Transfer Speculation Summer 2016

Guest av1

37 minutes ago, DK82 said:

A proper winger who can cross, a right back who can defend, a keeper who can keep goal and a striker who can score.

Would like the right back to also have some sort of end product when he's set free on the overlap.  Even if Hutton were the best defender among the world's right backs I don't think I would have been able to bear watching him time after time picking up the ball on the run with acres of space and knowing it was going to result in f*** all in the end.

I would also like the/a striker to be able to make good runs so he can receive the ball in a position from which he can demonstrate his ability to score.  I suppose that would also require at least one midfielder who can win the ball and move it forward, either by carrying it or passing forward, without losing it.

Come to think of it, I think we need a new team....

• Like 1

8 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Think with the change of ownership we will be looking for more players from abroad rather than maybe the domestic route we were going under  with Holis and Bernstein making the decisions.

Remember if we're going to be spending minimum 20m down there...our wage bill will be 2nd highest behind Newcastle most likely (Hopefully sustainable) so the wages we'll be offering will be comparable with quite a few bottom half teams in top leagues around europe.

Interesting summer ahead I think, above just splashing money around for the sake of it we just need to get players in with right mentality, hopefully some leadership on the pitch, for the championship and of course long term back competiting properly in the premier league as the owner is demanding.

I'm starting to think we should vote to stay in the EU for this reason...

We need to get Barry back. He be able to boss the Championship especially against the better teams as he's getting on you'd have to pick and choose his games to a degree but as a leader and as a professional he'd be perfect to set the example and standard we require at the club. He was a regular at 17 yet you never heard stories of him in the papers. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dn1982 said:

We need to get Barry back. He be able to boss the Championship especially against the better teams as he's getting on you'd have to pick and choose his games to a degree but as a leader and as a professional he'd be perfect to set the example and standard we require at the club. He was a regular at 17 yet you never heard stories of him in the papers. 

You'd have heard a lot more about him if every single person had a video camera with them 24/7, as they do now.

I would love to see him back though. Can't see it, far too good for the Championship.

3 hours ago, dn1982 said:

Definitely all for this!

That's the view of Neil Warnock, a man that knows the league better than most.

Speaking to Sky Sports News HQ , Warnock was reacting to the news that Villa had been taken over by Dr Tony Xia. He also ruled himself out of a shock move to Villa Park.

He stated: “I saw the interview with the chairman and I think they’ve already decided who they’d like to manage the team.

“Steve Hollis and the group who’ve been there have decided who they want and it depends on what happens when the Chinese come in because they’re talking of spending £30 million.

“There’s no reason to spend that kind of money to get promotion from the Championship, but it doesn’t half help I suppose!

“Sometimes it’s a hindrance. The Championship’s one where you need team spirit, camaraderie and the fans behind the team home and away. You need to get characters in there."

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/aston-villa-gossip-manager-latest-11359697

Totally agree

• Like 2

At first I thought £50 million wasn't much I mean I know Xia doesn't have a budget as if he was more proficient speaking in English what he said would have been more like, "£20, 30, 50 million you know? Whatever the manager decides is necessary" so we could spend £30 million or £100 million this summer. That said looking into previous Championship transfer windows £30 million seems to be the equivalent of buying the league. I mean the only massive transfer figures I could find were players leaving Championship clubs for Premier League clubs for big money, not between teams in the same league though.

I like people before me here thought of Carrick.  And the reason:

Merson when he left us was out on his feet, but dropped down to the Championship and helped Portsmouth rampage that season.  

Portsmouth knew he wasn't up for the top level and let him go to Walsall.  He didnt do too badly playing wise for them, less said about his Managerial Career.

Carrick could be the Old Head we need in our midfield.

16 hours ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

Unless it's happened recently, he's still at Fulham. He was going to Tottenham in January, but it fell through and now his contract is expiring at Fulham this summer.

You are indeed right. I was sure he loaned back to Fulham as part of the arrangement but looks like the deal was scrapped.

12 hours ago, DK82 said:

A proper winger who can cross, a right back who can defend, a keeper who can keep goal and a striker who can score.

This.

But throw two Central Midfielders in there for good measure. 

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

You'd have heard a lot more about him if every single person had a video camera with them 24/7, as they do now.

I would love to see him back though. Can't see it, far too good for the Championship.

He's 35 not 65!! I know what you mean though all pro's have a personal life but it's how they are perceived that matters most  Hopefully Evertons new manager won't like him so he'll be available. 

52 minutes ago, Daweii said:

At first I thought £50 million wasn't much I mean I know Xia doesn't have a budget as if he was more proficient speaking in English what he said would have been more like, "£20, 30, 50 million you know? Whatever the manager decides is necessary" so we could spend £30 million or £100 million this summer. That said looking into previous Championship transfer windows £30 million seems to be the equivalent of buying the league. I mean the only massive transfer figures I could find were players leaving Championship clubs for Premier League clubs for big money, not between teams in the same league though.

The way I read it is that he's waiting until the manager has had a good look through the squad and decided what he needs to scrap, keep and bring in, but there will be a transfer kitty available straight away that wouldn't have been there under Lerner.  There's no point putting a number on it yet though.  It makes sense to me, there are obvious reasons why we can't and shouldn't blow a ridiculous amount right now, and they're going to have to work on ways of increasing revenue streams pretty sharp to stop us falling foul of FFP.

1 minute ago, dn1982 said:

He's 35 not 65!! I know what you mean though all pro's have a personal life but it's how they are perceived that matters most  Hopefully Evertons new manager won't like him so he'll be available. 

Time has changed in a short space of time. There is a video on the youtube of Barry when he was first coming through. He was playing first team PL football and still living in digs with an old lady associated with the club.

....anyways, Barry won't be coming back here. He will still be playing PL football next year...and probably the year after too.

For me, the two most important signings this summer will be two decent central defenders who can organise their respective full backs, and create a solid back line. A decent Striker and Right back would also be welcome.