Anyone scared of death?

heskeygoalmachine

People are not scared of death IMO,  it's just when it is the problem.

If it was impossible to die whilst awake I would think it a lot easier on the brain to cope with it.

I disagree.

Obviously I'd rather die peacefully in my sleep then slowly and horribly.

But the biggest fear for me is the not existing afterwards. Not the actual process of dying.

Why should you fear something which - by definition - you won't experience? If you were aware enough that you "didn't exist" enough to be pissed off about it, then... you would still exist!

• Like 2

People are not scared of death IMO,  it's just when it is the problem.

If it was impossible to die whilst awake I would think it a lot easier on the brain to cope with it.

I disagree.

Obviously I'd rather die peacefully in my sleep then slowly and horribly.

But the biggest fear for me is the not existing afterwards. Not the actual process of dying.

Why should you fear something which - by definition - you won't experience? If you were aware enough that you "didn't exist" enough to be pissed off about it, then... you would still exist!

Because it's scary. I know I won't know anything about it, but the thought of just not existing, forever, is scary.

Yeah yeah I know it'll be the same as the billions of years before I was born. But it's still scary. I don't want to not exist

All of my previous joking aside, I think one's attitude towards their own death changes with life experience.  It changes when you experience a death that hits you hard and it changes again if you yourself are ever faced with your own mortality.  My only concerns about death are for who I will leave behind.  By definition all of my problems are solved once I'm gone, but because of my family's own specific circumstances it would be utterly devastating and that's what would upset me the most in the event of an illness that allowed one to do a lot of thinking.

1 minute ago, Rugeley Villa said:

same here, it unnerves me a lot.

I don't go out for a drink worrying about if I'm in danger, its just if I ever found myself in that position I wouldn't be able to say goodbye to my loved ones or anything like that

I know it sounds a bizarre to thing to say but if i had a terminal illness and knew I was dying I could prepare better and sort my affairs out. 

2 minutes ago, Xela said:

I don't go out for a drink worrying about if I'm in danger, its just if I ever found myself in that position I wouldn't be able to say goodbye to my loved ones or anything like that

I know it sounds a bizarre to thing to say but if i had a terminal illness and knew I was dying I could prepare better and sort my affairs out. 

yeah definitely see your point with that last sentence. 

12 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

same here, it unnerves me a lot.

You're far more likely to die in any number of stupid ways.

If you were American, you'd be more likely to die drowning in a toilet than in an international terrorist incident in every year except 2001.

Terrorism is exceptionally unlikely to be the cause of your death. The NHS, your home, and the weather are more likely to kill you, magnitudes more likely.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Chindie said:

If you were American, you'd be more likely to die drowning in a toilet than in an international terrorist incident in every year except 2001.

Terrorism is exceptionally unlikely to be the cause of your death. The NHS, your home, and the weather are more likely to kill you, magnitudes more likely.

completely agree with you, ive got more chance of dying on the road and is a far bigger risk but it does not take away the fear i have of this situation.

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

Like its unlikely any of us will ever win the lottery. But its worth doing, because there is always that chance, however small it may seem.

On 11/13/2015, 12:49:40, BOF said:

It's well documented that a sudden fascination or interest in one's own mortality (where that fascination did not exist previously) is often a sign of a serious downturn in one's own health.  That the body subconsciously knows something is seriously wrong long before you do, and sometimes long before it can even be diagnosed.  So I'd get yourself checked out if that's the case.

Of course what I've just written there is complete and utter balls and I was just playin'.  Sometimes I can be a bastard like that.

EDIT : This is in response to the OP!

You are terrible for this :lol: . Scare the ***** out of me

• Like 1

When I tried to end my own life about 18 months ago I remember thinking about all the possible things that people would remember me by.

I confided in my best friend at the time and he dealt with it in the best way possible. He just said "look Sam, I'm not completing Skyrim without you"

Made me realise people need you. However small. Since then, my life has turned around and I've been able to conquer all demons.

Now, I just think what a stupid **** I was.

Hail Sithis!

• Like 2

On 13 November 2015 14:04:32, chrisp65 said:

Providing their unproven untestable theory pans out for them, atheists have nothing to fear from death.

Neither should believers either if their unproven faith based on a load of fairytales in a book discredited by science pans out for them.

Anyway, if us atheists got it wrong we just have to say sorry. That's how it works right? :)

• Like 1

The majority of Christians say that you have to believe in Jebus to have eternal life. That's it. It doesn't matter what you've done. It's an exclusive club which includes Hitler and a lot of kiddy fiddlers. We encourage people who think this is moral to run our schools.

Why do we allow our kids to be educated to believe some fairy tales are "true"? We have to stop religion (any religion) having any kind of privilege. There is no place for religion in the running of any state. My taxes should not be used to indoctrinate children.

Don't get me started on religions not paying tax while taxing their followers. That's for a different thread.

• Like 3

Â