Transfer Speculation Summer 2016

Guest av1

I am totally bemused as to why any fan would care what we are paying for players, or why anyone would be surprised it is a lot of money.

The answer to the second part is simply that it was always going to be that way once Clubs realised Tony really did have money, its not exactly a secret that we were desperate to change an entire team.  In fact, I think the Club should be applauded for the guys they snuck in under the radar near the start of the Window.  We'd probably be paying £25 m for McCormack now.  We were never going to be able to get everyone in like that.

As for the money ?  Who cares, and who would prefer we carried on our tradition of the last 15 years (bar a couple) of getting people on the cheap and going nowhere ?

• Like 4

Inzaghi has said Morrison is not "close to" his first team thinking, however the gossip sites have absolutely zero clue where he might go. The player says he wants to come back to England. Links to us only in past tense, plus QPR, Sheffield (?! don't specify what flavour so dubious!), Sunderland and Forest.

Make of that what you will but it doesn't look like he'll get a game with Inzaghi any time soon and he wants to come back to England.

5 minutes ago, terrytini said:

I am totally bemused as to why any fan would care what we are paying for players, or why anyone would be surprised it is a lot of money.

The answer to the second part is simply that it was always going to be that way once Clubs realised Tony really did have money, its not exactly a secret that we were desperate to change an entire team.  In fact, I think the Club should be applauded for the guys they snuck in under the radar near the start of the Window.  We'd probably be paying £25 m for McCormack now.  We were never going to be able to get everyone in like that.

As for the money ?  Who cares, and who would prefer we carried on our tradition of the last 15 years (bar a couple) of getting people on the cheap and going nowhere ?

Good point Terry.....maybe we think the money will dry up.....after all thats what some of us have been brought up on.

I went to see that scroll when it was touring in Solhull or somewhere like that. Couldn't help but think what a monster effort by the editor to pick up a giant piece of writing like that and read it to the end. Good job he did otherwise we'd have been robbed of one of the greats. 

Back on topic. A yes to Morrison for me, character smararachter. 

Edited by villaglint

16 minutes ago, terrytini said:

You have to be seen to be getting value for money. Throwing money around promotes a 'fix it' culture. Theres a problem - lets throw £25m at it.  This windows is a one off and I am delighted with the money spent. Hopefully in the future we will be able to more precisely target the players we want - rather than a mad scramble on the last days of the window.

That said - Id be all for bringing in an experienced keeper !

2 minutes ago, hippo said:

You have to be seen to be getting value for money. Throwing money around promotes a 'fix it' culture. Theres a problem - lets throw £25m at it.  This windows is a one off and I am delighted with the money spent. Hopefully in the future we will be able to more precisely target the players we want - rather than a mad scramble on the last days of the window.

That said - Id be all for bringing in an experienced keeper !

The bit in bold says it for me.

33 minutes ago, terrytini said:

I am totally bemused as to why any fan would care what we are paying for players...

Maybe because -unless we are talking Man Citeh petrodollars- that money if finite, and  £30 million+ plus on two Championship forwards this window means less in the pot for future purchases.

Particularly when you see a Bristol City fan coming on here and saying their gun centre forward is probably worth closer to £6-8 million. 

2 minutes ago, HolteExile said:

Maybe because -unless we are talking Man Citeh petrodollars- that money if finite, and  £30 million+ plus on two Championship forwards this window means less in the pot for future purchases.

Particularly when you see a Bristol City fan coming on here and saying their gun centre forward is probably worth closer to £6-8 million.

Yes it's finite but don't you think the owner knows that and knows how much he is willing to spend?  We as fans should not care.  He will spend what he sees fit.  If he spends a sillly amount it's because he knows he can, and he knows he still has enough left over.  I'm with @terrytini on this as I never understand fans caring about the fee when all that matters is what ends up on the pitch.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, useless said:

The rumour is that he's not playing him because he came back in pre-season unfit and overweight.

4 minutes ago, pacbuddies said:

Let's hope we avoid any African players. We can't afford to have several critical players go missing for a month at such a busy and critical point in the season.

Snippets from these two consecutive posts gave me horrible flashbacks to the Agbonlahor situation last season.

I need to go and lie down for a while.