Anyone scared of death?

heskeygoalmachine

3 minutes ago, Brumerican said:

You have billions of years experience at being dead . I doubt that was scary ?

The not existing part is actually quite comforting .

Yeah, I said that bit ;)

I don't find it comforting at all! I don't know about everybody else, but I quite like existing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah, I said that bit ;)

I don't find it comforting at all! I don't know about everybody else, but I quite like existing.

Existing is alright I guess,  but I kinda like knowing that it wont be forever . It makes you appreciate it a bit more .

• Like 1

Don't take this as morbid or depressing, cuz it's not meant to be. But there are sometimes when I wake up, and I think to myself, I'd have been happy just to stay asleep...forever.

Maybe this belongs in the sleep thread...

Here's something weird.

It's probably due to me coming to terms with my own mortality in recent years, probably because both my parents have/had cancer (terminal in the case of my dad)...

... but I'm so scared of dying that I've pondered, on several occasions, whether it's a good thing to have children (eventually) because I'm just bringing them into the world for them to die. Wouldn't it be nicer for them not to have to go through that?

Pretty **** up, and I've always decided I was wrong. But still.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

Ooh no, I've never had that particular conversation with myself.  I think we've all done a certain amount of philosophical musing about our own mortality, but I'd never not bring someone into the world just because they're sure to die at some point.  Besides, life is the journey, not the destination (given that we know what the destination is).

When I was younger I was terrified at the prospect of ever losing a parent, to the point where I genuinely wished that I'd be gone first to save me that pain.  Not necessarily that I'd die young, but rather that they'd live a freakishly long time.  2015 saw to that goal and then some, and now I've a new, different, but no less visceral view on life.

I think opinions on this thread will, quite understandably, be skewed by both age and personal experience, not to mention as I said above, personality.

• Like 1

Here's something weird.

It's probably due to me coming to terms with my own mortality in recent years, probably because both my parents have/had cancer (terminal in the case of my dad)...

... but I'm so scared of dying that I've pondered, on several occasions, whether it's a good thing to have children (eventually) because I'm just bringing them into the world for them to die. Wouldn't it be nicer for them not to have to go through that?

Yep, must admit I've thought similar things. Bring them into the world to likely watch everyone they love die then die themselves.

Obviously it wouldn't put me off totally but it does cross my mind.

Here's something weird. It's probably due to me coming to terms with my own mortality in recent years, probably because both my parents have/had cancer (terminal in the case of my dad)...

Yep, must admit I've thought similar things. Bring them into the world to likely watch everyone they love die then die themselves.

Obviously it wouldn't put me off totally but it does cross my mind.

I think the main problem there is over protection. Grieving is a fundamental part of life. You shouldn't be protecting someone from it. It's an important lesson to learn.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Very good film by Julien Temple on Wilko Johnson talking about the year he was diagnosed with terminal cancer.

Gorgeously filmed and both moving and uplifting.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b06qqrk9/imagine-autumn-2015-5-the-ecstasy-of-wilko-johnson    

Utterly brilliant film.

• 1 month later...

I'm terrified of the people I love dying but not about dying myself.  Well, I'm scared of dying depending on how it happens but I'm not scared of death itself.  What's to be scared of?  You won't experience it because you'll be gone.  It's a nice thought rather than a scary one.  As I said, it's far worse to lose someone than to cease existing yourself.

• Like 3

When I was a teenager I nearly drowned.In fact I blacked out and got rescued by some people in a boat.

18 years ago I had a major operation and during the night the doctors called my wife and suggested she come streight in to the hospital as I was not expected to make it through to the morning.On both occasions I felt a great calm come over me, it was so calm that nothing mattered at all...nothing.I expect death to be like this,something that will be accepted calmly when the time comes.After these 2 episodes I dont fear death at all. 

On 11/18/2015 at 17:34, BOF said:

When I was younger I was terrified at the prospect of ever losing a parent, to the point where I genuinely wished that I'd be gone first to save me that pain.  Not necessarily that I'd die young, but rather that they'd live a freakishly long time.  2015 saw to that goal and then some, and now I've a new, different, but no less visceral view on life.

This is one thing that I worry a lot about

1 hour ago, PussEKatt said:

When I was a teenager I nearly drowned.In fact I blacked out and got rescued by some people in a boat.

18 years ago I had a major operation and during the night the doctors called my wife and suggested she come streight in to the hospital as I was not expected to make it through to the morning.On both occasions I felt a great calm come over me, it was so calm that nothing mattered at all...nothing.I expect death to be like this,something that will be accepted calmly when the time comes.After these 2 episodes I dont fear death at all. 

they do say cats have nine lives so you have another seven :P 

• Like 1

My Nan is nearing 90, and has dementia. She has falls constantly - several times a week - and recently spent a night in A & E with a severe head wound. She has little to no bowel control, and enough sense in her head to consciously know how little sense she makes.

My friend's Nan is the same age. She had a massive stroke about 5 years ago, totally debilitating, but it didn't finish her off. She's been bed-bound ever since, barely able to speak. 

Now, my Grandad died a few years ago. It was a summer evening, right about sunset, and he strolled out to look at his runner beans, had an enormous heart attack and keeled over dead in the middle of the garden he loved.

See, it's not death I worry about, it's being helpless and incapacitated. 

• Like 2

Â