The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

Supposed "transfer committee" isnt the problem is it.  The players look to have some good quality.  The issue is how you use them when you have them. When we won the league we didnt have the star players as some clubs have: Muhren, Walk, Brazil etc.  But we used what we had better tactically and as a team.

• Like 2

I really don't get the fixation with British managers. How many British managers have won the Premier League since it was established? Just two: one was a genius and the other one was arguably a fluke.

I feel compelled to say that I'd argue it really wasn't a fluke. Anomaly maybe, but if that anomaly is about the Warner money then you'd have to surely dismiss Chelsea and Man City for the same reasoning. Dalglish took a team from the bottom end of the Championship Second division up through the playoffs and got 4th, 2nd and then 1st place finishes in the new Premier League. His 4th title. Becoming only the 4th Manager in history to win the title at two different clubs (Only he and Clough have done this since WWII). People often dismiss the 3 titles at Liverpool in the 80's because he inherited the best team in the land. But considering he took over after the Heysel disaster and managed them through what must have been an awful time up to and including dealing with Hillsborough and still winning trophies. Remarkable career as a player, as a player manager and as a manager.

• Like 2

I agree with all except the bold.....

I think both Lambert and Sherwood will at some point manage in the premier league again because I can understand the media fixation. I think both have been given a free pass by most over their results at the villa due to the medias fixation with our lack of spending, the ongoing sale and internal sagas. Plus it has and always has been about, not what you know but who you know, not in just football but in life. Also taking into consideration both are linked with jobs like Fulham, QPR and Blackburn I would not be surprised in the slightest if either ended up back in it at some point.

Lambert I could see managing in PL again either by bringing a team up or somebody like the Baggies taking a punt on him again.

Sherwood I'd honestly be surprised if he managed another club again at any level.  He deadset aged 10 years in barely 10 months with us, as arrogant and deluded as he is, have to think he's starting to understand his limitations / abilities as a manger.  Also not many clubs that would realistically would take a punt on him, yet to last a full season in charge, his tactical limitations have been well exposed and he learnt nothing from his short spell at Spurs.

I have a feeling the media will warm to Remy very quickly if we get a few results go our way early.  With Wenger getting older, the 'Arsenal Apprenticeship' story is an obvious one, cut his teeth at the Villa, get his 'Premier League' experience etc...

Interesting that Garde has changed their diets and banned sauces etc. Not sure what evidence he's basing it off but I like that he's looking at everything 

Er basic nutrition. Ketchup, brown sauce etc is full of sugar, salt and god knows what other shit.

For 50k a week I'd eat **** cardboard if the nutritionist told me to

• Like 3

I really don't get the fixation with British managers. How many British managers have won the Premier League since it was established? Just two: one was a genius and the other one was arguably a fluke.

Haven't only 6 managers won the league?  So, 33% of them have been British?

Haven't only 6 managers won the league?  So, 33% of them have been British?

7 in total. 1x Chilean, 1x French, 1x Portuguese, 2x Italian, 2x British*

Rest of the World 5-2 Britain**

Or in titles Britain** x14, Portugal x3, France x3, Italy x2, Chile x1

*("British" managers - English x0, Welsh, x0, N.Irish x0, Scottish x2)

** (Britain means Scotland, ok?)

EDIT: also only 5 different clubs and 2 of their managers were British and therefore 40% of them that way round bobzy. :P

Edited by VILLAMARV
  • Like 1

Supposed "transfer committee" isnt the problem is it.  The players look to have some good quality.  The issue is how you use them when you have them. When we won the league we didnt have the star players as some clubs have: Muhren, Walk, Brazil etc.  But we used what we had better tactically and as a team.

It's a problem if the manager doesn't agree with it and starts making political team selections to prove a point.

The fact Remi is ok with the arrangement is a good thing as he'll happily use the players that it produces.

• Like 1

Very strange way to argue your point as it could easily be countered by saying that of the 23 premier league seasons a British manager has won it 14 times.

I am not concerned of where a manager is from British or Foreign, more of his ability to win games and introduce a progressive game.

i understand that folk are using the distinction to speculate on the likelihood of success, but I think that is fanciful.

We just have to wait and see if Remi is the real deal.....but I do agree with him, he is not a magician and neither are British managers.

I am encouraged by a move towards a more expansive game, because in the long term I think that is the way forward for the club.....we have been imprisoned with this kick and rush style, up and at em, that has been tantamount to low grade football and managed to trap us in the lower echelons of the table for too long.

i only hope the transition will allow us to secure sufficient points to stay up and keep the manager in a job.

we have been caught in a short term approach for too long, we need to break out and explore a more sophisticated game, that will also help us with recruitment.

i believe it is right to pursue this route, but only time will tell.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

It's a problem if the manager, agrees with it when it makes him look good, then suddenly doesn't agree with it and starts making political team selections to prove a point.

The fact Remi is ok with the arrangement is a good thing as he'll happily use the players that it produces.

edited a bit for you mate.

• Like 1

Garde hasn't banned sauces just like he hasn't banned French! He's looking at their diet. It specifically mentions Pasta which normally comes with a sauce. Thankfully we have a manager who will look at everything to get the players in the best condition to play and I'm sure part of that's keeping them happy so having a bit of ketchup now and again won't be a problem. I wonder what the press will make out he's banned next week? Hopefully it's gabby!! 

I am not concerned of where a manager is from British or Foreign, more of his ability to win games and introduce a progressive game.

i understand that folk are using the distinction to speculate on the likelihood of success, but I think that is fanciful.

We just have to wait and see if Remi is the real deal.....but I do agree with him, he is not a magician and neither are British managers.

I am encouraged by a move towards a more expansive game, because in the long term I think that is the way forward for the club.....we have been imprisoned with this kick and rush style, up and at em, that has been tantamount to low grade football and managed to trap us in the lower echelons of the table for too long.

i only hope the transition will allow us to secure sufficient points to stay up and keep the manager in a job.

we have been caught in a short term approach for too long, we need to break out and explore a more sophisticated game, that will also help us with recruitment.

i believe it is right to pursue this route, but only time will tell.

You only need look at the type of clubs that have surpassed us in recent years to see that we need a new footballing philosophy to ever have a chance of competing again:

Southampton

Swansea

Stoke

All lauded for playing good football as well as winning games although for me, the former is the enabler for latter.

Â