Transfer Speculation Summer 2016

Guest av1

I might get shot down for suggesting it but I would like to see us sell Ayew (caveat: if we use the money well). My logic goes something like this: Goals are something the team has struggled with for a longtime. To be realistic challengers we need to score a lot more goals than are currently in the team on paper and McCormack can't get them all. Ayew and Grealish both play either on the left or the number 10 role - neither bring a lot of goals to the table and so I don't think we are a realistic challenger with both in the team. You would expect both to be in the first team at present. I would prefer to keep Grealish and sell Ayew and use the money on (for example) Bamford (who cuts in from the right) and has a better strike rate at this level. Any thoughts?

15 hours ago, PieFacE said:

Nothing, pure rumour. It seems we allowed both players to talk to OM, so I imagine we're not too fussed if they leave or not. 

they signed thauvin from Newcastle on loan today, hopefully don't come back for Veretout but gladly take sanchez :)

49 minutes ago, mallett said:

I might get shot down for suggesting it but I would like to see us sell Ayew (caveat: if we use the money well). My logic goes something like this: Goals are something the team has struggled with for a longtime. To be realistic challengers we need to score a lot more goals than are currently in the team on paper and McCormack can't get them all. Ayew and Grealish both play either on the left or the number 10 role - neither bring a lot of goals to the table and so I don't think we are a realistic challenger with both in the team. You would expect both to be in the first team at present. I would prefer to keep Grealish and sell Ayew and use the money on (for example) Bamford (who cuts in from the right) and has a better strike rate at this level. Any thoughts?

My thoughts are that it's a 46 game season and we'd be foolish to sell one of our only good players. Ayew needs to stay, but we could do with a proper line leader like Bamford as well. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, mallett said:

What McScoremack brings to the party is not just his ability to score goals, but his ability to provide assists, which is just as, if not more impressive than his ability to score. The past season, we have had a serious lack of enablers as we played literally and figuratively pointless sideways and backwards football. I am expecting more goals from the likes of Rudy once he finds his feet ( Hint: Rudy, they are those floppy things at the end of your legs. FFS use them.), and Ayew especially, with Grealish and Tish to occasionally chip in, as R Mac will hopefully provide that creativity.

5 hours ago, Daweii said:

Players for too long have under performed at our club, we may just need a potential 80 goals worth of strikers just to score 40 goals this season.

I hope that isn't the case, but I wouldn't fault any manager for being overkill considering.

I think we as Villa fans tend to think back and be pessimistic about how things turned out only remembering the under-performances. Just recently speaking for example, Benteke performed better for us than for Genk or for Liverpool, I would say Young played almost better if not similarly for us than for Man Utd, and certainly better than his Watford days. That's just a few obv, but if you go further back there's more, so my point is that yeah some players fail here, but they also fail at other clubs, and they sometimes succeed here, it's just the nature of football I think.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, sexbelowsound said:

Has there been any credible sources that link us to Hernandez?

think it came from the telegraph which is normally not too bad. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alreadyexists said:

I think we as Villa fans tend to think back and be pessimistic about how things turned out only remembering the under-performances. Just recently speaking for example, Benteke performed better for us than for Genk or for Liverpool, I would say Young played almost better if not similarly for us than for Man Utd, and certainly better than his Watford days. That's just a few obv, but if you go further back there's more, so my point is that yeah some players fail here, but they also fail at other clubs, and they sometimes succeed here, it's just the nature of football I think.

add downing to that list...

• Like 3