes it uneconomic for 'them' to win it. But 'we' never do.

I've worked over in euroland. We won the contracts where they just wanted the work done. We lost the contracts where they required our presence at meetings every Tuesday and Friday to discuss progress, face to face. Strangely, for the contract work in Malta, it was always the Maltese that put in the best price for attending two meetings a week, two days apart.

I guess it was beyond the wit of our tender writing gurus to suggest something similarly contrived. The contract could include regular meetings in Wrexham and a requirement to recruit in Fleetwood and set up a printing academy in Berwick. Or some such similar bollocks.

Nope, not us. Who will deliver the cheapest? Then blame the EU.

Win win.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Aargh. All of this kerfuffle about the passport stuff is such utter cock.

It even gets on the News ffs.

I suppose  no other European country ever gets anything made outside its own borders for internal use or maybe they are struggling for News ?

54 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

It even gets on the News ffs.

I suppose  no other European country ever gets anything made outside its own borders for internal use or maybe they are struggling for News ?

correct

The French only allow French companies to produce French passports. All within the EU rules, as you can cite security reasons.

55 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

correct

The French only allow French companies to produce French passports. All within the EU rules, as you can cite security reasons.

Gemalto make French passports, and they're a Dutch company.

20 minutes ago, Risso said:

Gemalto make French passports, and they're a Dutch company.

No they don't

The Imprimerie Nationale manages all electronic and biometric passports processes - development, production and personalization - at its highly secure production plant (PS1 level).

2 minutes ago, blandy said:

Oh yes they do

"Over 30 countries now using our ePassports

The number of countries using our advanced ePassport technologies topped 30 in 2017, including Algeria, France, Sweden and the US, to name a few. Introduced in 2005, ePassports store the holder’s personal data and photo in a secure microprocessor – and the next generation will add travel information such as eVisas and entry/ exit stamps to support even more ef cient immigration control."

https://www.gemalto.com/govt/customer-cases/france-travel-doc

"A strong partnership with Imprimerie Nationale"

"Managing" from your link clearly means subbing stuff out in some circumstances.

9 minutes ago, blandy said:

Oh yes they do:) (sort of)

October 2008 saw Gemalto selected by the Imprimerie Nationale, France’s national printer, to supply its Document Issuance solution for personalizing

the second-generation of French biometric passport with digital biometric information like fingerprints.

As I understand it Gemalto  supply the technology for E-passports for over 30 countires

they are also technically part of the Theale group now as the acquisition was approved last year and is currently going through the motions ... making Gemalto a French company by the time our Blue passports roll of ze ligne de production in 2019

2 minutes ago, Risso said:

Oh yes they do

The number of countries using our advanced ePassport technologies topped 30 in 2017, including Algeria, France, Sweden and the US, to name a few. Introduced in 2005, ePassports store the holder’s personal data and photo in a secure microprocessor – and the next generation will add travel information such as eVisas and entry/ exit stamps to support even more ef cient immigration control."

"Managing" from your link clearly means subbing stuff out in some circumstances.

snap :) 

16 minutes ago, Risso said:

Oh yes they do

I don't think so. I read it as (From my link)

The Imprimerie Nationale manages all electronic and biometric passports processes - development, production and personalization - at its highly secure production plant (PS1 level).
The passports developed by our experts meet specific governmental requirements. The different layers of security are designed end developed by our dedicated team of experts.

The paper, printed at our production plant, incorporates the best security features: watermark, guilloches, invisible UV iridescence, holograms, micro letters, variable optic ink, ghost image, lenticular image.

..over 12,5 million electronic and biometric passport produced at our highly secure production plant since 2006

And from your link  (and Tony says)  Gemalto provide the technologies (the smart part). But the passports are made in France by a French ((Gov't) company. They are not made by Gemalto. French law, we're told, doesn't allow it.

Â