Transfer Speculation Summer 2016

Guest av1

1 hour ago, Didiersix said:

Quite. Can't imagine their wages will be that much different - perhaps now that we have (potentially) a bit more financial muscle, their drop in salary might not be so much. So less incentive for them to want to move away.

Pay rises all round then. Lord knows they deserve it.

8 minutes ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

For a striker maybe we could go for Moussa Dembele from Fulham? Dunno if he'd be interested in joining, maybe if we really are getting a windfall we could convince him, but he's on a free transfer and had a good season in the Championship this year.

Didn't Dortmund agree to sign him? He is so far out of our league. 

Gary Hooper would be a very good signing if Wednesday don't go up.

He proved enough in the last months, and he has got potential to score goals in the PL, too.

And Jonathan Kodjia seems to be a bargin, too.

So there are many proven Championship goalscorers that I can imagine comming here, and I would try to get one of those, if not a PL striker.

Edited by Denis242

No thanks to Gary Hooper - decent enough player but has been in the Premier League before and not set it alight.  Plus he's currently "in his prime", would rather spend money elsewhere on a striker.

Kodjia is too unproven for my liking, one decent season in the Championship but would be pretty risky.

If we're going down the risky route, I'd rather take a punt on, for example, Tom Bradshaw or Sam Winnall to see if they could cut it.

I've always appreciated Jordan Rhodes as a player for ages, obviously a Premier League striker and too good for the Championship. Only problem might be his adaptability; if we do get promoted, who knows if he could quickly adapt to Premier League football, considering he has played in the Championship for virtually all his career?

As for a goalkeeper, we could get Sergio Romero on loan with an option for a permanent transfer. Can have a bit of risky distribution but has huge experience at international level and a beyond-proven shot-stopper. Had 3 out of 4 clean sheets for the (few) matches he did play for United. Certainly better than Brad, no matter!

15 minutes ago, meme said:

I've always appreciated Jordan Rhodes as a player for ages, obviously a Premier League striker and too good for the Championship. Only problem might be his adaptability; if we do get promoted, who knows if he could quickly adapt to Premier League football, considering he has played in the Championship for virtually all his career?

As for a goalkeeper, we could get Sergio Romero on loan with an option for a permanent transfer. Can have a bit of risky distribution but has huge experience at international level and a beyond-proven shot-stopper. Had 3 out of 4 clean sheets for the (few) matches he did play for United. Certainly better than Brad, no matter!

I have my doubts. He is one paced and contributes very, very little for me.

1 minute ago, rodders0223 said:

Dembele has signed for Tottenham.

My main priority would be getting the characters and experience. Not players on their last pay day mind you (Lescott) who are no longer hungry.

Unless it's happened recently, he's still at Fulham. He was going to Tottenham in January, but it fell through and now his contract is expiring at Fulham this summer.

1 minute ago, obanken said:

Would Charlie Austin be an option even though he went to Southampton? Not sure what choice he will be there next season.

Possibly, tbh. He only played for Southampton a handful of times. I can see a lower PL team signing him up though.

43 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Possibly, tbh. He only played for Southampton a handful of times. I can see a lower PL team signing him up though.

He picked up a bad injury not long after joining them I think

Would take Will Hughes and Lewis Dunk for starters. Rico Henry for LB cover if Amavi stays, and for LB starting spot if he doesn't.

Then we need some more experience in midfield. Cheeky free transfer attempt for Michael Carrick?? Will be 35 but would boss the Championship. Charlie Adam would be good at that level as well. Bruno at RB has looked excellent this season. Need some better wide players (e.g. Knockaert), a GK and a striker and we'd be set. 

• Like 2

Think with the change of ownership we will be looking for more players from abroad rather than maybe the domestic route we were going under  with Holis and Bernstein making the decisions.

Remember if we're going to be spending minimum 20m down there...our wage bill will be 2nd highest behind Newcastle most likely (Hopefully sustainable) so the wages we'll be offering will be comparable with quite a few bottom half teams in top leagues around europe.

Interesting summer ahead I think, above just splashing money around for the sake of it we just need to get players in with right mentality, hopefully some leadership on the pitch, for the championship and of course long term back competiting properly in the premier league as the owner is demanding.

I don't think you can make any guesses until the doc declares his team below him and then the manager, the team below him at the moment is starting to sound disappointing, reserved until the manager appointment

The key signing for me is we blatantly need a new captain and I mean a proper day in day out voice within the club sorting us out not just a bloke stood there smiling with the ref on a Saturday afternoon

Carrick, Barry...Joey Barton....Leon Osman? An old head laying down the law

I'm close to saying the captain is almost as big an appointment as the manager, especially if we don't sell everyone, the daily life attitude of our players has to change

• Like 3