The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

The goals will come soon, confidence is the key here. We say we have poor forwards but in reality they do not get the service they need. We were lucky having CB as he created alot of chances himself. The first job is to build a sound defense and build from there. I believe in a couple of months we will be wondering what all the fuss was about and will be scoring alot more as we make more chances.

• Like 2

Interesting to see Guzans comments in the mail. I remember Sherwood saying he was trying to be calmer on the sidelines due to the players requests. Guzan spoke about Garde quiet nature on and off the field. I think it suits our players.. that he is calm and not worried easily. That was a pressure situation against a very good side and we got a point. We just need to play the same way but possibly a bit more adventurous against lesser sides.

I dont think he will have Sanchez AND Gana against the lesser sides. He may go for a more attacking line up.

I think Sanchez will be an integral part to Garde's system.

• Like 3

If he can keep us solid at the back, I expect us to win 2-3 games before the turn of the year. However, I also expect those teams around us to do the same, so we will most likely still be in the bottom 3.

The key to our season now is going to be midfield. If you assume Ayew is going to be the main striker (although I wouldn't be suprised to see Gabby get a game sadly), then he probably has 5-10 goals in him, but that just isn't enough. We may sign a new striker in January, but we still need goals from wide areas, from midfield, and from our centrebacks from set pieces. We must be the worst team in the league when it comes to scoring from set pieces.

We have struggled to get the right balance in midfield since Petrov and Barry/Milner as the midfield pair, and I don't think a midfield 3 of Sanchez, Gana and Veretout is going to get us enough goals or chance creation against the lesser teams - although they were solid against City before tiring. Our one central midfielder who probably has goals in him is Gary Gardner, so it will be interesting if he gets a chance. If not, then I would somehow be trying to fit one of Grealish / Nzogbia / Sinclair into the midfield 3, on the basis that they would have to put in a shift, but they also give us something more going forward. I think that is very unlikely though - so the midfield goals remains the main thing that worries me and that Remi will have to address.

Out of interest is there anybody here that doesn't agree 100% with how Garde set us up tactically or his substitutions?

I personally wouldn't have brought N'Zogbia on as I think he left Amavi really exposed and City picked up on it and exploited it and it almost cost us.

But then I wouldn't even let N'Zogbia mind my car!

I was surprised at the inclusion of N'Zogbia in the squad and partly agree with this but at the time didn't really see what other options we had. Vertout had run his socks off (as had most). Grealish obviously wasn't an option. Maybe Richardson would have helped Amavi defensively more but wouldn't have provided the outlet that N'Zogbia did. When the team came out for the 2nd half it did seem that they had been instructed to play deeper, putting Bacuna, N'Zogbia and Gestede on a bit later may have been meant to try to take it to them more but who knows. Fortunately with a bit of luck it worked. I will be interested to see if N'Zogbia gets more game time against lesser opposition. Who knows Garde maybe able to get more out of him. Whatever works will do for me.

I like him more and more evry time i here him speak, he seems so calm and intelligent, i have a feeling that this is a man that knows what he is doing.

Someone said that he is a clone of Arsene Wenger, ive said it many times before, Arsenal are playing the most beautiful football i have ever watched.

And if he can get us playing something like that, i will worship him for the rest of my life.

• Like 2

I like him more and more evry time i here him speak, he seems so calm and intelligent, i have a feeling that this is a man that knows what he is doing.

Yep I like his persona, even if it's only judged on 90 minutes and a couple of interviews.

The guy is so calm he probably does a bit of hostage negotiation and air traffic controlling to help unwind after matches.

• Like 4

I think we will see a similar set up for the game at Goodison Park. I think the key for any new manager coming into this sort of situation is to stop the rot, and if we can get another point in that game then I can see the shackles being loosened for the home game against Watford.

Very impressed with him so far, I think he is the most tactically astute manager that we have had for a long time.

• Like 2

I am loathed to get carried away ( I'm a villa fan)

....but I am equally loathed to be as depressed with the team as i was.

loath

I am loath. It's an adjective. Similar to reluctant. Nothing to do with the verb or noun associated with hate

thanks for the English lesson, I'll finish it off with a spelling test.....it's loathe, with an eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

glass houses spring to mind,

ps Apologies.....you are right......humble pie on its way.:wub:

Edited by TRO

loath

I am loath. It's an adjective. Similar to reluctant. Nothing to do with the verb or noun associated with hate

thanks for the English lesson, I'll finish it off with a spelling test.....it's loathe, with an eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

I think he's right. Loath is unwilling or reluctant. Loathe is to hate.

I believe......

• Like 2

loath

Fail.

Edit: SBS is right. 

Edited by Michelsen
  • Like 1

loath

I believe......

Oh well, you know what I mean.

• Like 1

loath

I believe.....

He is right,......big piece of humble pie on its way to YLN.

I am loath to remind some that this a ****** thread about our new manager not somewhere to illustrate how much you loathe poor spelling. 

Pedantry is so boring and should be confined to sites about pedantry

i think Remi Garde will be a tremendous manager. He probably doesn't know the difference between loath and loathe either but as long as he knows his football tactics and how to coach, I don't give a flying ****!

• Like 3

As both loath/loathe comes from the same Old English root: lath/lað, I do hope that he avoids the German and French words from the same root while at Aston Villa: Leid (German) and laid (French)...

As both loath/loathe comes from the same Old English root: lath/lað, I do hope that he avoids the German and French words from the same root while at Aston Villa: Leid (German) and laid (French)...

This is the beauty of VillaTalk; it will be highbrow on page 59 but by page 62 we'll be on 50:50s, long throw ins and fish puns.

Edited by a m ole
  • Like 3

This is the beauty of VillaTalk; it will be highbrow on page 59 but by page 62 we'll be on 50:50s, long throw ins and fish puns.

Not too sure which page number you're on at the moment... 

Not too sure which page number you're on at the moment... 

Lost in the ether! I assume it's because I'm on mobile and post to page ratio is different.

Â