Mathieu Debuchy

VillaChris

5 minutes ago, Pilchard said:

Seeing as it was my post you quoted...Not by me it wouldn't.

We are relegated, gone. This season is no more than a number of friendlies. We should be using this window to clear out as much crap as possible to save the job in the summer and ideally bringing in some players for next year's challenge in the Championship. And I don't think loaning a player who clearly doesn't want to really come from the manager's mate for the next six months is something that will help that challenge.

I have similar thoughts about the suggested Sane deal.

100% totally agree we have 8 months to prepare (to use a phrase wrongly attributed to the club right now).  The club continues to stumble from one mistake to another

Bringing players now with a view to them playing for us next season in the Championship is a blind narrative. If we go down they will have ingrained into them a losing mentality much like some of the players (particularly as a group) already here. And if they perform as well as we'd like, then they might not stick around anyway beyond the summer. I really think the time to prepare for the championship, if we go down, is in the summer, or at least in terms of signing players for that division.

Edited by useless
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Richard said:

100% totally agree we have 8 months to prepare (to use a phrase wrongly attributed to the club right now).  The club continues to stumble from one mistake to another

It's like the pissed up old timer at the Horses. putting another ton on the last race of the night.

Let it go old man, it's over.

37 minutes ago, useless said:

Bringing players now with a view to them playing for us next season in the Championship is a blind narrative. If we go down they will have ingrained into them a losing mentality much like some of the players (particularly as a group) already here. And if they perform as well as we'd like, then they might not stick around anyway beyond the summer. I really think the time to prepare for the championship, if we go down, is in the summer, or at least in terms of signing players for that division.

I do agree to a certain extent. There is something there to no taint them with being relegated, evebn if we were relegated long before they'd join us.

Better than a false narrative though I guess.

• Like 1

We're hardly going to spend a ton on trying to stay up. Players for the Championship are best bought in the summer so they won't have been part of a team relegation and all the negatives that come with that, and we'll know that they'll be signing to help us out in that division and not to impress in the short term with us to win a move to another Prem team, should we go down.

Edited by useless

50 minutes ago, Pilchard said:

Seeing as it was my post you quoted...Not by me it wouldn't.

We are relegated, gone. This season is no more than a number of friendlies. We should be using this window to clear out as much crap as possible to save the job in the summer and ideally bringing in some players for next year's challenge in the Championship. And I don't think loaning a player who clearly doesn't want to really come from the manager's mate for the next six months is something that will help that challenge.

I have similar thoughts about the suggested Sane deal.

I don't understand why people discuss the Championship as this weird alternate beast where you need a certain "type" of player to be successful in it.  Where did this honestly come from?

It's just another league - one that is inferior to the Premier League.  For now, we seek to stay up and make appropriate short-term decisions.  Once we're down, we should consider longer term options.  We "only" need to hit top 8 form for the remainder of the season and I think we'll be safe*.

(* - I know it's very unlikely, but we've beaten that horse to death.  There's still a possibility of survival as things stand).

Edited by bobzy

£1.25m loan fee for 4 months -

Good value?: no

Do we need him?: not really

Will he make the difference?: on his own no; as part of 3 or 4 first team additions, maybe?

Is he worth it?: on balance no, I would rather we put the money towards a forward or winger. If it was £1.25m to sign him it's a no brainier, but for a short term loan for a 30yr old who won't ever join us, it's futile. Want for wanting's sake.

Edited by thunderball

No longer needed - we have Micah and Bacuna as a backup. Oh and Hutton as a further backup. Money saved on a signing. Everyone is happy down at the Villa as a result :) 

Edited by Tayls

Is he a forward? No then move on.

Hollis talking about not wasting money, well sorry Mr Chairman if this deal goes through then I believe once you look back in the summer you will realise you have thrown money away on a RB that's not required.

He might be an improvement on what we currently have (Richards is good enough imo) but our number one priority right now should be a goalscorer, buy as many full backs as you like but it will not alter that.

Funny one this.

i agree with many of be posts above about this being a 1.5m waste of time. Also, Hutton, although not the desired quality at this level will probably walk the championship as he has done whenever loaned down there. Hutton will be wearing a villa shirt in a few months, debuchy won't. Why would we knock Hutton off his perch especially with adequate backup. 

I echo the need for a striker, though, it's not as simple as that...we'd be carrying them for long periods of the game and we as fans will have to get used to having s striker up front not as jnvocoed in the game as we'd like if we truly do want a 'poacher'.

Â