Anyone scared of death?

heskeygoalmachine

Yes, lapal_fan, I'm OK with it. :)

I've been lucky. My parents died at 87 and 84, and they were ready to go, due to illness, so I hope I don't have that sort of miserable decline. But I've had (and am having) a good life. My missus survived breast cancer ten years ago, my kids are grown up and settled, I have a grandchild.

However, at this age, I'm definitely in The Zone where my contemporaries are at risk. Two of my mates have cancer, one has MND, and I've been to a few funerals lately.

But as for me, no, I don't fear death. Illness yes, death no.

• Like 1

Another point, I don't really care about "dying", it's the fear of the unknown and not being able to think, or communicate that's more scary.  The thought of not speaking to friends/family, being able to touch and feel.  It's a strange thing isn't it?

But no mass has ever been used on this planet, only changed.  So from these electrical synapses/impulses we call conciousness, I wonder what does happen we we break down/get incinerated :)

If it's come back as something else in another life, could I come back as Anna Kendrick's Sphincter please. :wub:

>_>

More seriously, I don't think it scares me. As it says in one of Pratchett's books, people tend not to be really scared of death itself, it's the moments immediately prior to it that mostly pray on people's minds. I think I go along with that.

I've been touched by it more than most in the last 18 months, I've seen both parents die. It was horrific. That process, those moments, are burned onto my conscious and the thought of it happening to me worries me. Not the end itself. I won't be aware of it, it's for those that follow me to worry about my actual end, a terrible but unavoidable thing. But immediately prior to it, the hours before and what will happen, that scares me on a very fundamental level.

I'm scared I'll die before I see the Villa win the FA Cup.

I think the thought of dying young, especially, is a weirdly scary thing. I mean where do we go. I cannot conprehend the thought of us just seizing to exsist. I mean when we sleep we are still kinda aware and dream. When your life is finished what happens, Say we die in a car crash today (terrible thought I know), is it a reality we go some other place. Very strange and something even up till now no one can ever prove. 

We can maybe all imagine death, but the not exsisting thing is something no one can begin to comprehend.

I love life and if I ever felt my life was in serious danger, I would be afraid. The fact that I'll one day be gone forever, I'm ok with though. 

I'm arrogant enough not to ever worry about death. I'm quite confident I'll live to be an old man.  Statistically, I'm likely to live past 80, so my brain ignores all other options and I live in blissful ignorance of the dangers I'm exposed to on a daily basis and the fact that illness could hit me at any time. It most likely won't happen, so why worry? 

Edited by Michelsen

I'm scared I'll die before I see the Villa win the FA Cup.

I think the thought of dying young, especially, is a weirdly scary thing. I mean where do we go. I cannot conprehend the thought of us just seizing to exsist. I mean when we sleep we are still kinda aware and dream. When your life is finished what happens, Say we die in a car crash today (terrible thought I know), is it a reality we go some other place. Very strange and something even up till now no one can ever prove. 

We can maybe all imagine death, but the not exsisting thing is something no one can begin to comprehend.

It'll be just like it was before you were born.

• Like 2

Â