Keinan Davis

a-k

36 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

You make some fair points here, but I have to say I felt the team played better with Davis than with Hogan. 

The team actually played pretty well when we had Kodjia-Davis up top. This was of course before Grealish was able to play. If we lose Grealish, I wouldn't mind trying that formation again. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, jackbauer24 said:

Davis is a prime example of 'one of our own' completely trumping any facts or any realistic judgement. He's a striker who doesn't score goals. Someone above said he might get 7 to 10 goals in a season - I'd say that's his absolute limit, and that is at Championship level. He's big and strong and has a reasonable touch but his finishing and decision making is so bad that no amount of experience or game time will help.

Whilst no massive fan of Hogan, he gets a lot of stick for being useless when he scored 9 goals to Davis' 3, and assisted in one more goal than him. His goal to minutes played is over twice as good (234mins per goal to KD's 530mins). So all Davis has over him is that he's 'one of our own' and didn't cost £12m (not Hogan's fault it is an overinflated market). 

Sorry, Davis is barely good enough for this level and the fact he's 6 years younger than Hogan is not enough to excuse his shortcomings. He needs to go out on loan to see if there's a footballer in there rather than just being a big guy. At (around) his age Hogan was scoring every other game in League 2.

That just shows that stats can be mis-led. Davis is never going to be a Lewandowski but more of a Heskey who does the donkey work for others and opens the game. Adomah and Hourihane I guess got majority of goals when he was in the team

• Like 1

16 hours ago, jackbauer24 said:

Davis is a prime example of 'one of our own' completely trumping any facts or any realistic judgement. He's a striker who doesn't score goals. Someone above said he might get 7 to 10 goals in a season - I'd say that's his absolute limit, and that is at Championship level. He's big and strong and has a reasonable touch but his finishing and decision making is so bad that no amount of experience or game time will help.

Whilst no massive fan of Hogan, he gets a lot of stick for being useless when he scored 9 goals to Davis' 3, and assisted in one more goal than him. His goal to minutes played is over twice as good (234mins per goal to KD's 530mins). So all Davis has over him is that he's 'one of our own' and didn't cost £12m (not Hogan's fault it is an overinflated market). 

Sorry, Davis is barely good enough for this level and the fact he's 6 years younger than Hogan is not enough to excuse his shortcomings. He needs to go out on loan to see if there's a footballer in there rather than just being a big guy. At (around) his age Hogan was scoring every other game in League 2.

This is a teenager playing in a Men's division. It's a rare thing for that opportunity to be given. Even rarer that they rise to the occasion.

Did you see the game in which both Davis and COH played, I forget against who, where they had a couple of one-twos and linked up nicely. You could tell they have played together, and what they were bringing to the table was good enough for the championship. You being critical of Davis' decision making is premature. Unless you have seen his development first hand in the youth and under 23 setup and are making a judgement based on that.

He's a young man who rose to the occasion my friend, as far as I'm concerned. I think the 'one of our own' comments that acknowledge his potential are of more realistic judgement than you give credit to.

If we're talking stats, Davis has the same conversion rate as Torres did for Chelsea. Torres won the Champions League in that time and although far from spectacular played his role. My point here is not to say that Davis will win us the championship, rather that he was a role player in a relatively successful season and there's no reason he can't build on that. Especially given his age. You're the one not practicing realistic judgement should you bin him due to a 1 in 5 goal scoring ratio alone.

• Like 4

On 08/07/2018 at 07:16, A'Villan said:

This is a teenager playing in a Men's division. It's a rare thing for that opportunity to be given. Even rarer that they rise to the occasion.

Did you see the game in which both Davis and COH played, I forget against who, where they had a couple of one-twos and linked up nicely. You could tell they have played together, and what they were bringing to the table was good enough for the championship. You being critical of Davis' decision making is premature. Unless you have seen his development first hand in the youth and under 23 setup and are making a judgement based on that.

He's a young man who rose to the occasion my friend, as far as I'm concerned. I think the 'one of our own' comments that acknowledge his potential are of more realistic judgement than you give credit to.

