The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

I really hope he does well and propels us up the league for a few reasons

1. Obviously I dont want us to be relegated

2. It wiould mean the squad could in the main stay together and we dont have to rebuild again in the summer

3. It would show hoe really shit Sherwood is as a manager and hopefully mean he is not employed in that or any capacity at a football club again

It would also make all of the claims from the English managers old boys club sound like nonsense when they go on about Premier League experience and inexperienced Johnny Foreigner.  Not that it would shut them up.  But it would make them look sillier whenever they trotted out the claim after each managerial sacking.

This. You should of heard them on Talkshite this morning. It was vomit inducing, going on about Pearson, Lambert and Sherwood like they are martyrs.

• Like 1

It would also make all of the claims from the English managers old boys club sound like nonsense when they go on about Premier League experience and inexperienced Johnny Foreigner.  Not that it would shut them up.  But it would make them look sillier whenever they trotted out the claim after each managerial sacking.

This. You should of heard them on Talkshite this morning. It was vomit inducing, going on about Pearson, Lambert and Sherwood like they are martyrs.

It's tedious as hell. Are they not bored of it yet? 

We all hope Garde succeeds of course. If he does, then the evidence mounting against this "Premier League experience" and British managers for British clubs malarkey will surely be overwhelming. You'd have the likes of Pochettino, Bilic, Koeman and Garde stepping in and tearing their bigotry a new one. Not to mention Wenger who was managing in Japan prior to taking over Arsenal and those foreign managers who came with more experience such as Mourinho, Klopp and van Gaal (and the myriad of successful Chelsea and Manchester City managers). I didn't see anyone putting Pearson forward for the Liverpool job? So why should he be automatically acceptable for a "tiny no-mark" club like Villa?

Luddites. Jobs for the boys. Do one.

Overall, agreed - the bit in bold though?

We all hope Garde succeeds of course. If he does, then the evidence mounting against this "Premier League experience" and British managers for British clubs malarkey will surely be overwhelming. You'd have the likes of Pochettino, Bilic, Koeman and Garde stepping in and tearing their bigotry a new one. Not to mention Wenger who was managing in Japan prior to taking over Arsenal and those foreign managers who came with more experience such as Mourinho, Klopp and van Gaal (and the myriad of successful Chelsea and Manchester City managers). I didn't see anyone putting Pearson forward for the Liverpool job? So why should he be automatically acceptable for a "tiny no-mark" club like Villa?

Overall, agreed - the bit in bold though?

It was a little bit of sarcasm. I believe our potential is basically limitless, whilst that's not so relevant to the hear and now, I certainly think we are bigger than Nigel **** Pearson. 

Part of the annoying thing for me is they way that as soon as Remi, or any other manager (or player for that matter), does well, they'll be saying how astute they are, what a great job he did as Lyon, how great he's done at Villa and how it's no surprise to them. They'll never make reference to their original doubts or the fact that they'd written him off. It's win/win with most TV pundits, it's very rare they hold their hands up as say; actually I was wrong about him and he's good, etc.

Anyway, I know it's not the pundit thread so I'll stop my rant there.

That's a good point though DDID.  If we assume for a minute that the old guard genuinely think Pearson is the best English manager available, then why not the clamour for him when 'pool sacked Rodgers?  And why no moaning following Klopp's appointment?  I heard no comments at all from the old guard at the time pretending to claim Pearson would ever be good enough for them, and I heard no dissenting comments about experience when Klopp was touted or then hired.  On the contrary, he was being hailed as a coup for the league.  An exciting appointment by Liverpool.  Absolute f**king bare-faced hypocrisy.

But as you say, the perception is that while the 'big' clubs above a certain current standard are free from judgement to go shopping across Europe for whatever they feel will improve their prospects, we are supposed to limit our own ambitions to rooting through the bloodied basement floor for the best miscarriage to slide out of the Premier League in the past 12 months?  F**k the lot of them.

Nail on the head BOF. I had this conversation with a friend, a man of otherwise well balanced opinion. He said, "well, it's different coming in to a struggling club than it would be a Liverpool or even a West Ham". I tried to push him on why this would make it harder for a foreign manager over a British manager coming in to that situation, he was sketchy like they all are but it almost felt as if he were initially suggesting that "johnny foreigner" doesn't have the stomach for a fight.  

I mean total, outdated and arguably racist bollocks of course, but an interesting conversation nonetheless. Eventually he caved and said that it was general experience of adversity that mattered, that where that experience was gained was immaterial and that nationality was indeed irrelevant. The difference between my friend and the majority of the media is that you don't get the opportunity to present a different point of view, unless you are willing to pay £1.99 a minute for the privileged. They are free to spout their brand of bullshit almost uncontested. They live in their own little bubble, never challenged, floating randomly from story to story like a crisp packet in the wind (or Stephen Ireland on a football pitch).

I almost feel sorry for them. 

Good post. And don't forget all the scathing remarks about our young imported players. Just because Sherwood did not know how to manage them. It would be great to shove that one up them also.

• Like 1

Â