Anyone scared of death?

heskeygoalmachine

On 18/11/2015 at 16:56, Brumerican said:

Existing is alright I guess,  but I kinda like knowing that it wont be forever . It makes you appreciate it a bit more .

This is my philosophy also. Breaks my heart seeing the incomprehensible number of people living their life in fear of some judgement in an after life because they've had their head filled with nonsense by following [Insert any religion here]. Such a waste.

I wouldn't say I'm scared of dying, but it upsets the hell out of me when I think of what I'd be leaving behind.

I'd gladly give my life for my wife and my son, but at the same time I don't want to leave them alone.

10 minutes ago, SpanishVilla said:

Breaks my heart seeing the incomprehensible number of people living their life in fear of some judgement in an after life because they've had their head filled with nonsense by following [Insert any religion here]. Such a waste.

I find it quite humourous actually.  Staggering and baffling too in equal measure.  How people can really be that mental.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, BOF said:

I find it quite humourous actually.  Staggering and baffling too in equal measure.  How people can really be that mental.

I do agree but, I do have a small bit of envy for people that know they are going to die and go to Heaven. They don't live in fear, they get a certain amount of comfort knowing there is an afterlife.

What they "know" is, of course, untrue. But it doesn't matter once they're dead.
I imagine it gives them comfort in the later stages of life. I have a number of relatives for whom I know that was true.

Yep I get that Stevo, and it goes back to what religion is at its essence.  An emotional crutch for those incapable of dealing, or unwilling to deal with reality, whether it be for themselves or the loss of a loved one.  And it tends to expand/perpetuate itself by preying on the weakest in society who are most open to that suggestion.

I know people who quite openly only found God after losing someone.  Because it helped them to deal with the fallout.  On one level it's understandable.  Whatever helps someone I guess.  But on another it's completely mental.  You wish for something to be true and then just decide that it is :D  I'm off to wish for something Japanese in nature.

On 14/11/2015 at 13:20, Xela said:

I know it sounds a bizarre to thing to say but if i had a terminal illness and knew I was dying I could prepare better and sort my affairs out. 

And throw away all the butt plugs

• Like 1

funnily enough ... was just talking to Mrs H   about death ( well flying but to MrsH the two seem to go hand in hand) said I was going to hell where all the heavy metal bands hang out and going to party away the after life ..she reckons it would be full of choir music just to piss me off  ... now I'm undecided if I should repent and go to heaven where the heavy metal bands hang out  ....

33 minutes ago, BOF said:

I agree with Steve , it's a matter of comfort  ....  however much I disagree with these people , the comfort works better for them than the idea that their corpse is rotting away underground being eaten by maggots

It pisses me off no end when someone dies and a believer says "they've gone to a better place"  or "God blah blah blah "  though

2 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I agree with Steve , it's a matter of comfort  ....  however much I disagree with these people , the comfort works better for them than the idea that their corpse is rotting away underground being eaten by maggots

It pisses me off no end when someone dies and a believer says "they've gone to a better place"  or "God blah blah blah "  though

I'm with Stevo in so far as I understand why most people do it.  I just find it staggering that so many have come to the genuine conclusion that it's true.  Never mind the mentalists who go around killing for their own particular magic sky fairy.  A magic sky fairy who totes condones killing and rape, presumably.

• Like 1

Yep I get that Stevo, and it goes back to what religion is at its essence.  An emotional crutch for those incapable of dealing, or unwilling to deal with reality, whether it be for themselves or the loss of a loved one.  And it tends to expand/perpetuate itself by preying on the weakest in society who are most open to that suggestion.

I know people who quite openly only found God after losing someone.  Because it helped them to deal with the fallout.  On one level it's understandable.  Whatever helps someone I guess.  But on another it's completely mental.  You wish for something to be true and then just decide that it is [emoji3]  I'm off to wish for something Japanese in nature.

The opposite is almost as odd. My sister in law was a churchgoer until her aged father died of a heartattack. Which apparently demonstrated that there couldn't be a god. Dunno why she thought God would make an exception for her family.

Just now, mjmooney said:

The opposite is almost as odd. My sister in law was a churchgoer until her aged father died of a heartattack. Which apparently demonstrated that there couldn't be a god. Dunno why she thought God would make an exception for her family.

I was thinking this myself after reading the above comments.  Surely after losing someone or suffering some major tragedy, you'd be more likely to think there couldn't possibly be a God than suddenly thinking there must be a God to help me through this?

9 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

The common theme is you're dealing with an individual who is lacking in something.  They don't become reasonable by being religious. It's actually perfectly consistent behaviour for someone who I would regard as being the religious type.  A completely mental decision based on nothing.  Leave them at it I say.

"For whatever reason you refuse to feel this space we're in,
To know its insanity, really know it,
Whatever your particular anaesthetic is, that you hold onto so desperately,
The thing I mean that makes you think you know who you are,
Whatever that thing is that you allow to keep you sane,
Your ace in your hole,
The psyche that keeps you from trying to guess what your pimp has in store for you,
Whatever keeps you from screaming out at this very moment in absolute and sheer horror,
Whatever you **** your brain with, whatever that is,
Whatever that is,
It's a lie,
It's a lie."

43 minutes ago, BOF said:

I'm with Stevo in so far as I understand why most people do it.  I just find it staggering that so many have come to the genuine conclusion that it's true.  Never mind the mentalists who go around killing for their own particular magic sky fairy.  A magic sky fairy who totes condones killing and rape, presumably.

Hmm but thats yours and others belief that it isnt true, none of us know if its true or not whether we go to a better place, or are reborn whatever.  

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Hmm but thats yours and others belief that it isnt true, none of us know if its true or not whether we go to a better place, or are reborn whatever.  

Google Russell's teapot.

40 minutes ago, H said:

I was thinking this myself after reading the above comments.  Surely after losing someone or suffering some major tragedy, you'd be more likely to think there couldn't possibly be a God than suddenly thinking there must be a God to help me through this?

no he's just testing you :wacko:

I always thought the old 'footprints in the sand' story was a nice one.

Person looks back on their life as a walk along a beach. Points out to God that at every point there was a problem or a challenge the two sets of footprints turns in to one. 'Why did you leave me every time life got tough?' says the person. 'I didn't', says God. 'That's where I carried you'.

I like that one. Nice image.

(I am neither supporting, denying or condoning anything here, before the atheifascists get all riled up)

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I always thought the old 'footprints in the sand' story was a nice one.

Person looks back on their life as a walk along a beach. Points out to God that at every point there was a problem or a challenge the two sets of footprints turns in to one. 'Why did you leave me every time life got tough?' says the person. 'I didn't', says God. 'That's where I carried you'.

I like that one. Nice image.

(I am neither supporting, denying or condoning anything here, before the atheifascists get all riled up)

When I was younger, I actually bought that on a card and thought it was really uplifting.  Now I just think it's a pile of old toss :D

Â