If we're talking stats, Davis has the same conversion rate as Torres did for Chelsea. Torres won the Champions League in that time and although far from spectacular played his role. My point here is not to say that Davis will win us the championship, rather that he was a role player in a relatively successful season and there's no reason he can't build on that. Especially given his age. You're the one not practicing realistic judgement should you bin him due to a 1 in 5 goal scoring ratio alone.

Was the Norwich game, Hourihane got a Hat trick and Davis played really well, showed a lot of strength and power.

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

southampton paid £14m for angus gunn today, makes me think if they are after davis we might be able to squeeze a double digit out of him

personally i think its too soon for him, he needs another full season with us, playing more and scoring more, i think PL defenders will eat him up

On 07/07/2018 at 22:25, Czechlad said:

The team actually played pretty well when we had Kodjia-Davis up top. This was of course before Grealish was able to play. If we lose Grealish, I wouldn't mind trying that formation again. 

You might be on to something, however this is also provided we don't have to sell Kodjia too.

10 hours ago, sidcow said:

And yet not one offer. 

Anything whatsoever you read in the press can be automatically put into a box marked "bullshit" 

Anything they get right is where they have thrown enough darts out there blindfold eventually one hits the board. 

Do you know that?  Or are you going off the press not stating there's been an offer?  If so, shouldn't it be marked "bullshit"?

10 hours ago, villa4europe said:

southampton paid £14m for angus gunn today, makes me think if they are after davis we might be able to squeeze a double digit out of him

personally i think its too soon for him, he needs another full season with us, playing more and scoring more, i think PL defenders will eat him up

They had to offer silly money for Gunn to get him and for some reason that is beyond me did. 

They won't have to twist our arm with silly money for our player if they want him £2m would probably do it with us given our desperate situation. I hope they don't want him because he's worth more to us and is one of the young players we are relying on to come good when we have lost most of the last season's first team. :( 

36 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Do you know that?  Or are you going off the press not stating there's been an offer?  If so, shouldn't it be marked "bullshit"?

No, I am going off the fact that none of our players have been sold or announced to be sold.  We cannot get money in quick enough, we will not be turning down offers.

6 minutes ago, sidcow said:

No, I am going off the fact that none of our players have been sold or announced to be sold.  We cannot get money in quick enough, we will not be turning down offers.

I'm lost as to how/why this shows that the press are "bullshitting".  People show interest in players - it doesn't mean they've made a bid straight away.  Anyway, as you were...

From the few videos and interviews he had seemed quite timid but seems to be growing in confidence judging by that one. Can only be good, last season he seemed to lose his way and shoulders were slumped. Needs to get back to chest out, zero respect and bullying people.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hippo said:

Still looks short of goals for me. If a reasonable offer £5m+ came I would take the calculated gamble that his lack of goals will continue to plague him.

Hard to score when his strike partner doesn't seem to know he exists. I lost count of the times Davis was in a great position to receive a pass and Kodjia ignored him.. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Daweii said:

Hard to score when his strike partner doesn't seem to know he exists. I lost count of the times Davis was in a great position to receive a pass and Kodjia ignored him.. 

Scoring goals is difficult. Thats why strikers who can score goals command such big fees

I was talking Davis's on going shortage of goals . But you're not seriously blaming Davis's lack of goals on Kjodia ? -  Kjodia barely played last season - and after the initial flurry Davis struggled for goals  - I don't even think Kjodia was in the team  most of that time - I also believe Kjodia passed to Hourihane for his goal today - and Kjodia's pass completion rate from his first seasons quite high.

Some people just do not understand football. It is a team game. The same people who never appreciated Heskey, still do not appreciate Sterling will never appreciate Davis.

He is a massive handful. He has massive potential. He is unlikely ever to be a prolific goal scorer but that does not mean he cannot improve the overall effectiveness of our team. Football is about the collective yet so few people seem to understand this most basic of concepts. 

The way that Bruce sets his teams up means that a Davis type striker is essential. Unfortunately not even Bruce himself seems to understand this basic concept.

• Like 1

Â