Anyone scared of death?

heskeygoalmachine

Bit of a strange one as I have never really thought about it, but it hit me the other day that one day we will actually die, never to exist, be without our loved ones, not see our partner and kids. Or thought about seeing older relatives grow old and knowing sometime in the future they won't be here for us ever again?

Never really thought about it all before, but now it hit me it's bloody scary.

Yes, but mostly about how devastated my family would be without me.

I found out that a former work colleague died at the weekend. He was only 46, a year older than me, and it's really shaken me, to be honest.

Yes. I've seen many people die. The worst one was a pulmonary embolism. I would want to die of renal failure, slowly drift off. I know what you mean about partner and kids etc, some days I get to thinking who will die first, me or my wife? What will it be like for the survivor? We've been married 30 years, I can't imagine the world without her. Depressing shit.

• Like 1

I know it's the fact knowing that one day it's going to happen and we can't stop it. It's really shaken me lately and I can't get it out of my head. The Thought of knowing one day I will be without my girlfriend who I will

Make my wife soon as life is too short and my daughter literally breaks my heart. I havnt lost anyone close to yet, got both my parents and grandparents with me so I have to make the most of it, but as I have never really experienced a loss the thought of it kills me

• Like 1

Yes. I've seen many people die. The worst one was a pulmonary embolism. I would want to die of renal failure, slowly drift off. I know what you mean about partner and kids etc, some days I get to thinking who will die first, me or my wife? What will it be like for the survivor? We've been married 30 years, I can't imagine the world without her. Depressing shit.

I know how horrible must it be for the survivor,

Spending your whole life with someone then one day they are just gone and you will never see them again

The message though is don't sweat about all the irrelevant shit and just appreciate the hell out of every single day.

That is pretty much it, we can't change or worry about the inevitable, all we can do is really enjoy life and cherish every single day with our loved ones, because it's scary how fast time actually goes.

• Like 3

I fear the death event, but not what comes after it. I came into the world crying and then played and had fun and then grew cynical and afraid. Whatever is coming afterwards is likely to be similar to what came before - whether that be nothing or something - the something being an existence beyond language.

I just don't want death to be too painful, or undignified. Much in the same way I don't want my life to be painful or undignified. As for the people I'm leaving behind, if there is anything after death, then hopefully the relationships I've experienced during life will feature, and if there is nothing, then does it really matter what sort of life they've led, as once they've died they will forget it all ever happened, like a bad dream that they've immediately forgotten. Like those drugs you get during a bronchoscope that don't knock you out, but that just make you forget the agony you were in during the procedure. It's an odd thought really. And unique to a conversation about death.

You only die once. That makes it interesting. You have to die, but you can only do it once. And then something happens that you can prepare for in no possible way, aside from maybe following the teachings of certain books and people in the hope that having lived well and according to a pretty beneficent code, will ensure you have a good outcome once it's over. It's not an entirely radical idea. But knowing how to die, or what to expect afterwards. There's no brief given. It's the only experience that no one has been able to describe to you. 'What's MDMA like? Actually no.. tell me what dying is like?'

I fear elements of life way more than I fear death, or even dying. 

• Like 3

I've read stories of near drowning, and they follow a pattern. The drowner initially fights to stay above water in a panic. But once they begin the process of drowning, the first emotion is shame that it has all come to this moment of pure indignity and helplessness. But then a feeling of total euphoria sets in, which seems odd, but has been documented time and again in victims who have been rescued and resuscitated.

Edited by maqroll

I'm in the Final destination camp  :)    when your time is up , your time is up and I don't think you can change it so I don't fear it as such , it's inevitable ,I just don't know when 

I think If I was worried about death I wouldn't have visited some of the places I've been to on my travels ( though I think a lot of the perceived danger with these places  is in peoples " ignorance"   for want of a better word ) ... but saying that Iraq and Afghanistan are on my no go list  so whilst it's inevitable and I can't change it  ..I can stack the odds in my favour a little  :)

Only if it means suffering. If i get hit by lightning, no. Watching my dad wither away from lung cancer scared the shit out of him and all of us. Cancer is evil. So yeah, it depends. 

Doesn't get struck by lightning fry you from the inside? Don't fancy that.

Â