Anyone scared of death?

heskeygoalmachine

My son goes to a Church of England infant school. It's actually a lot less religious than the "normal" school I went to as a kid. 

He goes there because it's by far the best of the 3 local schools we have. 

I think an awareness of religion is a good thing. I certainly will not be pushing him to be living his life by religion.  Quite the opposite. 

20 minutes ago, Genie said:

My son goes to a Church of England infant school. It's actually a lot less religious than the "normal" school I went to as a kid. 

He goes there because it's by far the best of the 3 local schools we have. 

I think an awareness of religion is a good thing. I certainly will not be pushing him to be living his life by religion.  Quite the opposite. 

Don't you have a desire for it to be not religious at all? I'm all for teaching about belief systems, especially about the evil that they are inevitably distorted into. I'd say that's for older kids though. Do you think that an act of daily worship has a place in any state funded school? Worship for something which doesn't exist? That's just **** with their mental development. It's teaching them to accept things based on authority.

That it's the best state school in your area is irrelevant. It should still not be associated with any religion. Unless you think that the indoctrination is leading to better results.

It's more important to teach kids how to think than what to think. It sounds like you do this at home, that's good, but you should be able to reinforce what they do at school, not correct it.

• Like 2

I think all schools have a level of religion whether they are tagged as religious or not  

This school has very good academic results, far better than the other 2 local options. It also feeds into the best high school in the area which the other 2 do not.

In the grand scheme of things I think it's the best option, although not perfect.

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

I hear what you are saying , but they are just kids at the end of the day... When my cat of 21 years died and we had to bury him in the garden , do you think it was the appropriate time to tell my distraught kids who wanted to light candles and say a prayer that there is no God ? Bad news kids great nanny has died but don't worry we've found a nic skip we are going to chuck her in .... 

No. I'd prefer that they'd never been taught that gods are real or that "prayer" was any different than wishing. I recognise that it's hard to fix this after the fact, which is why we've got to stop doing it to new generations.

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I suspect that it wasn't you that taught them these things were true.

11 minutes ago, limpid said:

No. I'd prefer that they'd never been taught that gods are real or that "prayer" was any different than wishing. I recognise that it's hard to fix this after the fact, which is why we've got to stop doing it to new generations.

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I suspect that it wasn't you that taught them these things were true.

Off topic a little, but I hate that true talented poeple like footballers, thank God for making them who they are, when in reality, it is raw talent and graft that gets them there.

• Like 1

I'm not scared of death and I don't fear the sadness my death may cause others, though I'm also the kind of person to believe I won't be missed so that helps.. 

I've just never been one to be scared of things I have zero control over. I can't say when I'll die and how I'll die and that is nice to know as it allows me to live each day as if it is my last. I understand that the unknown can be scary and thinking about the multitude of ways life can take you out some painful, others less so can also be scary but you have zero control over it so I just get on with it.  

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, limpid said:

Yep you'd be correct

To my knowledge that isn't the message they are being taught , they aren't being told prayer will save you they are being taught it will comfort you .... it works for some and not for others but let them make that choice ... Same way I don't like modern art but I'm not going to stop  the school teaching them about it 

Imo Gods / religion are a part of our history and culture ...id rather schools were teaching it in this context with no reference to them being real

• Like 2

I went to a C of E primary school and we sang hymns and recited the Lord's Prayer every day. We had a couple of Muslims and Jehova's Witnesses who would leave the hall every time we did this. I'm not religious in the slightest but neither are my family really. They sent me there because it was the best school in the area. My parents didn't teach me about religion so it's not like they tried to counteract the religious stuff I would experience every day.

I guess what I'm saying is that I can see both points of view. Even though I went through this at school and I came out a heathen, I'm not sure I'd be totally comfortable sending my kids to a school that was so religiously orientated. Then again, I think I think a lot of it is down to the family life and parenting. In an ideal world I suppose we'd just do away with all religion in school and instead focus on being a good and decent human being. You shouldn't need religious doctrine to teach that really, but I suppose some people feel the threat of eternal damnation is needed as some sort of incentive to keep kids on the straight and narrow. Not that it works anyway.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, limpid said: No. I'd prefer that they'd never been taught that gods are real or that "prayer" was any different than wishing. I recognise that it's hard to fix this after the fact, which is why we've got to stop doing it to new generations.

Yep you'd be correct

To my knowledge that isn't the message they are being taught , they aren't being told prayer will save you they are being taught it will comfort you .... it works for some and not for others but let them make that choice ... Same way I don't like modern art but I'm not going to stop  the school teaching them about it 

Imo Gods / religion are a part of our history and culture ...id rather schools were teaching it in this context with no reference to them being real

The last paragraph is spot on but that's the issue. Schools are teaching them as though God is real. I remember having to say a prayer thanking God for my lunch every day. Didn't know God did the weekly Morrisons shop for us.

27 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Yep you'd be correct

Prayer to imagined beings doesn't work. Children shouldn't be taught to pray by the state.

I don't follow your modern art analogy. sorry.

27 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I agree, I hope they aren't part of our future, but I don't want them to be illegal. They can be personal. I don't want the state endorsing or funding any of them.

• Like 1

I'm not scared of dying,  I won't even know I'm dead, you want to know why?

Because I'll be f****g dead. 

Jim Jefferies.

On 13/11/2015, 14:39:59, Stevo985 said:

I disagree.

Obviously I'd rather die peacefully in my sleep then slowly and horribly.

But the biggest fear for me is the not existing afterwards. Not the actual process of dying.

I understand your thinking but the question is "scared of death".  The "not existing afterwards" is purely speculative in nature as you would not be here to fear that plus,  how do you know you don't exist afterwards.  Would you not fear death at all if you knew you would carry on as a erm,  chipmunk for eg :-)

So my sister who is 46 has had a couple of brain scans done cuz she's been complaining of memory lapses, concentration lapses, fatigue. Our dad's mum had Alzheimer's and my dad complained of memory loss in the few years before he died of cancer. (His brother also died of Alzheimer's, so its in the family blood).

So my sister's been worried. And rightfully so, because the results show a (paraphrasing) contraction of the brain, and brain matter loss well beyond normal for a person of her age.

Her doctors say it could be:

Lupus

Lyme's disease

Multiple Scelorosis

Alzheimer's

So, the first two are treatable, but still a struggle, the second two pretty devastating. She's getting bloodwork over the next month and should know what it is by New Years'.

It's really scary, TBH, and I am heartbroken that she has to deal with this, because she is just starting to make some real strides in her writing, but she hasn't written anything recently because she can't focus.

Edited by maqroll

Obviously that's all terrible news maq but just to say from personal experience of a family member that MS isn't necessarily devastating the later in life you get it. Obviously it can be, but not 100%. Best of luck to her though.

• Like 1

On 13/11/2015, 14:06:49, Stevo985 said:

Because it's scary. I know I won't know anything about it, but the thought of just not existing, forever, is scary.

Yeah yeah I know it'll be the same as the billions of years before I was born. But it's still scary. I don't want to not exist

You have billions of years experience at being dead . I doubt that was scary ?

The not existing part is actually quite comforting .

Â