Mathieu Debuchy

VillaChris

The fact that most of our width is provided by fullbacks, coupled with the fact that the standard of our crossing at the moment is monumentally poor, I think this signing could have more of an effect on our attacking than people think.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, useless said:

Unless we sign a striker then I think all other signings are pointless, in the situation we find ourselves in.

This. We've conceded 3 goals in the last 5 games. We actually look pretty decent at the back, and with the exception of the Sunderland and Norwich games, have done since mid-December. Debuchy would mean dropping one of Richards or Okore; right now I don't want to drop either. 

8 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

The fact that most of our width is provided by fullbacks, coupled with the fact that the standard of our crossing at the moment is monumentally poor, I think this signing could have more of an effect on our attacking than people think.

Debuchy would be a better crosser, but I've seen literally nothing - and I've seen all of the games he's played so far this season - to suggest that all Kozak needs to score is 'better crosses'. 

I'd be very happy if he signs, it would be another problem area filled.  Hutton has been below par, Richards is an accident waiting to happen and his positioning is terrible while Bacuna has been the best of the lot so far but hasn't played there enough for me to sold on him.  Sign Debuchy and that would mean the only position left to improve is centre forward and then we might actually start winning games and give ourselves a chance of clawing back some points.

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

Debuchy would be a better crosser, but I've seen literally nothing - and I've seen all of the games he's played so far this season - to suggest that all Kozak needs to score is 'better crosses'. 

I'm not so sure. I think kozak is capable of putting away a header if he got a couple of chances. I can't recall a single cross since Kozak has been playing that has found his head.

But I'm positive some better crosses would get Gestede a few goals.

1 hour ago, Richard said:

What is he going to bring for four months?

nothing in isolation however if we sign a striker who at the very least can score when given the chance we might yet drag ourselves back into the fight. I'm very aware you don't think we will sign anybody and think the club have resigned to relegation, but this signing makes sense if we haven't given up and are going to get someone to put the ball in the back of the net.

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

he has 6 assists in 4 seasons, dont think he be that much use going forward either

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Richard said:

What is he going to bring for four months?

Better shape, better width, better crossing. 

Benefits from the better shape could include one or two midfielders feeling they can get up the pitch a bit more to help out, or god forbid, run into the opposition box or something.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Zatman said:

he has 6 assists in 4 seasons, dont think he be that much use going forward either

Fair point.

I was just assuming he would be better than our current players at crossing the ball, which is pretty much a given.

Richards would be the weak link. Cissohko and Okore are undroppable in the back four. Lescott dropped for Richards maybe.. but not on current form. Pointless signing considering we really lacking a striker or two even. Even a goal keeper and an energetic goal scoring midfielder.

• Like 1

Â